Why become a member? ×

Why The Fee ??

smurfitt

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1384895642' post='2282105']
Only other free ones I can think of are Preloved or Free-cycle maybe they are the etc?
[/quote]
There you go then, he's got loads of marvellous options to save £7 by going elsewhere instead of selling a £900 Stratocaster on a bass forum.

Some of us (me) said at the time a fixed up front fee was a bad idea because it would put off new sellers and result in a stagnant marketplace with the same group of regulars just passing around the same stuff. Ultimately it's the new people finding us through google and signing up to sell stuff that keeps the marketplace going. I'd be very interested to see some numbers on ads posted before and after the fee.

[quote name='lazybones' timestamp='1384902368' post='2282256']
was shocked how much e bay cost,,12% if i remember correctly which on a 700 quid guitar is £49
[/quote]

Plus you get all the fun of dealing with the unknown, unwashed public on ebay ( the good, the bad, and the downright dishonest and ugly!).

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1384908429' post='2282319']
So, not much different to here then? Sure, here, there's the myth that this is a "community" and we're all honest, fair-dealing chaps. Unlike eBay then, where there are protections for buyers and sellers, here, you can absolutely rely on the other party being honourable. No chance then that, when goods arrive damaged, either because this happened in transit or they were dispatched that way, instead of rejecting the goods, as you most likely would on eBay, you liaise with the other party - taking photos, getting insurance valuations, paying for repairs - with the agreement that repair costs will be met by the other party they'll never pay up? Of course not, that sort of thing would never - could never - happen on Basschat, heaven forbid, because we're all such honest, fair-dealing chaps. Couldn't ever be any downright dishonest sorts here.
[/quote]

That sounds like a nightmare, but I'm not sure that this is the place to bring it up?

That said, it would be useful for the rest of us to know about whom you speak! :unsure:

[quote name='bobbass4k' timestamp='1384902858' post='2282269']
Some of us (me) said at the time a fixed up front fee was a bad idea because it would put off new sellers and result in a stagnant marketplace with the same group of regulars just passing around the same stuff.
[/quote]

We should have closed the site off for new Members in 2009, kept it select and exclusive instead of allowing just anybody to join. I mean, for God's sake, what sort of Inner Sanctum can you be proud of belonging to when people from all over the country are allowed free access, and some of them even slap their instruments.

Why, I've seen posts from people in the most obscure and unfashionable places, and I do believe there are even some Basschatters of the female persuasion.

Where will it all end?

No, I'm sorry, I draw the line at guitarists, especially bolshy ones trying to sell Stratospheric ones. Wrong wrong wrong. Granted, it has the correct name on the headstock, but that isn't enough for it to gain "honorary bass" status.

;)

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1384910425' post='2282333']
It's certainly not a regular occurrence but we do get a few chancers.

We mediate as best we can and have a surprisingly good success rate.
[/quote]+1 there is a few Tossers on here I dealt with one and a big plus one to the mods for sorting it out :) but I can hand on heart say it wont put me off buying and selling here because most people on here are great to deal with :)

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1384939662' post='2282442']
I can hand on heart say it wont put me off buying and selling here because most people on here are great to deal with :)
[/quote]

I have a Spector for sale if you'd like another positive buying experience... ;)

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1384938854' post='2282432']
We should have closed the site off for new Members in 2009, kept it select and exclusive instead of allowing just anybody to join. I mean, for God's sake, what sort of Inner Sanctum can you be proud of belonging to when people from all over the country are allowed free access, and some of them even slap their instruments.
[/quote]

Errm, so you're not one of the Super Members (admission by invitation only) with access to the "special" extra fora and exclusive use of the Pall Mall clubroom? Frankly I'm surprised they haven't asked you - but it does explain why I've never seen you at any of Ped's informal "champagne and truffle" soirées.