Why become a member? ×

Why The Fee ??

smurfitt

I reserve a special hatred for Mike Mansfield. I'd lock him in a room and force him to watch all his stupid out of focus videos on a never ending loop.

Back on topic.

I only ever tried to sell one thing on Gumtree and I got swamped by Nigerian scammers. If £7 keeps those arseholes away from the For Sale section then it's all good by me.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1384945272' post='2282524']
I reserve a special hatred for Mike Mansfield. I'd lock him in a room and force him to watch all his stupid out of focus videos on a never ending loop.

Back on topic.

I only ever tried to sell one thing on Gumtree and I got swamped by Nigerian scammers. If £7 keeps those arseholes away from the For Sale section then it's all good by me.
[/quote]

A Facebook friend of mine advertised for a flat-mate on Gumtree. She was shocked and sickened to actually receive emailed 'photos of men...err... 'posing' shall we say. It's not a good place to advertise, that's for sure.

[quote name='ubassman' timestamp='1384903896' post='2282277']
Plus you get all the fun of dealing with the unknown, unwashed public on ebay ( the good, the bad, and the downright dishonest and ugly!).
[/quote]

Ebay-wise : I'm on my third timewasting, non-shipping, non-refunding, communciation-challenged seller in a row. Set a decent reserve/sensible start price you muppets, then you wont be disappointed at the final hammer price. Never been stiffed on here.

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1384902490' post='2282258']
I'm confused now.

Is this Strat mint condition, or mint coloured or mint flavoured? and where does the custard fit in?
[/quote]

Spaghetti custard could work, sort of like a sweet macaroni pudding. If there's a choice, I prefer maple syrup to rosewood.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1384945272' post='2282524']

[/quote]

Mike Mansfield was never in Focus

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4ouPGGLI6Q"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4ouPGGLI6Q[/url]

I think the fee is reasonable for a dedicated bass website. The way I get through gear the £20 for one year payment is well worth it.
I did manage to laugh eventually when I was accused by the mods of fishing for a sale of a bass in my own for sale thread, resulting in deleted posts. Haven't had that on Ebay or Gumtree yet.

I couldnt see the following lasting long on BC :-

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/221308-this-is-the-new-usa-style-fender-headstockinnit/"]http://basschat.co.u...headstockinnit/[/url]

Members and the Mod team work hard to filter out scammers, rouges and wrong-uns and thankfully not many slip through the net . Thats got to be worth £7 ? ;)

Edited by ubassman

People might laugh at Mike Mansfield but he has enjoyed a long and fruitful career as a TV producer. Why, only recently in 1995 Mike produced 'Tiger Bastable: The Case of the Nazi Mindbender' ([i]TV movie[/i]) starring Tony "Oh, just another one" Slattery.

[color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=3]"Maverick private-eye Tiger Bastable is called in by Scotland Yard to investigate the mysterious disappearances of young men and women from English public schools."[/size][/font][/color]

Phew! Throw in Mansfield's regular gig as Clarky's 'hangover double' in the world of Big Pharma and we're talking about one spicy meatball.

[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1385001955' post='2283407']
Phew! Throw in Mansfield's regular gig as Clarky's 'hangover double' in the world of Big Pharma and we're talking about one spicy meatball.
[/quote]

I'm sitting in steerage on the 0641 from Slough up to the big city, laughing out loud.

Good to have you around, Skank.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1384901576' post='2282230']
There you go then, he's got loads of marvellous options to save £7 by going elsewhere instead of selling a £900 Stratocaster on a bass forum.
[/quote]
£900 mate for a custom shop....are you having a laugh? It's more than double that and it's not near mint....it's MINT!
Btw I'm not male so all your assumptions are totally incorrect.
£7 might be worth it for as many adverts as you want to put but I'm only selling one item and its a guitar so doubtful it would strike up much interest amongst bass players and how likely are you to tell your 'bandmates' there's a guitar for sale thats going to cost them a packet.
Yes, it was free last time I used this site to source a ltd edition bass so I was surprised that it cost £7. It would be far more profitable to charge £1 for every item that's advertised whether it be a set of strings, fx processor or expensive axe.
I wouldnt use evilbay but rest assured it got advertised on reputable sites. It's a shame your guitar buddies didn't get to hear the full details about an amazing guitar that is a worthy investment.

[quote name='smurfitt' timestamp='1385681939' post='2291236']
£900 mate for a custom shop....are you having a laugh? It's more than double that and it's not near mint....it's MINT!
Btw I'm not male so all your assumptions are totally incorrect.
£7 might be worth it for as many adverts as you want to put but I'm only selling one item and its a guitar so doubtful it would strike up much interest amongst bass players and how likely are you to tell your 'bandmates' there's a guitar for sale thats going to cost them a packet.
Yes, it was free last time I used this site to source a ltd edition bass so I was surprised that it cost £7. It would be far more profitable to charge £1 for every item that's advertised whether it be a set of strings, fx processor or expensive axe.
I wouldnt use evilbay but rest assured it got advertised on reputable sites. It's a shame your guitar buddies didn't get to hear the full details about an amazing guitar that is a worthy investment.
[/quote]

You are clearly 95% cocoa butter.

It would be far more profitable to charge £1 for every item that's advertised whether it be a set of strings, fx processor or expensive axe.
[/quote]

Would it? Shame you didn't mention that when the management put up a thread to ask the membership's opinions on sale fees. It would have helped shape the policy.

Anyway, have you actually got any figures to prove that £1 is the optimum fee? Or is that just idle pique at being asked to contribute anything at all to our community. AFAICS, you're halfway trying to shill your Strat for free and halfway having a whine at the forum.

[quote]an amazing guitar that is a worthy investment.[/quote]

FANTAsTIK GIUTAR - sO GOOD I WLL ONY PAY £1 ToO AVDERtIZE IT LULZ

Edited by skankdelvar

[/quote]
If you're that confident of getting a sale here, it kinda begs the question: [i]why the blinking flip do you want to advertise it here in the first place?[/i] It pretty much confirns what Skank said -- you just wanted a free ad.

Haven't been here for a while. Used to do quite a lot of trading basses and gear in the free olden days. This was the first I noticed about the charging. Just coming up for some major reverse GAS - suppose I'll sign up for a year's worth in the New Year - when the light improves and I can get some decent pictures! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.

[quote name='NAS' timestamp='1386016025' post='2294699']
Haven't been here for a while. Used to do quite a lot of trading basses and gear in the free olden days. [/quote]

Pay your twenty quid (a set of strings or about half the price of a reasonable night out) and then it IS free! :)

Edited by Conan