Why become a member? ×

The 25 most valuable bass's:- Vintage Guitar Mag' 2011

iconic

Bit of bog reading bumpf....No.2 is interesting to me as Tony was a friend of my fathers, I used to drool over his cars when he popped over when I young 'un!

Surprisingly few boutique bass in there, with most being mass produced fodder.

[url="http://www.vintageguitar.com/special-features/25-most-valuable-basses/"]http://www.vintagegu...aluable-basses/[/url]

Edited by iconic

[quote name='iconic' timestamp='1384164886' post='2273315']
Surprisingly few boutique bass in there, with most being mass produced fodder.
[/quote]

The clue's in the name of the publication. And the fact that it's US-centric. Apart from the Alembics, there's nothing post 1970 and only the Zemaitis and Höfner weren't MIA. So on the whole no real surprises there.

It will be interesting to see what a list like that looks like in another 50 or so years time. Whether it will be clogged up with Fenders from the 70s and 80s or if more interesting and desirable instruments from Europe and Japan will get a look in. Of course a lot of it will be to do with what is fashionable at the time of publication and if any big names have been using particular basses - lets nor kid ourselves that the Höfner would have got a look in without its association with Macca.

[quote name='Jacqueslemac' timestamp='1384168048' post='2273372']
I never knew Gibson did a Höfner copy!
[/quote]

Of course if you look at the dates you'll see that the Gibson came first. although TBH, expect for the body shape the two instruments have nothing in common in either construction, sound or intended use.

Bit of bog reading bumpf....No.2 is interesting to me as Tony was a friend of my fathers, I used to drool over his cars when he popped over when I young 'un!

Surprisingly few boutique bass in there, with most being mass produced fodder. - About four years ago, I was lucky enough to be looking around Ronnie Lane's Mrs' loft -long story- and came across the (sadly empty) case for a Zemaitis acoustic bass. I wonder whether it was one of these

Rarest and most valuable perhaps, but how many of them are actually desirable rather than merely good investments?

Given the opportunity to own any of those 25, there are maybe four that would appeal to me ... and I already have two of 'em!

Aren't lists great? An easy way to fill column inches and provoke discussion on websites. :rolleyes: