Why become a member? ×

Non Reverse Thunderbird Build

Billy Apple

[quote name='Reversebird' timestamp='1409669165' post='2542029']
Hi
You are right about the Gibson Non Reverse reissue being a bit short of the mark so I upgraded mine.
It's missing its truss rod cover at the moment I broke it putting it back on. New one should be here anyway now.
[/quote]

Nice. Where are the bridge and pups from?

• 4 months later...

Time to bump this thread a bit and catch up with the news. The bass was picked up (not by me) from the Doc today. There has been no further work done on this bass since March last year and regretably my professional relationship with the Doc is at an end. I'm hoping to get some pics soon from my chum in Newcastle to confirm its condition after being neglected for so long and I'll be looking for a craftsman to finish the job.

In the meantime, have a pic of a slightly less "short of the mark" NR Thunderbird. That's as much chrome as I care to see on a bass if I'm being honest, but the black hardware did look pretty naff ;) To me, this is the right blend of modern (which it is) and vintage (which it is influenced by).

That probably didn't help, sorry! I am keen to see how the subject of this build diary turns out. Hope you get it sorted.

Sorry to hear how this has turned out. Hopefully you'll be able to get the project back on the rails and fall back in love with what will be a stunning bass. Mind, that gold flake can be a bugger to spray so I'd make sure that your next 'luthier' has the correct spraying equipment to do this properly. I shall be following your progress as I really fancy a set of those Thunderbucker 66's for my next project and I'm keen to hear how you get on with them.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1422951376' post='2678650']
My mate said when he picked it up it was soaking wet. He said water was running out the pups. He thinks it has been stored for a long time in a damp garage.
[/quote]

That's really not acceptable is it. Is it ruined?

I'm really disappointed to see this happen Sean, not only because you have been badly let down with this build, but that such a formerly esteemed member has let so many people down in a way that seems so out of character. I know that you had an especially good relationship with him, and that must be all the more painful.

Hope the bass is ok and ends up a beauty.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1423080205' post='2680532']
I'm really disappointed to see this happen Sean, not only because you have been badly let down with this build, but that such a formerly esteemed member has let so many people down in a way that seems so out of character. I know that you had an especially good relationship with him, and that must be all the more painful.

Hope the bass is ok and ends up a beauty.
[/quote]

My pal says it's all drying out nicely. I've just scored a hard case in the market place that is local to my chum. He's picking it up later this week, then it'll be couriered off to John Williams at [url="http://www.guitarsandbasses.co.uk/index.php"]Noise Works[/url].

I'm putting the whole Doc thing behind me. Can't dwell on these things too long. Onwards and upwards and all that!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1427270346' post='2727994']
I didn't know Noise Works was still about. I went in there years ago, next time I'm in Cov I'll have to take a stroll over there.
[/quote]

He does work for Bass Direct. I found out about John because he did some warranty work on my Spector. He did an A1 job and because of that I chose him to take over where the Doc had let me down.

It was funny how the universe converged at that moment.. Just got the bass back from the Doc and found John at the same time without really looking.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1429178429' post='2748739']
John has said the dry build was spot on with no issues. He's put a fore-arm cut on the body the Doc was supposed to do, but at least the pencil marks were there! Last time I spoke to him he was prepping for painting.
[/quote]

Cool.....it's the sparkle i'm waiting to see ;)