Why become a member? ×

November Composition Competition - VOTING!

Skol303

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1385622201' post='2290286']

Wow, that sounds like a lot of work mate.
[/quote]

Yeah it does look like a lot of work in writing! In practice it's a five minute job on autopilot once you're familiar with whichever plug- ins you're using.

The most fiddly bit for me is getting the level of fuzz/distortion right (something I always do with the full mix playing - rather than having the bass solo'd). After that it's easy peasy :)

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1385625071' post='2290302']

The most fiddly bit for me is getting the level of fuzz/distortion right (something I always do with the full mix playing - rather than having the bass solo'd). After that it's easy peasy :)
[/quote]

Agreed undercooked distortion can go unnoticed and over cooked can blend in and go unnoticed for other reasons.

2nd place - [b]AL-the-Bassman[/b] - the chord sequences had an equal blend of chilled and spooky! It was a real easy listening tune, with subtle changes in moods. The bassline is beautiful.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH SPACE CHICK
i really appreciate your comments
which baseline did you like? the LOW one?

Edited by AL-the-Bassman

I seem to have bagsied another vote - thanks for that, whoever you are! But I'm pretty sure that at midnight Spoombung was in the lead. So...

[b]Spoombung is this month's winner!![/b]

Well done on an excellent track, and also to everyone else who entered. I'll be posting up some feedback on each ASAP.

December's competition will be launching soon. Check press for details, etc :)

Nice one Spoombung, it was a superb piece.
Skol, I loved yours. The first 'movement' of your composition is probably my favourite of any piece of this entire competition so far.
My vote actually went to The Boy this month, as it really grabbed me and captured the feeling of the image for me

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1385881171' post='2293080']
Nice one Spoombung, it was a superb piece.
Skol, I loved yours. The first 'movement' of your composition is probably my favourite of any piece of this entire competition so far.
My vote actually went to The Boy this month, as it really grabbed me and captured the feeling of the image for me
[/quote]
Thanks mate..... I really enjoyed this months picture. I wish I'd had more time as I really enjoyed the challenge. I had a few good ideas to add after I'd entered but that's life.

Well done again to Spoonbung it was a great track. Skol nearly had you at the end but it's all in the timing. Lol.

Thanks for all the nice comments about my track. There were some terrific tracks this month. Blimey, if was a close thing, eh?

What a shame hardly anyone on the forum seems to know about the competition... or maybe they do know but are not interested in listening to other people's music and don't feel like voting? Who knows? Anyway, as far as I'm concerned it's what it's all about in the end: making and producing music...not 'what strings do you use?' and all that stuff!

I'll sort out a photo this evening for December. I've noticed several requests to avoid Santa so I'll bear that in mind...

Well done, Spoombung, it was close (...and I confirm that Spoomy was, indeed, ahead at midnight, GMT...). As to the turnout and voting numbers, I suppose it's like the rest. Some folks are interested, and others not. That seems to be the way that cookies crumble. I know who I think loses out, but...
As for 'real' basses being used, it's a fair comment, except that we are not all bassists here (should we be..? :/ ). Even then, as a drummer, I've not used my acoustic drums on any tracks here (at least, not yet...). The idea of the challenge was not, originally, to be a showcase for any individual's playing (excellent though that is for many here...); more the creation of original music, however it's played. Nothing to prevent a different 'competition' being set up, maybe, but I, for one, would certainly not be able to participate with any credibility. OK, that's no bad thing, I hear you ( collectively...) shout, so I'll shut up now. 9_9
Well done again, although I was unable to really choose between any of this month's entries. Great stuff, all... B|

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Spoombung' timestamp='1385897571' post='2293222']
What a shame hardly anyone on the forum seems to know about the competition... or maybe they do know but are not interested in listening to other people's music and don't feel like voting? Who knows? Anyway, as far as I'm concerned it's what it's all about in the end: making and producing music...not 'what strings do you use?' and all that stuff!
[/quote]

I notice it, Spoombung - I just don't believe I could compete, so it's kept me well away in the past.

Funkjohn, let me know how you get on at Argos. Am looking forward to your composition - I wonder if it will be more EMF or ELC :)

[quote name='Funkjohn' timestamp='1385909250' post='2293440']
Also if spoonbong is rated 57th best bassist in the uk, playing real bass should be a minimum requirement .
[/quote]

Hahaha!

To answer your concerns I don't always bother playing bass on orchestrated tracks like this where the chord sequence and melody rule. As far as the composition is concerned It's just a matter of sorting out all the harmonic modulations with the palette of colours that Logic affords. I get no satisfaction from playing the bass in this kind of role - where it's fairly functional and supporting the chords. In this case a double bass sample was used and I programmed it with a few grace notes and fiddled with the dynamics to make it fit in. The important point is I can't actually [i]play[/i] double bass - it's not my instrument. And all the other instruments are fake anyway!

I also write very noise -based electronic stuff and rarely use a bass with that too.

Where I [i]do[/i] like to play [i]real[/i] bass is the hybrid music in between the two approaches because it can play a more prominent role. That's where I see myself and I mainly reserve the bass guitar for an experimental approach.

My main project at the moment is my band, Prescott. That's just me playing bass with a drummer and Keyboardist. The bass is very [i]real[/i] in that one.