Why become a member? ×

Non Reverse Thunderbird Build

Billy Apple

[quote name='DorsetBlue' timestamp='1385720641' post='2291431']
I was looking at the Reverse TB Left Handed guitar bach do. But I would want a normal TB pickguard and the raised centre block, like an Epi/Gibson TB body, if I was to have a Fenderbird. Wish Epiphone did lefties. :-(
[/quote]

Stop me if I'm wrong here, but the raised center block is from the neck-through reverse T Bird (like my old one) and the body wings are glued on. AFAIK all non reverse T Birds are a set neck and no center block?

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1385764475' post='2292102']
AFAIK all non reverse T Birds are a set neck and no center block?
[/quote]

You are correct, sir. Just for perspective, the current Gibson NRs have no forearm chamfer and the tiniest/shallowest of belly-cut...maybe 5cm at its widest point.
P

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1385766974' post='2292129']
You are correct, sir. Just for perspective, the current Gibson NRs have no forearm chamfer and the tiniest/shallowest of belly-cut...maybe 5cm at its widest point.
P
[/quote]

I'm not sure as to the level of belly chamfering, I'll ask the Doc for a picture of its rear If I could have changed anything about my T Bird it would've been to soften the upper bout arm-wise. Seeing as this is a custom build, I get to live that dream!

I'll tell him to get his chamfering thing out, and not his cutting hammer!

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1385764475' post='2292102']
Stop me if I'm wrong here, but the raised center block is from the neck-through reverse T Bird (like my old one) and the body wings are glued on. AFAIK all non reverse T Birds are a set neck and no center block?
[/quote]

Yes, note that I did say 'Reverse' in my post. :-)

The Reverse model that Bach sell does not have this raised block. However the bolt-on epiphones and the Mike Lulls (also bolt ons, which I didn't realise before) I looked at at Bass Direct on Saturday have the raised centre block on the Reverse models, which I like.

• 2 weeks later...

Just had a Christmas visit to the Docs to see how my build is going. Very impressed with the body, well built, solid but light weight. I thought the body looked a bit thick in the pics, but it's nice and slim, with a lovely fret board. Howard has fitted the string anchor, tuners, nut and some strings, so I got a good feel for it. The tuners are super cool and super lightweight, the lightest vintage style ones Gotoh do (I think). The two piece bridge is excellent quality, especially for the price.The bone nut is hand made and beautiful. Howard says it came from a Golden Eagle ;) . I thought it might have come from his turkey :lol:

The Pups look great. Very well made, and nicely packaged. If they sound half as good as they look they should be ace. The only thing I need to source now is somebody with a non reverse pick guard who would draw round it on a piece of card and send it to the Doc. I'll post up an appeal, but please let me know if you are reading this and might be able to help.

Pics from today's outing..

Edited by Billy Apple

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1388107128' post='2318658']
Just had a Christmas visit to the Docs to see how my build is going. Very impressed with the body, well built, solid but light weight. I thought the body looked a bit thick in the pics, but it's nice and slim, with a lovely fret board. Howard has fitted the string anchor, tuners, nut and some strings, so I got a good feel for it. The tuners are super cool and super lightweight, the lightest vintage style ones Gotoh do (I think). The two piece bridge is excellent quality, especially for the price.The bone nut is hand made and beautiful. Howard says it came from a Golden Eagle ;) . I thought it might have come from his turkey :lol:

The Pups look great. Very well made, and nicely packaged. If they sound half as good as they look they should be ace. The only thing I need to source now is somebody with a non reverse pick guard who would draw round it on a piece of card and send it to the Doc. I'll post up an appeal, but please let me know if you are reading this and might be able to help.

Pics from today's outing..

And finally, me with the Master..

What a great way to spend Boxing day! :D
[/quote]

Now that's the way to spend Christmas. Not arguing with the bloody family and feeling sick after too many Ferrero Rochers! :D