Why become a member? ×

Peavey or Laney cheapo 1x15 combos....

Wayne Firefly

Right, Ive come to a bit of a conclusion that I might need a cheapo 1x15 combo for mimimal risk usage.
You know what I mean, the type of situations where you wouldnt want your expensive amp left or used....
Anyone got any ideas or real life / real world info on Peavey or Laney 165 to 300 watt, 1x15 combos ???
Now, budget is the main constraint as I want to try ans spend as little as possible... up to £100, no more, ideally less of course !!!
Ive tried a Peavey 165 watt thing in a reahearsal that worked well, quite loud and rude.
Im not assed about nuances of tone in the mids or whatever, just meat and potatoes volume really, a VT or Sansamp will take care of tone.
Anyone got any info / whatever they can impart ???
cheers !!!!!

[quote name='Wayne Firefly' timestamp='1384383781' post='2276167']
Of course Ashdown !! But everyone I seem to know whos ever had one has bust it somehow... blown up, killed, or however its put, broken it....all bar one exception of a Mag 300 4x10 combo that seemed to last but other than that, are they not considered very unreliable ?
[/quote]

The Ashdowns in the rehearsal rooms that I use seem to fare OK, and I'd probably still be using an old MAG400 115 combo if it weren't for the weight.

[quote name='Deedee' timestamp='1384385766' post='2276196']
I used a Peavey TNT 115 for years before I went onto Trace gear.

Cheap as chips and built really well! Just the job I'd say.
[/quote]

+1....mine is so well built could double as a workbench. i also have an ashdown eb180 which is good but cant compete with that 15" black widow!

Looks like its probably going to be a Peavey then !! Not too assed about weight to be honest, cant be any worse than the Diesel 4x10 I already have !!! Thats like a bloody washing machine !!!!.. Thanks for the info !! Even with a lighter, more efficient driver fitted later, it sounds like what Im after !!!!! cheers !!!

Is it too late to pipe up for Laney?

Before I moved over to valve, I was gigging with an RB8 - a 300W 1x15 with a switchable tweeter. Bloody good it was, too. Versatile tone, no shortage of thundering bottom end, and above all, built like a tank. This was the third Laney I've owned since I started playing bass - I'd like to think the fact I've only been through three is testament to their reliability!

If your budget is strictly at £100 then you'll struggle to get one new, but it's worth browsing for a used or ex-display one. Or consider the other models - anything from the RB4 upwards has a 1x15 cab and even that's 165W...

Edited by EliasMooseblaster

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1384467772' post='2277199']
I had a Laney R4 (300 watt 1x15) which was solid, if unspectacular. It was dramatically improved by bypassing the pre-amp and going out of a Sansamp directly into the FX return, sounded pretty good then.
[/quote]

How easy is it to bypass the preamp on an RB4?

I only ask because it was really easy on the HCM series - literally just a case of pulling the speaker jack from the back of the preamp, so you could connect a different head if you wanted (which is what I'm doing these days with my Ashdown LB30). By contrast, I noticed that the connections on the RB8 are all internal, though - did you have to crack open your RB4 to do the bypass?

OP: I guess it depends on the tone you're after. Starting from flat, I usually find that Laneys are a little brighter, the Peaveys I've played through are little more bass-heavy. But with a few tweaks of the EQ, you could quite easily make one sound like the other, both seemed very versatile.

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1384513086' post='2277507']
How easy is it to bypass the preamp on an RB4?

I only ask because it was really easy on the HCM series - literally just a case of pulling the speaker jack from the back of the preamp, so you could connect a different head if you wanted (which is what I'm doing these days with my Ashdown LB30). By contrast, I noticed that the connections on the RB8 are all internal, though - did you have to crack open your RB4 to do the bypass?

OP: I guess it depends on the tone you're after. Starting from flat, I usually find that Laneys are a little brighter, the Peaveys I've played through are little more bass-heavy. But with a few tweaks of the EQ, you could quite easily make one sound like the other, both seemed very versatile.
[/quote]
Instead of plugging into the input on the front-panel, I plugged into the FX return on the back (via my Sansamp as a pre-amp) which goes straight into the power-amp. Doesn't sound quite like what you're doing with your Ashdown as I was still using the power-amp in the Laney.

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1384520666' post='2277655']
Instead of plugging into the input on the front-panel, I plugged into the FX return on the back (via my Sansamp as a pre-amp) which goes straight into the power-amp. Doesn't sound quite like what you're doing with your Ashdown as I was still using the power-amp in the Laney.
[/quote]

Ah, now I understand! Yeah, I'm using the Ashdown as both the preamp and power stage, the Laney HCM simply serves as a cab in my current setup. (Not sure how well either the Ashdown or my RB8 would respond if I were to send the Ashdown's 8ohm output into the RB8's FX return...!)

The idea, of course, was that if I blew a valve on the Ash, I'd have a half-decent transistor head I could swap the cable into as a backup. Really must get round to finding a tech who can fix the output transistors for me!

Another Laney user here... got an R3 which is currently known as an RB6 i think. 100w on its own, 165w with an extention cab (I use the laney 4x10).

Keeps up nicely in a 3 100w marshall guitarist band (although, to be fair, they have all been playing for years and know how to EQ properly and know the difference between volume and clarity)

DI works nicely. Tweeter is a bit hissy, but there's an off switch.

Cheap as chips, rugged/robust... nothing flashy (no built in tuner/headphone out/cd in etc.) but does what it says on the tin.
Played getting on for 100 gigs with it, never had an issue, and if it exploded horribly tomorrow it's more than paid for itself...

Bought for £150 from this very forum.

• 1 month later...