Why become a member? ×

not a happy practice

bobbytodd

well 3 weeks ago I joined a new covers band.we all agreed a set list and said we would spent two weeks at home learning the songs and their structure before getting together and practicing as a band.so tonight we all got together and the singer/gutairist sets up his gear and gets loads of a4 bits of paper with the words on then turns to me and says so whats the chords for these songs then.i could have smacked him ...rant over if this is a sign of things to come then im outta here

Doesn`t bode well for a starting point. I think in this situation explaining how you see rehearsals may be needed, and put that you have no wish to be in a band where people learn songs at rehearsals, that they are where the band practice together what each individual member already knows. Then if it doesn`t change, as above, walk or get rid.

We only did it once with our singer - at which point we were pretty direct with our feedback and made him pay for the rehearsal.

He never did it again :)

I think you just need to be clear with him - about both the investment you've made and the expectations that you have, and really set out your stall about what is acceptable and what not. Even in "just for fun" bands a little honesty can go a long way. and help keep it fun for everyone :)

Unfortunately 'tis often the way.

A singer/guitarist told me that he learnt all the chords for songs by ear. He turned up to a practice only having worked out half the song...and a semi tone down from the original recording he'd been listening to. His ears were flat and didn't stick out at all, so I suppose it was to be expected :unsure:

i like gusto's idea - anybody turning up to rehearsal who clearly hasnt bothered their arse to learn the stuff beforehand should pay the forfeit and stump up the cost of that rehearsal session

i must confess i have done this a couple of times but it was purely in the band's best interests as i was trying to steer us away from 'less than satisfactory' material :D

Edited by steve-bbb

I'm that guy sometimes. I will hold my hands up and admit that I've occasionally turned up to practice ill prepared. If that ever happens I make it a point to turn up next week knowing everything to perfection. Chances are he knows what he's done so he might come next time knowing everything.

I think everyone sometimes forgets that life occasionally gets in the way of learning songs, so I wouldn't judge him too harshly just yet. I would consider someone different and kick him out if he persistently turns up to practice like that. I'd give him about two more practices to buck his ideas up. Maybe you could have a quiet, non-confrontational word with him?

That's my advice to you. But at the end of the day its your call.

Edited by ChickenKiev

[quote name='Left Foot' timestamp='1384788102' post='2280698']
Would/could you guys enforce this with originals?

Tough break though, honesty is the best!
[/quote]

To a small degree I do. With originals I still expect a little homework to be done, though only once we've got the basics down.

As far as covers go, I have a policy that I wont go into a rehearsal studio with the full band, unless everyone has done their homework, fortunately with my current band, the 2 singers (3 if you include BVs) even get together without the rhythm section to sort parts / harmonies, also the guitarist and keyboard player do a lot of "who's covering what" stuff also.

It works wonderfully, but I know I am lucky.

My only other gigs are deps, so its similar slotting in also :)

Couldn't go back to "whats the chords please" sessions, its just not worth it

Of course thats the beauty of a covers band

--

Id suggest you suggest the above approach to the band before giving up and give them a chance to get into it, that is of course if you think its worth it

Edited by lojo

One of the things that I really enjoy about my current band is that when we get to a rehearsal room to nail new material, everyone has learnt their parts.
This usually means that as long as we feel the songs work, we can get four or five rehearsed up and ready in one session.

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1384850738' post='2281348']
If you're a working pro band, then this is not acceptable. However if you are a hobby band or the occasional gig type band then this is fair enough.
[/quote]

Im not a pro , but would not get involved with rehearsals like that, neither would many of the people I play with

im not a pro just average.but we are looking at at least one gig a week.the it was the fact that we agreed two weeks to do the songs I drive for a living so im away from home some nights he has a 9 to 5 job but couldn't find time to do the songs

Edited by bobbytodd

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1384806435' post='2281001']
Thats the problem with some people.

Rehearsals are for getting the song tight as a band not to learn how to play the song.
[/quote]

This. Run away as fast as possible. If this happens for a first rehearsal, it will happen in the future.

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1384889470' post='2281969']

Im not a pro , but would not get involved with rehearsals like that, neither would many of the people I play with
[/quote]
Fair enough. Thanks for sharing. It wouldn't really bother me as long as it wasn't every time and the guy had an excuse.

update.im no longer in this band.last night I got a nice email off the drummer saying they were going to look for another bassist because the singer felt he couldn't work with me as I take practice too serious.i replied with no hard feelings pal and good luck.the music was pure cheese and not really my thing but I admit I enjoyed learning some different styles of music rather than just rock/metal but im not going to have sleepless nights over it.so on to the next one lol