Why become a member? ×

help urgent advice on Marshall JMP 1970 Super Bass Amp

KarlK

Hi Can anyone please advice me urgently what I should do about some work that Marshall say needs doing on my 1970 Marshall Super Bass amp. I took it in yesterday as I haven't used for over a decade and want to sell it, they have checked it over and have recommended the following - replace all 4 EL34 valves - 2 bias capacitors - 4 input sockets on the front and 2 output on the back. What should I do? What effect will this have on the value? Your advice would be really appreciated cheers Karl Forgot to say that it still works.

Edited by KarlK

Did they indicate how much this work would cost? I have no idea of the value of these things, but I'm sure someone here will have some input on that. Whether its worth having the work done depends on the overall value and servicing costs I guess.

Welcome to Basshcat, btw,

About £180. My dilemma is whether to have the work done and risk losing the original status or whether to sell it without but clearly stating what Marshall have said. How much each option will reduce the value is my question I suppose. I am happy to pay the cost but I'm just not sure if that is the right thing to do value wise. Cheers Karl. Thanks for the welcome

Edited by KarlK

[quote name='KarlK' timestamp='1383820891' post='2269463']...Your advice would be really appreciated...[/quote]

Good afternoon, Karl...

It depends on how much you want to sell it for, too. If you're selling it as a working amp, for future stage use, then having it serviced would be a plus. If, on the other hand, you're looking towards the collector's market, then I'd advise not doing (or having done...) any work at all, but supply the quote with the sale. These amps are quite attractive (perhaps more so State-side, but that would mean packing etc...); there is a wider collector's market there. A bit low at the moment, as with other 'niches'.
An original state at least gives the choice to the future owner as to what route to pursue.
For my part, I prefer working gear, as I'm not really a collector as such, I simply prefer vintage gear. I'm not typical, though.
There's an American expression which goes something like... "If it ain't busted, don't fix it". I'd leave it 'as is', myself if it's for selling. I'd renovate if it was to be kept.
Just my tuppence-worth; hope this helps.

Thanks for your replies - as I thought working v collector dilemma..... If I sold it as it is with a report from Marshalls detailing the work they need to do to bring it up to gig standard what do you think I should ask. I had hoped to get about £1100-1200 before I had this problem so I was thinking of asking £950 - do you think that's reasonable? cheers Karl

[quote name='KarlK' timestamp='1383828200' post='2269615']... - do you think that's reasonable?...[/quote]

As stated, I'm not a collector, but those prices seem a tad optimist, imho. There are many factors for those interested in these amps, and there would have to be a solid (or perceived so..!) reason to justify asking so much. Certain models or versions are wanted; others less so.
In any case, being able to ship would spread the chances of a sale, I should think. Locally you'll be limited.