Why become a member? ×

New EP by EddieHimself (Metal/Metalcore I suppose you would call it)

EdwardHimself

Hi guys, I know it's been a long time, but I've just released a new EP I thought you may want to listen to.

[url="https://soundcloud.com/eddiehimself/sets/ehep"]https://soundcloud.c...mself/sets/ehep[/url]

Obviously not the most pristine sounding, but f*** it: I did it in my bedroom, not some multi-million-dollar recording studio! If you like it, feel free to throw us a like on fb. If you have a band page, send us a message and I will do a like for like :)

[url="http://facebook.com/EddieHimselfMusic"]http://facebook.com/EddieHimselfMusic[/url]

Edited by EdwardHimself

Dewd! I really like it. Very good songs and I like your voice a lot, I presume it's you. It's a very bass-light mix though. You might be able to fix that reasonably quickly. I think I would prefer a slightly expanded vocal sound if I was mixing it, maybe a bit of stereo widening. The balance of everything is very good, just needs more low frequency, get it pumping man!

Overall I think it's a ace effort, easily enough emotional drive in there. I really feel immersed in it, I believe you. Totally credible in all respects except the mix.

Top work, old egg.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1385150318' post='2285142']
Dewd! I really like it. Very good songs and I like your voice a lot, I presume it's you. It's a very bass-light mix though. You might be able to fix that reasonably quickly. I think I would prefer a slightly expanded vocal sound if I was mixing it, maybe a bit of stereo widening. The balance of everything is very good, just needs more low frequency, get it pumping man!

Overall I think it's a ace effort, easily enough emotional drive in there. I really feel immersed in it, I believe you. Totally credible in all respects except the mix.

Top work, old egg.
[/quote]

I appreciate your feedback. What I would say is that it's really difficult to get the bass heard without either drowning out the kick drum or having a really boomy sounding mix. I worked on boosting the frequencies on the bass guitar round the 150-200Hz range rather than the fundamentals to give it enough bass but also give the kick drum some room and keep the whole thing sounding tight. As far as I'm concerned, the bass is definitely there, you just have to listen out for it. I'm glad you liked the songs though.

Edited by EdwardHimself

[quote name='EdwardHimself' timestamp='1385211085' post='2285626']
I appreciate your feedback. What I would say is that it's really difficult to get the bass heard without either drowning out the kick drum or having a really boomy sounding mix. I worked on boosting the frequencies on the bass guitar round the 150-200Hz range rather than the fundamentals to give it enough bass but also give the kick drum some room and keep the whole thing sounding tight. As far as I'm concerned, the bass is definitely there, you just have to listen out for it. I'm glad you liked the songs though.
[/quote]

Frequency management dude. I can hear the bass, but the overall mix is bass light. I really can't see it being a problem to fix that, seeing as you wanted to an all.

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1385212596' post='2285650']
Welcome back, Ed - sounds good. I think I'd echo Nige's comments about the bass, but - having lost myself in the mix before - I appreciate it's difficult.

Very impressive :)
[/quote]
[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1385219598' post='2285732']
Frequency management dude. I can hear the bass, but the overall mix is bass light. I really can't see it being a problem to fix that, seeing as you wanted to an all.
[/quote]

Well seeing as I posted this in a bass forum, I would expect comments about the bass not being loud enough. When you're listening out for something in a mix, I find the temptation is always to grab that fader and put it up a decibel or 2. I'm sure if I'd put it on the drummer forum, they would have said the drums weren't loud enough, or if I'd put it on a guitar forum, they would have said the guitars weren't loud enough. It's not exactly [i]...And Justice for All[/i] though, let's face it ;) Thanks for your comments though. I will take them on board for future reference.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' timestamp='1385644473' post='2290588']
Well seeing as I posted this in a bass forum, I would expect comments about the bass not being loud enough. When you're listening out for something in a mix, I find the temptation is always to grab that fader and put it up a decibel or 2. I'm sure if I'd put it on the drummer forum, they would have said the drums weren't loud enough, or if I'd put it on a guitar forum, they would have said the guitars weren't loud enough. It's not exactly [i]...And Justice for All[/i] though, let's face it ;) Thanks for your comments though. I will take them on board for future reference.
[/quote]

Er, no.

I am very objective about mixing, the song is king, I tend to be completely unaffected by individual instrument love. Possibly because I play bass, guitar, and drums, and vocals, and a bit of simple keys.

Do some comparisons with other bands you like of a similar style, see if the low freqs are lower than yours to get some perspective.