Why become a member? ×

Did anyone ever build a Bass with an XLR output?

Toddy

Tried this first time tonight,, initially on the conversion on the Ibanez (see earlier), but also made a small fly lead (jack to XLR) to try on the Jazz,,,, took all previous comments seriously,, but no issues (Phantom power on a LS9 desk is not global across the board etc),, completely silent,, so basically walked on with the jazz,,, connected straight to the desk,(via Cat5 cable after stage box),,,,, was sent return signal thru monitors,,, sounded brilliant.........did the gig,, unplugged and walked off,,,,,happy days...for these half hour warm up gigs, going to explore this route,, its so easy, and works well,, (not talking little venues either, Doncaster Dome, Newcastle City Hall, Carlisle Sands, Big UK Theatres on this gig)...Chuffed,, thanks for all the comments.

There are enough posts on BC where people haven't realised that leaving an active bass plugged in flattens the battery.

If you replace the TRS socket with an XLR you're going to have to find an alternative switching method and if we can't remove a jack plug then we sure as hell aren't going to remember to turn a switch off are we? :)

• Like 1

• 7 years later...
On 17/11/2013 at 10:50, casapete said:

Some versions of the Hohner B2A (Steinberger design) have an XLR out.
Never used it on mine though............

yes - I have one of those. But just to be clear it carries an unbalanced signal via two of the oins only. Either direct from the ()stock) Hi-Z pickups or via the on board preamp. So not providing a 'DI' output in the sense of a low-Z balanced output.

And as another version of events- 

I'm fairly sure my Vigier Passion s3 delivers a low impedance (600 ohm) output. Its not balanced though. I only uses a regular ¼ inch jack and lead. 

The idea being that it'll drive long cables and plug into any mic-designated jack sockets on mixers, PAs etc.

2 hours ago, TheGreek said:

Remember coming across an old German guitar with a 5-pin DIN - can't remember if it was a Klira or Musima - at a flea market in Berlin years ago. Cool/weird old thing, should've bought it...