Why become a member? ×

Foot keyboards?.... or something....

odysseus

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1412519894' post='2569522']...
That, or you meant something else of course.
:)
[/quote]

No, no; it must be me, then, with my technician training. I was assuming (wrongly, it turns out...) that the ease of soldering was due to the material of which the contacts were made; 'big brass contacts'. I'm not at my best reading in Mercan, and am unused to such idiomatic expressions. Not that it makes no sense, mind you; it's just the way my old habits run. :blush:[size=4] [/size]
[i]No sweat, man. High fives. We're good, y'all[/i], if you'll excuse my French. As you were; carry on. :mellow:[size=4] [/size]

• 2 weeks later...

Assuming you're on a budget, a cheaper Novation, Arturio or Korg will do you well.
I personally love the Waldorf Blofeld which can be had as a desktop model without keyboard, and which is easier to program than the few knobs might seem to indicate. Be aware you must update the OS to version 1.22 or it will be buggy. Fantastic synth though.
If you are after an overview over the history of synth sounds, the Alesis Micron (especially in its Akai Miniak version) will do even better than the Blofeld.

Probably best to come back with questions once you have established a liking for one or a few within your budget. I know others are better updated than I am.

Bought some organ bass pedals for this very application, learnt two things falling over on stage and needing a stool to do this properly is not cool. down the secondhand music store they went. controllong the volume in balance with the bass was another issue

i use an old Viscount MIDI multi effects foot controller, which has a MIDI pedal function, connected to a Korg module. Very basic 1 octave pad, wash and occasional organ/brass blast. It really is a skill (which i dont have!) and if you are singing and using fx pedals too (which I am) then it can become a real challenge esp if you want to look cool on stage.

• 1 month later...

Recently had do some keyboard parts at short notice and as there was a lot of right hand work to the melody and a lot of chords at the bottom as well and I had a couple of weeks to do it, I cheated.
I had a master keyboard running to my mac with MainStage. Within mainstage I made a set of sound overlays for the whole keyboard (on sliders) but avoiding the bottom 6 keys of the keyboard, and on the bottom 6 notes I used the chord trigger feature where you can assign any key to any other number of keys, So i had some quite complicated chords on a one finger press. It worked very well.
It also has a generic chord mapping as well, but as you can set a patch for each song you want to do, it is an easy thing to do if you don't mind having your computer on stage. I would say, the synths sounded very good, and there were no glitches with it running over 4 hours.

• 2 weeks later...

McMillen 12 Step and a Moog Minitaur. I also have a Novation Bass Station II which I can trigger using the 12 Step and gives an option to play synth bass lines by hand using the two octave keyboard. I used to use Roland PK-5 pedals and a Roland sound canvas for simple sawtooth sounds. It's worth bearing in mind that as the bass player you've already got enough heavy gear to get to the gig so the 12 Step is a worthwhile option.