Why become a member? ×

Unusual Place for Gear

Thurbs

I turn up to Saturday's gig at a local pub. Usuall affair with the pool table being moved to one side and the resulting space being given to the band.

With lights, backdrop, drummer, a 4x12 Marshal and 2x12 Blackstar rigs there was no place left for me!

Luckily I slid the wonderfully small BFB midget under the pool table and all was well with the world.

Anyone else get forgotten about?

[attachment=149176:WP_20131123_001.jpg]

I was late once and they left no room on the stage for me. They didn't seem concerned until I asked why we weren't using bass tonight?

On another gig I arrived to find that they'd stacked all the chairs where the bass should be set up.

When we turn up I think about the space for the band. The others just think about themselves.

It makes you wonder about the intelligence of the guys you're playing with!

[quote name='allighatt0r' timestamp='1385381119' post='2287479']
I avoid this problem by arriving on time. This usually means I am the second to arrive (after the drums who always gets there early). The guitarists are always late, so they arrive last and have to find their own space. :)
[/quote]
John takes up enough space on his own , even before he's wheeled in his gear . He he

I don't have this problem with my current band as three of us turn up in the same car, plus the drummer likes to have my bass rig as close to him as possible so he always leaves enough room for me.

I was once in a band where everyone would arrive and set up their own gear, leaving me to set up the PA around them. I'd be constanty be hassled for a spare mic lead or stand while struggling by myself to lift a 15" cab onto a speaker stand and by the time I'd finished the PA and started to set up my bass gear, I'd find the harmonica player's fecking massive Fender bassman combo plonked exactly where I'd need to stand. There'd be enough room for my rig or me (plus double bass) but not both. I'd get helpful suggestions like 'put your amp on the other side of the stage and you stad on this side' or 'put your amp on the stage and you stand on the floor in front of the door to the toilets'. I did once suggest that the harmonica amp gop on the same side as the guitarists (30W 12" valve combo) amp, but apparently the guitarist didn't want that as he wouldn't be able to hear himself over the harmonica. Not sure why this woudn't be a problem for me....

I was also once in a band with a guitrist who would think nothing of unplugging my amp so he could plug his in.

[quote name='allighatt0r' timestamp='1385381119' post='2287479']
I avoid this problem by arriving on time. This usually means I am the second to arrive (after the drums who always gets there early). The guitarists are always late, so they arrive last and have to find their own space. :)
[/quote]

Yeah, it's usually me & drummer first...
Guitarists are always last to arrive.... in every band I've been in!

Besides, if they were to arrive before me, I'd just lift up their amp,
and put my bass amp underneath

If they objected to that, I'd just say
"well, you should've left me some space then"
and "Oh shall I put it on top of your amp then?" ;)

Sometimes works the other way.

In one of my bands, the singer who sometimes plays guitar (3 or 4 songs) put his guitar/stand in front of my amp, so I moved it in front of his. Cue hissy fit "no-one will be able to hear the amp with the guitar there".

I struggled to find a way to diplomatically say "it won`t be there when you`re playing it".