Why become a member? ×

Peavey DPC 1400X or KMT DC5? Other? Opinions!

Ghost_Bass

Hi, i'm looking for a 1U class-D poweramp wich can put out at least 1000W at 4ohms (bridge mode).

I narrowed my choices at two (or three) amps:

1 - Peavey DPC 1400x:

1400W at 4ohms in bridge mode but very hard to find. Only one i see available is new and cost about £560. Has a fan but the link must be made through the terminals, either with a banana jack or with bare wire.

2 - KMT DC5:

1000W at 4ohms in bridge mode. I can get a new one with waranty for about £350. Has a fan and has a dedicated speakon output for bridge mode.

3 - Stewart World 1.2:

1200W at 4ohms in bridge mode. I can get a used, local one for about £400. It doesn't have a fan (and i've read people complaint about it shutting down due to overheating) and has to be linked with banana jacks or bare wire.

I think you can tell from my description that the DC5 is the one with more appeal for me at the moment but i've been reading lots of good reviews on the Peavey amp. I'm looking for opinions of BC'ers who have tried or heard any of this amps. Whats the pros and the cons, etc.

I have a fourth option on the table but it's in standby. It's one of the new Crest Audio Prolite 2.0 poweramps. 2000W at 4ohms 2U with dedicated speakon for bridge and retailing for about £525, new plus P&P.

Oh! The chosen amp will be pushed by a Yamaha PB-1 (lots of output) and is going into my Barefaced S12T (~1200W at 4ohms). I'll never use it at full blast so don't worry because i'm not going to burn the cab. I'm just looking for the headroom, not the power.

Cheers
Marco

I don't mind the weight. I'm not looking for lightweight (i have that covered with the Promethean and the Thunderfunk).

The DC5 is also heavy (10Kg) and a bit deep but that doesn't mather because the Yamaha PB-1 is a deep preamp and i can't use a shallow rack with it.

Another thing i haven't posted on my topic is that the DPC 1400X is a 1400W [b]class-D[/b] poweramp and the DC-5 is a 1000W [b]class-H[/b] poweramp. I'm guessing that the DC-5, will sound a bit bigger than the DPC even with less power, what do you think?

Edited by Ghost_Bass

[quote name='E sharp' timestamp='1384981759' post='2283184']
Surprised no ones mentioned Powersoft yet . Not the mega expensive K range , but the more affordable 2nd hand cheaper ones - supposed to be really good
[/quote]

Well, i can only find the very expensive ones on the web. If you have any links for cheaper/used models i would apreciate.

Can't find any now , but the one I was thinking of , was the D2004 2nd hand . Go for around 5-700 pounds . Dood used to have one (though , what hasn't he had he he) . These are sort of the bottom end ones , but do a search on Google , and you'll be hard pushed to read any negativity about them .

[quote name='E sharp' timestamp='1385042989' post='2283754']
Can't find any now , but the one I was thinking of , was the D2004 2nd hand . Go for around 5-700 pounds . Dood used to have one (though , what hasn't he had he he) . These are sort of the bottom end ones , but do a search on Google , and you'll be hard pushed to read any negativity about them .
[/quote]

That specific model doesn't do 4ohms in bridge mode. It' in fact does 1000W at 4ohms on stereo but i think it's silly to cart one poweramp channel not to be used, of course with class-D material this isn't a big issue.

I'm close to closing the deal on the DC5, It's a class-H poweramp and does 1000W bridegd at 4ohms. More than enough headroom for me and plenty of power to push the S12T on a big stage if i ever need it. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

So here's my small review of this great little amp:

The 1kW stated is real, not digital watts but real world analogic watts. It's light but deep, wont fit on the shallow racks. Looks and feels robust, metal chassis, well put together. The speakon speaker output for bridge mode is very helpfull. The amp has a three way switch (actually one for each channel) where you can choose between full-range, top ou sub operation.

Soundwise it has a very big freq range, it was AB'ed next to a Crown Macrotech and a Glockenkand Bugati, the KMT showed a bigger sub bass extention (this can be good or not, depending of the type of sound you're looking for). The highs are all there. It's a true full-range amp, no freqs being scooped.

On a live scenario, using with my Yamaha PB-1 preamp and through my S12T it delivered a solid low-end that brought a smile on the drummers face. I ended up feeling that my sound needed a bit more mids to cut better but that was due to my settings on the EQ and also to old strings. I guess i got carried away with that thick and punchy low-end during soundcheck and forgot all about the mids. ;)

I had one issue with it though, mid gig i noticed that the LED for the "ready" indicator stopped working but the amp was still working as it should. Will check with the manufacturer to see how they handle this.

I reccomend it to anyone looking for a powerfull but small poweramp. It's 1U rack space, weights about 9kg and goes up to 1000W at 4ohms in bridge mode.

Cheers

After sending KMT a e-mail regarding the LED and if i could fix it myself i got a reply from them in less than one hour saying that they would send me a new LED and i could replace it without loosing waranty (no need to send it back to germany).

Great post sales service :)

BTW, heres a video from our last bass bash where you can listen to some clips with the KMT and other amps:
http://youtu.be/ASYRTVefz_Q

Cheers