Why become a member? ×

Extortionate cruise ship medical?!

jackotheclown

So I finally got a cruise ship gig and I have been told that I have to have a medical (obviously). Its with Carnival and the have set medical practices that you have to go through and I've been quoted £450/500 pounds for mine at a place down in London. Carnival don't reimburse you for this just the visa. I thought this amount was a lot but the agency says its a decent quote, I have the appointment booked for Tuesday next week, if someone can tell me if this is a good/bad deal I will be very grateful!

- Jack

I suppose it depends on what sort of tests they're insisting on. I've had medicals for scuba insurance for £45 and a long time ago for a pilot licence course for not much more. Have you asked your GP if they can do the tests? You'll still have to pay but it might be cheaper. Also, have you tried to get it done in Manchester, which might be cheaper than London?

This link suggests that cruise ship employment medicals are 'very extensive' but even so it states:

[i]Who pays for the medical?
This varies for each position some the applicant has to pay in full, some are part paid by the employer and some the employer pays for it all. The total cost can vary from £130 up to £220.[/i]
http://www.cast-a-way.co.uk/faqs.php#medicals

If that's correct then your quote is looking expensive.

Well i mean like the cruise line I will be working for (Carnival) have a list of clinics I can choose from do have a medical with. I can't just go to my local GP. I'm based in Manchester now and the nearest one is in Blackpool, but with me going down to London anyhow to get my Visa I thought I would tie the two in together.

Jacko it is what it is I suppose if you want the gig. Do you have any pre-existing conditions ??

I'm diabetic and couldn't for the life of me see this making a difference but before I chucked £500 at the medical I would be asking the question, if you see what I mean ?

Les

[quote name='Les' timestamp='1384365023' post='2275768']
Jacko it is what it is I suppose if you want the gig. Do you have any pre-existing conditions ??

I'm diabetic and couldn't for the life of me see this making a difference but before I chucked £500 at the medical I would be asking the question, if you see what I mean ?

Les
[/quote]

Very good point . . . . especially with £500 at stake.

[quote name='jackotheclown' timestamp='1384362751' post='2275728']
Well they have set practices I guess some of the practitioners work with the cruise lines though, so I can't just go to my GP. But yeah £500, sucks..
[/quote]
They don't need to be endorsed by the cruise lines to be competent. You only need to be assessed by a competent doctor. You might even have grounds for a professional complaint to the [url="http://www.gmc-uk.org/"]General Medical Council[/url] if you have reason to believe the doctors are profiteering.

Ostensibly at least, the reason for the medical is firstly to see that you are in good shape to fulfil the contract and therefore less likely to pose any potential problems one the cruise work begins, but more importantly than that , you need to have a medical to satisfy the private medical insurance that covers the ship and its' employees. You cannot be insured for any chronic pre-existing conditions under the standard cover provided . and this is potentially very problematic if such conditions are undisclosed and become apparent once you are at sea in the employ of the cruise line , so the insurance company will want some effort at least to weed out potential liabilities.

As for costing £500, nothing to do with private medicine is ever cheap , or indeed even reasonably priced.

[quote name='jackotheclown' timestamp='1384360870' post='2275702']
So I finally got a cruise ship gig and I have been told that I have to have a medical (obviously). Its with Carnival and the have set medical practices that you have to go through and I've been quoted £450/500 pounds for mine at a place down in London. Carnival don't reimburse you for this just the visa. I thought this amount was a lot but the agency says its a decent quote, I have the appointment booked for Tuesday next week, if someone can tell me if this is a good/bad deal I will be very grateful!

- Jack
[/quote]

I have done a few ships, and Dingus above is on the nail.
Although I have not done one for a while, I can't ever remember paying my own fees (however much they were)
They were covered by the company(s)

Worth a look.
[url="http://www.oceanbound.com/medical-exams-for-cruise-ship-jobs"]http://www.oceanboun...ruise-ship-jobs[/url]

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1384371191' post='2275902']
Ostensibly at least, the reason for the medical is firstly to see that you are in good shape to fulfil the contract and therefore less likely to pose any potential problems one the cruise work begins, but more importantly than that , you need to have a medical to satisfy the private medical insurance that covers the ship and its' employees. You cannot be insured for any chronic pre-existing conditions under the standard cover provided . and this is potentially very problematic if such conditions are undisclosed and become apparent once you are at sea in the employ of the cruise line , so the insurance company will want some effort at least to weed out potential liabilities.
[/quote]

No problem with any of that, a lot of it applies to personal private medical cover as well as company medical schemes etc.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1384371191' post='2275902']
As for costing £500, nothing to do with private medicine is ever cheap , or indeed even reasonably priced.
[/quote]

Maybe, but according to the link I found above and the experiences of many BCers, £500 is looking a lot like a complete pi$$ take.

Their rules though, so the OP might not have any choice. Let's hope the job pays really well to compensate.

Edited by flyfisher

Somebody's making a lot of cash! As a GP, there is the option to do private medical work, for which the BMA publish a suggested list of charges, usually a range. HGV medicals, for instance, could be anywhere between £30 to £120 for a reasonably in-depth going over. Things like fostering medicals, which have the potential to be complex and need a lot of detail, especially if there are concerns about child abuse, are usually about £30. This sounds like there is a special 'arrangement' to bleed you of as much cash as possible (Unless they're going to MRI your fingers, or something); and it sounds like you can't do much about it, frankly. Kick up a fuss and complain, write letters to the GMC certainly, but I wouldn't expect that they would then employ you...

Edit: I assume that these people will then request access to your own GP-held medical record - if they don't, then it's quite obviously indiscriminate shafting.

Edited by cupples

I've got a cruise contract coming up too with Royal Caribbean. I've just booked my medical with my local GP and they've quoted £89 but I'm thinking it could end up much more expensive. I gave my forms to the receptionist who didn't really read them and read all involved with it and told me the price.

On a subject unrelated to cost, can someone assure me that a prostate exam will be nae bother? I'm dreading that!