Why become a member? ×

NBD - Jack & Danny 1975 Jazz

roceci

Took a punt on this as I figured it'd make a nice twin for my Seafoam FSR P & at the price (£150 with shipping) it wouldn't be too much of a loss if it was a total plank. If it was halfway decent then it'd make a good mod bass anyway.

Sorry about the rubbish picture, it's off me phone.

[attachment=148752:20131119_134919.jpg]

Wow, this is a superb guitar for the price & some! Fit & finish are pretty much flawless, the pickguard & binding on the neck have a few visible traces of rough cutting but nothing I can actually feel & invisible unless you're playing the thing. The neck needed some relief but plays like a dream now. Hardware-wise the tuners seem fine for now but I will be swapping the bridge out as it's not slotted & the E saddle is a bit slippy which in turn is causing the A saddle to rattle - not too bothered about a bridge change tbh & expected it. The strings are J&D branded - needless to say they're not the best so it'll be getting a new set of Elixirs tomorrow. They're by no means the worst strings I've used though...I won't name names here as that's for a totally different discussion!

Plugging it in. Wow again. I'm no expert in the variety of pups out there but I know what I like & the stock pups on this are pretty hot with a massive bottom end, much more than I can get out of my MIA Jazz Deluxe in passive (unfortunately). They sound great from solo bridge to solo neck, totally authentic. It's a V-V-T config (give me that any day over a blend knob) & the tone knob is really effective, really ringy right down to thick & subby. Like a P tone control on 'roids I'd say. Tbh honest I expected this thing to sound mediocre at best but I can honestly say it's got a better passive tone than my Deluxe in terms of ballsy-ness. I hate saying that after buying the Deluxe new last year but it's the truth.

Another big pro is that it's lighter than my other basses (not weighed it yet tho), I'm guessing this is the alder body vs ash?

I haven't found any cons yet but time will tell. All in all tho a remarkably well built & good sounding jazz & not just for the price, & it looks the bomb if the 70s Fender look is your thing, like me. I sound like I work for the company but I'm just very pleasantly surprised at how this purchase has turned out. Can't wait to crank it at rehearsal tonight :)

• 1 month later...

I really don't need another bass but hmmmmm that does look good LOL :D

Apparently, though not recommended with a decent bridge (where the height screws run in grooves), and until you replace the bridge, if you have the outer two saddles slightly angled off the horizontal (with uneven height adjustment screws) you'll have a bit of string tension pushing the saddle inwards that helps them stay put against the next saddle.

Sorry been flat out with xmas...still loving the J&D tbh, still an awesome guitar for the price. As mentioned previously it's got a really authentic J sound to my ears. The neck pup is nice & beefy, lots of detail with the tone with open & deep with it rolled right back without being downright muddy. I'm probably not the best at describing sound but hope that helps!

Gigged it a couple of weeks back strung with D'addario balanced tensions & it really held its own. Only problem was the pups were a bit high so there was a lot of clicking when I dug in - not much I could do mid-set but they're lowered now & it's fine.

Howiebass - thanks for the tip - will try that as soon as I'm back with the bass :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Got the natrual finish one of these about three years ago. (Work in Cologne where these are from)
Absolutely brilliant guitar!
The neck is very slim, seventies Jazz-like and the gloss finish on mine superb.
Action ridiculously low and thats as received.
Sound holds its own against a Mex Fender. (I've got one)
The price is great just for the neck;
I'm horribly tempted to get another ..... :gas:

recommended

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have just bought a second one of these, to get a nice black, alder Jazz body, so now have quite a bit of experience of them.

Several points worth mentioning ....

1/ THe bodies are superb, made of solid alder and are well finished. Fender dimensions (incl neck pocket)

2/ The necks are staggeringly good to play. Are made from good wood and are stable. The edge of the frets may be a little sharp in places but this is so easy to rectify it is almost a non-problem. THe general fretwork (as is level-ness) is very good on both of mine. The lacquer finish on both necks I have is cracked around the binding in the upper frets region - I don't care about this - it's a budget neck. Has std fender J dimensions - 63.5mm neck heel width.

3/ THe pickups are some of the best J pickups I have played in a modern, punchy with a bit of twang way. Not particularly vintage sounding.

4/ The tuners are not fit for purpose. They have a "waist" and on the E and A strings will not easily allow the string to be pulled low enough to get a nice resonant tone on those strings. If you buy one of these basses, be prepared to change the tuners to ones with straight posts.

5/ The nuts can be variable. ONe my first one, the A string was cut too low, and I have heard others report this. On my second, it was perfect, in fact better set up than any other new bass that I have played - amazing (but probably a bit of luck too).

6/ electrics - mini-pots, 250K, work well, not shielded, but no nasty noises.

7/ Strings - roundwounds, I actually like them a lot.

8/ Bridge - awful. It does the job but is wafer thin and has no slots on the bridge plate to stop any side-to-side movement of the barrels when you pick hard.

9/ Tone - really very, very good. On average, much better than any Squier J I have played. For me, Squier skimp on quality woods and I can hear this. The basics of the J&D is good wood and good pickups. The ancilliary bits and bobs are a bit sh1t but they are cheap and easy to change.

Overall a great budget Jazz. I actually like the necks so much, I have them on both my main basses now.

Edited by hamfist

[quote name='uk_lefty' timestamp='1416221033' post='2607957']
Where are these available...
[/quote]

Dunno about lefties - but I got mine from DV247

[url="http://www.dv247.com/guitars/jandd-jb-vintage-75-4-string-bass-guitar-player-pack-surf-green--209678"]http://www.dv247.com...f-green--209678[/url]
[url="http://www.dv247.com/guitars/jandd-jb-vintage-1975-skbl-bass-guitar-sky-blue--201562"]http://www.dv247.com/guitars/jandd-jb-vintage-1975-skbl-bass-guitar-sky-blue--201562[/url]

Edited by Conan

Thanks Conan! Never heard of that retailer before so will look for other goodies later.
Lefty J&D Jazz basses for £97 with solid alder bodies is very very tempting, even though they don't do the maple fingerboards sadly.
What are they like under the pick guard? Are there big routs out for the pickups and so on? Could be tempted to "Jaco" their lefty sunburst J if it looks ok without the pickguard

[quote name='uk_lefty' timestamp='1416224968' post='2608006']
Thanks Conan! Never heard of that retailer before so will look for other goodies later.
Lefty J&D Jazz basses for £97 with solid alder bodies is very very tempting, even though they don't do the maple fingerboards sadly.
What are they like under the pick guard? Are there big routs out for the pickups and so on? Could be tempted to "Jaco" their lefty sunburst J if it looks ok without the pickguard
[/quote]

Wouldn't look good without pickguard. There's an oversized rout for the pickup there.

Edited by hamfist

[quote name='uk_lefty' timestamp='1416224968' post='2608006']
[/quote]

The routing is a bit oversized,so not ideal, but it's not extremely ugly either. I could live with it:

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1416124580' post='2607007']
I have just bought a second one of these, to get a nice black, alder Jazz body, so now have quite a bit of experience of them.

Several points worth mentioning ....

1/ THe bodies are superb, made of solid alder and are well finished. Fender dimensions (incl neck pocket)

2/ The necks are staggeringly good to play. Are made from good wood and are stable. The edge of the frets may be a little sharp in places but this is so easy to rectify it is almost a non-problem. THe general fretwork (as is level-ness) is very good on both of mine. The lacquer finish on both necks I have is cracked around the binding in the upper frets region - I don't care about this - it's a budget neck. Has std fender J dimensions - 63.5mm neck heel width.

3/ THe pickups are some of the best J pickups I have played in a modern, punchy with a bit of twang way. Not particularly vintage sounding.

4/ The tuners are not fit for purpose. They have a "waist" and on the E and A strings will not easily allow the string to be pulled low enough to get a nice resonant tone on those strings. If you buy one of these basses, be prepared to change the tuners to ones with straight posts.

5/ The nuts can be variable. ONe my first one, the A string was cut too low, and I have heard others report this. On my second, it was perfect, in fact better set up than any other new bass that I have played - amazing (but probably a bit of luck too).

6/ electrics - mini-pots, 250K, work well, not shielded, but no nasty noises.

7/ Strings - roundwounds, I actually like them a lot.

8/ Bridge - awful. It does the job but is wafer thin and has no slots on the bridge plate to stop any side-to-side movement of the barrels when you pick hard.

9/ Tone - really very, very good. On average, much better than any Squier J I have played. For me, Squier skimp on quality woods and I can hear this. The basics of the J&D is good wood and good pickups. The ancilliary bits and bobs are a bit sh1t but they are cheap and easy to change.

Overall a great budget Jazz. I actually like the necks so much, I have them on both my main basses now.
[/quote]

I pretty much agree on everything.

2) I love the neck, indeed! Slightly sharp frets, easily corrected. ON mine they were level, allowing for nice low action easily.

3) great pickups! I find them a bit "hot" and can distort if slapping. I can't screw them further into the body easily, nor I want to because finger style they sound fantastic and I don't want to change the sound. I bought some pickups for it, but never bothered changing them!

4) The tuners seem fine to me.

5) My nut was cut too low on the A and D strings. Temporarily fixed it with superglue... I'll replace the nut some day soon... maybe.

6) pots became scratchy within a couple of months, and neck pickup volume cuts out sometimes... needed replacing.

7) YES!!! I really like those strings. I'd like to find where I could buy them. Not "better" than the DR Fat Beams I like so much, but they are very nice!

8) NO compaints about the bridge, but then I like the old BBOT style bridges. I might consider one with threaded saddles, to adjust the string spacing a tiny bit wider, perhaps.

I have gigged with this bass in stock form, and it performed beautifully. Killer bass!

Have pulled the trigger on one a lovely green one of these and received it today.

Up until reading the affordable 1975 bass thread I was totally happy with my sub ray 5, but that's the danger of basschat for you. I wouldn't have even looked at the thread if it hadn't been my YOB.

I tried the superglue fix on the A string, but failed so used the rodma patented tiny folded piece of tinfoil fix, which is perfect until you have to change strings in anger.

I changed the strings immediately so, Jose, since you were so kind to offer me a try out of the differing preamp sub tones, if you want another set of Jack and Danny strings, they are yours for the having.

It's a really fun little bass to play, my fingers are now raw. :)