Why become a member? ×

Bass solos

norvegicusbass

[quote name='norvegicusbass' timestamp='1384450198' post='2276898']
There must to be more to it though than just taking a typical electric guitar solo and transposing it to a bass. I mean I wouldnt play Stairway To Heaven on a bass and think it was a perfect way to show off that particular instrument.
[/quote]
I can barely stand listening to it on guitar......... :)

i play bass and guitar but consider bass as my main instrument.
im not a lead player (guitar), however im more than happy to noodle off some kind of crazy bass solo on a whim.
i have never really thought about the difference.
i consider bass and guitar very different instruments in the way that you approach them in regards of technique though and dont generally consider bass and guitars parts interchangeable at all.
i may have to consider this train of thought further...........

Edited by winterfire666

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1384452929' post='2276946']
1) It's sounds sh*t compared to a guitar solo.

2) Guitarists don't cop three John Coltrane licks and use them in every solo.

3) Guitar soloists celebrate the range of possibilities of the guitar instead of the range of possibilities of three John Coltrane licks.
[/quote]
Come off of the fence Nige and say what you really mean :D

Edited by wriggers

Bass guitar solos should only be played if you are :
a] John Enwistle - deceased
b] Jim Lea of Slade - retired
c] Geddy Lee - in an arena with people who expect that sort of thing anyway

Otherwise they are the devil's work.
I get very embarrased when asked to go all widdly on bass and I just play the bass part a bit louder or faster or both.

Edited by 12stringbassist

but guitar solo's (as a rule) aren't really solo's. the drummer and bassists carry on playing, when people talk about a bass (or drum) solo they mean just that instrument playing, a guitar playing on it's own for any length of time is just as tedious as bass or drums doing it

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1384522620' post='2277683']
but guitar solo's (as a rule) aren't really solo's. the drummer and bassists carry on playing, when people talk about a bass (or drum) solo they mean just that instrument playing, a guitar playing on it's own for any length of time is just as tedious as bass or drums doing it
[/quote]
Tell that to the flamenco and classical guitarists.

Depends, seen solo spots (even at rock gigs) where everyone drops out even for a guitar and also seen bass 'solo' spots where the drummer carries on. The 'solo' as we know it within the context of an actual song is rarely if ever a true solo,it's just become the general conventional nomenclature. Then there are bands like, for eg yes, where Steve Howe will play a solo spot entirely unaccompanied but will play an entire piece of music he's written and recorded just on that one guitar. Is this a solo?

Edited by KevB