Why become a member? ×

This band is fairly reasonable.

xilddx

Wow, watching that is like a timewarp back to Whistle Test thirty-odd years ago ! The only thing missing is that in those days the song would have probably have been about nuclear armageddon , as I'm sure you will remember well., Nigel .

I admire this band and their rather than enjoy them myself , to be honest with you, but I can certainly see their appeal . I find it a very uncomfortable listen , but that it the effect they are going for . I really enjoyed the Punk Brittania series on BBC 4 last year and it made me revisit a lot of music from that Post -Punk era that this lot are so reminiscent of , and a lot of it still sounds great.

They certainly look the part, too. It's as if they have carefully studied photographs of students at Liverpool Polytechnic circa 1981 to copy their clothes and hairstyles . All they need to do now is find a peace camp to do a benefit concert for. Those were the days...

Edited by Dingus

Blimey! All this criticism because a band sounds like other bands from the past. I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Siouxsie as well.

There seems to be a big thing about funk on Basschat, and yet almost all the funk bands that people rave about sound like music from the 70s.

There's nothing wrong with some young people taking from the past, they have something to say lyrically about the current, they have what seems to me to be a real fire in their bellies.

Never mind, I like them.

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1384597138' post='2278461']
Don't understand lifting the Joy Division blueprint and reapplying it 34 years later really, in fact I find it kind of depressing that originality in music is becoming something that no longer has to apply.
[/quote]

Originality is not celebrated. Anything 'original' and different is usually slated too isn't it. There's plenty of 'original' music out there. All music draws from the past as well as the present.

I like that they have a retro thing going on. I just don't think they're very good.

You can see hundreds of bands like this in pubs, basements and garages every day. There's no composition skill. The playing is elementary.

I remember as well as anyone what fun it was to bash away as a lad and still enjoy doing it and hearing it now and then. But these days I need a little more emotion other than rambunctiousness.

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1384615265' post='2278778']
I like that they have a retro thing going on. I just don't think they're very good.

[b]You can see hundreds of bands like this in pubs, basements and garages every day. [/b] There's no composition skill. The playing is elementary.

I remember as well as anyone what fun it was to bash away as a lad and still enjoy doing it and hearing it now and then. But these days I need a little more emotion other than rambunctiousness.
[/quote]

No you can't.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1384618644' post='2278818']
No you can't.
[/quote]

Well, maybe not ones that you like as much. But ones with equal skill. They do have the advantage of being produced so there's a slickness there. I've produced dozens of bands like that. In downtown NY, you'd see bands like that one after the other. I just see it as energetic amateurism. But again, if you like it you like it. Not everything I like is masterful. But I do require some melody or something interesting and original. That band just sounds like a w***er bar band to me. Sorry.

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1384619778' post='2278835']
Well, maybe not ones that you like as much. But ones with equal skill. They do have the advantage of being produced so there's a slickness there. I've produced dozens of bands like that. In downtown NY, you'd see bands like that one after the other. I just see it as energetic amateurism. But again, if you like it you like it. Not everything I like is masterful. But I do require some melody or something interesting and original. That band just sounds like a w***er bar band to me. Sorry.
[/quote]

I don't understand why skill is important anyway. This band are skilful, very tight, great dynamics, they care about the music. Whaddya want? A punky Snarky Puppy? w***er bar band? Nice that you have produced many w***er bar bands, did they sound good after you applied your magic?

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1384620099' post='2278842']
I don't understand why skill is important anyway. This band are skilful, very tight, great dynamics, they care about the music. Whaddya want? A punky Snarky Puppy? w***er bar band? Nice that you have produced many w***er bar bands, did they sound good after you applied your magic?
[/quote]
I tend to agree with the skill bit. Having lived through when prog-rock and then when it was (thankfully) on it's last legs the advent of punk was for me a blessing. Of course there was a lot of rubbish but some decent groups came out of that era. On saying that i didn't think that Savages were very good and it was all predictable and a bit old hat. Perhaps this is just me getting old. Once you've seen the same old thing over and over again no matter how good it is maybe it all gets a bit jaded. I know that they are favourites on this forum but i get no pleasure at all in groups like The Killers, Arctic Monkeys, Muse and Kings of Leon and numerous other bands nowadays. They are obviously really accomplished musicians but ultimately so ordinary to me so if i'm putting Savages in with that lot they may have a great future and good luck to them if they do.