Why become a member? ×

Bravewood vs Fender Custom Shop

cameltoe

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1383826546' post='2269582']
Isn't the Pino bass a custom shop instrument ?

When I looked the other week it was something like £3,000 from GAK :o .
[/quote]

Can almost get a bass that looks new for that.

A serious note though, the price is suffering from taxes and import duties etc.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1383832552' post='2269724']
Can almost get a bass that looks new for that.

A serious note though, the price is suffering from taxes and import duties etc.
[/quote]

Sill over $4,200 though, a lot of money. I know it's a cool bass, but :o .

[url="http://www.bassclubchicago.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=FenderPino"]http://www.bassclubchicago.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=FenderPino[/url]

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1383823015' post='2269506']

Thanks for the tip on Crinson guitars HJ, another relic builder to stalk :)
[/quote]

Oooh ... guess what I found?

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/129227-crinson-telebass/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/129227-crinson-telebass/[/url]

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1383832968' post='2269734']
Oooh ... guess what I found?

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/129227-crinson-telebass/"]http://basschat.co.u...inson-telebass/[/url]
[/quote]

I have that Crinson now, great bass, and the relic work is amongst the best I've seen. It isnt hand built by them though. Its a japanese '51 reissue. Since buying it, I've had the rear of the body routed to accept the period correct larger string ferrules, fitted an original set of '52 tuners and screws, original '53 bridge with serial number and bakelite saddles, and an original '52 single screw tug bar. Looks the balls. Plays great too. The body and neck have clearly been completely stripped and refinished, relic'd. But it wasnt made by them.

Hope this helps.

Bravewood basses are fantastic, in my experience (I still have one), but some of the reviews on here have been less than favourable, so worth a read i think, to form your own opinion.

Fender CS - Well made basses, but they ahve about as much vintage feel and vibe, as a Lexus hybrid. They are just modern instruments. The strings are way too tight, the sound is too responsive and bright, the necks are thick lacquered, and very hard to play, when compared with an original. They are very well made guitars though. If you want something that looks old (At a distance), but plays and sounds new, then these are for you. A limited or masterbuilt would be different, but you are paying considerably more for that luxury.

For vibe, feel, playability, and cost (c£1500), I'd go for a Bravewood, or an '82 JV, or '82 Fullerton. They will all be fab basses to play and look at, and will hold value.

As has been said though, a Roadworn will cost less than half, look almost as good, have a much smoother, sanded neck, which will be nicer to play, and probably hold its value too, and you get to keep £800 in your pocket.

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1383825742' post='2269567']
I think it says a lot that no one has really mentioned Custom Shop.

I'm very, very tempted by Bravewood.

I may need to get in touch with him. If it takes 9 months then I can get the order in now, and save up in that time.

Does he require a deposit?
[/quote]

Yes, he takes £400 up front. He's in Redruth so not a million miles from you.

Just beware that if things go wrong with that brand of instrument maker in Redruth then expect no help from him unless you're prepared to do something like air the dirty laundry in public to get proper attention and a response/result.
That's what I had to do to get my custom ordered £1,500 bass's manufacturing defect sorted. A sad state of affairs and I can not recommend them to anyone.

A sour taste is putting it mildly. I feel more like smashing up & burning that bass most of the time rather than playing and enjoying it.

My advice is go second hand and try the thing out first.
That way you know what you are buying and you won't lose any value if you decide to sell it on.

Good luck!

[quote name='Noisyjon' timestamp='1383846958' post='2269960']
That way you know what you are buying and you won't lose any value if you decide to sell it on.

Good luck!
[/quote]
100% agreed on this. Buying custom shop/boutique should significantly narrow down the chances of getting a lemon, but it doesn't guarantee it will feel like "the right one"

[quote name='Noisyjon' timestamp='1383846958' post='2269960']
Just beware that if things go wrong with that brand of instrument maker in Redruth then expect no help from him unless you're prepared to do something like air the dirty laundry in public to get proper attention and a response/result.
That's what I had to do to get my custom ordered £1,500 bass's manufacturing defect sorted. A sad state of affairs and I can not recommend them to anyone.

A sour taste is putting it mildly. I feel more like smashing up & burning that bass most of the time rather than playing and enjoying it.

Good luck!
[/quote]

Yes, I read your post whilst searching and to be honest, that's where my doubt lies. I've read his 12 month warranty on the website, it seems he bemoans the fact that vintage/second hand instruments are sold with no warranty so why shouldn't his.

I have to say where yours is concerned, I'm surprised at the response you got. I can't say it doesn't cause me a bit of concern. I'm glad you finally managed to get it sorted.

Besides the obvious bitter taste, now the truss rod rattle has been sorted how does it feel and play?

As I stated in my first post, I know if somethings not right with the CS, a fault, or even if a part isn't how I described I wanted it, I'd have come back. I'm worried if the bravewood isn't quite right i'll be lumbered. It's a risk, but I'll have to think further before I make any decision.

I would vote for Fender Custom Shop . I have never had anything to do with Bravewood basses so cannot comment either way , but what I do know is that Fender CS are doing some sumptuous work , and either new or secondhand you should be able to find a bass made by them to satisfy your desires that will also keep a far better long-term resale value than a Bravewood . Little boutique builders come and go, but a good Fender will always be in demand and very saleable. Fender U.K will provide full backup for new basses, too , so you have no worries on that score.

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1383848333' post='2269992']
Yes, I read your post whilst searching and to be honest, that's where my doubt lies. I've read his 12 month warranty on the website, it seems he bemoans the fact that vintage/second hand instruments are sold with no warranty so why shouldn't his.

I have to say where yours is concerned, I'm surprised at the response you got. I can't say it doesn't cause me a bit of concern. I'm glad you finally managed to get it sorted.

Besides the obvious bitter taste, now the truss rod rattle has been sorted how does it feel and play?

As I stated in my first post, I know if somethings not right with the CS, a fault, or even if a part isn't how I described I wanted it, I'd have come back. I'm worried if the bravewood isn't quite right i'll be lumbered. It's a risk, but I'll have to think further before I make any decision.
[/quote]

The trouble is what he states about warranties is on seriously dubious legal ground, but that's another story.
At least you have some other feedback to base your buying decision on, that's all I can offer.

As for the bass itself - I have no idea what he done to the truss-rod to fix it as there was zero communications about it. The neck went off in a box for repairs and then came back with some signs of work at the truss rod end. That's it!

Playing/setup wise all the credit has to go to The Gallery in Camden as I paid them to put it back together and do a full setup on it for me. It plays like a custom shop instrument as a result.

I would suggest being patient and waiting for a used Bravewood to come up FS or try and find someone with one similar to what you are after and make them an offer!

FWIW I also have 2 Fender CS basses - a NOS '61 Jazz and a Masterbuilt P/J and they are both fantastically made, looking & sounding instruments.

[quote name='Noisyjon' timestamp='1383861632' post='2270238']
The trouble is what he states about warranties is on seriously dubious legal ground, but that's another story.
At least you have some other feedback to base your buying decision on, that's all I can offer.

As for the bass itself - I have no idea what he done to the truss-rod to fix it as there was zero communications about it. The neck went off in a box for repairs and then came back with some signs of work at the truss rod end. That's it!

Playing/setup wise all the credit has to go to The Gallery in Camden as I paid them to put it back together and do a full setup on it for me. It plays like a custom shop instrument as a result.

I would suggest being patient and waiting for a used Bravewood to come up FS or try and find someone with one similar to what you are after and make them an offer!

FWIW I also have 2 Fender CS basses - a NOS '61 Jazz and a Masterbuilt P/J and they are both fantastically made, looking & sounding instruments.
[/quote]

I notice on your gear list you have got a USA Lakland Bob Glaub . One of those would also be a viable alternative to a Fender C.S or Bravewood relic for Cameltoe in his quest for the ultimate Fender-style bass . They don't advertise it on their website , but I know Lakland will do an "inbetweener" Precision -style neck with the 1.625 nut width on request. on the USA basses They are very well- made and are comparable with Fender CS in terms of quality and attention to detail .

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1383863074' post='2270268']
I notice on your gear list you have got a USA Lakland Bob Glaub . One of those would also be a viable alternative to a Fender C.S or Bravewood relic for Cameltoe in his quest for the ultimate Fender-style bass . They don't advertise it on their website , but I know Lakland will do an "inbetweener" Precision -style neck with the 1.625 nut width on request. on the USA basses They are very well- made and are comparable with Fender CS in terms of quality and attention to detail .
[/quote]

+1 to what you said there Dingus and it is my favourite P type bass bar none. My go-to bass in fact!

Aside from the customer service issues, and how the relic'ing feels and looks, what are they like to play?

Like Mr Police Squad says, Bravewoods are lovely to play. My experience is they have a convincing authentic vintage feel about them, particularly the feel of the neck which is quite inspiring to play.I was also keen on the idea of having a bespoke build for a reasonable price, financially the ballpark equivalent of a second hand CS. I wanted a 1960 spec Jazz, in distressed surf green, matching headstock and a one-piece dirty-looking maple neck - not likely to pop up second hand. A 2nd hand CS, having already had its initial depreciation in value is a safer financial bet perhaps, as Dingus says, but I tend to buy as a consumer, and never sell basses, so it didn't concern me. I note there have been customer service issues, but my experience has been all good. Sadly I'm too much of a luddite to upload a picture.

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1383777200' post='2269132']
I've started to dream about my next bass. After dabbling with mid-price instruments for the past few years (£500+) I'm ready to now spend some serious cash. Also, as I seem to be playing less and less, I feel one really good bass would be a better option for me than the current 3 mid-priced ones I have.

I have played a few things over the years and the solid, dependable Precision Bass is what works for me. More specifically than that, I seem to prefer the older, vintage designed or inspired models. I like the way they look, but I just find they feel more comfortable and playable.

I am looking, realistically, 6 months down the road before I am ready to order, but I like knowing what I am aspiring to! I find the GAS helps when it has a focus! I was dabbling with the idea of a JV series, but really, I want to push the boat out and buy my perfect bass.

It will be a '57 style P bass. That's all I know at this point. I want it to be custom made, as I have a few specifics that I haven't found as available options on current off-the-shelf basses, and have narrowed it down at this point to Fender Custom Shop or Bravewood.

Bravewood states he's not taking any more orders, but he is local to me. I love the way his guitars look, but I have never seen or played one in the flesh. I love the idea of the hand-crafted instrument, every part hand cut and finished.

Custom Shop, I've played a '57 style and liked it, a lot, however it didn't feel like £1000 more guitar than my current precision. However I feel it's a safer option so to speak, as it's still Fender. If I felt like something wasn't right, or it didn't match my description perfectly, I'd have better comeback.

So, any further opinions from CS and Bravewood owners would be gratefully received!
[/quote]

It seems to me like you just fancy a new bass :) And looks seem to be one of the main driving factors.

If you really want to buy your 'perfect' bass, you need to PLAY a whole bunch of basses. Eventually you will find one that floats your rubber duck. It will attract your attention because it looks ace and you feel compelled to pick it up, then you will find it feels so lovely and gorgeous in your hands and magical notes and flowery phrases seem to flow from you, like this is the best you've ever played. You will get a sound that will make your belly tingle, a sound you've never had before.

Anything else and it's not the perfect bass for you. Then give it 12 months to see if, really, you just fancied a new bass.

Edited by xilddx

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1384048065' post='2272333']
It seems to me like you just fancy a new bass :) And looks seem to be one of the main driving factors.

If you really want to buy your 'perfect' bass, you need to PLAY a whole bunch of basses. Eventually you will find one that floats your rubber duck. It will attract your attention because it looks ace and you feel compelled to pick it up, then you will find it feels so lovely and gorgeous in your hands and magical notes and flowery phrases seem to flow from you, like this is the best you've ever played. You will get a sound that will make your belly tingle, a sound you've never had before.

Anything else and it's not the perfect bass for you. Then give it 12 months to see if, really, you just fancied a new bass.
[/quote]

I agree with most of what you said, except looks are not one of the main driving factors in my decision making, in fact I've repeatedly tried to draw the conversation away from looks. Yes I'm attracted to Bravewood etc because I've seen pictures of his basses and read his process for building on his site, but the purpose of this thread is to find out how they both feel and play in comparison to each other.

Feel is what it's all about.

When i bought my roadworn, I went into the local shop to buy a Classic 50's that had been brought in especially for me. I tried it, liked it, and hated the look of the same-but- beaten-up pink version sat in the rack. before I pulled the trigger though, the owner convinced me to have a go on the Roadworn- Ohh mama! That was that- deal done.

I do think the relic'ing looks bad on some Nash basses, but the main reason I'm put off is the off-the shelf assembly of unknown parts. At least with Fender CS I know it's good fender parts, and the Bravewood is completely hand made, for less than both!

Edited by cameltoe

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1384085771' post='2272522']
I agree with most of what you said, except looks are not one of the main driving factors in my decision making, in fact I've repeatedly tried to draw the conversation away from looks. Yes I'm attracted to Bravewood etc because I've seen pictures of his basses and read his process for building on his site, but the purpose of this thread is to find out how they both feel and play in comparison to each other.

Feel is what it's all about.

When i bought my roadworn, I went into the local shop to buy a Classic 50's that had been brought in especially for me. I tried it, liked it, and hated the look of the same-but- beaten-up pink version sat in the rack. before I pulled the trigger though, the owner convinced me to have a go on the Roadworn- Ohh mama! That was that- deal done.

I do think the relic'ing looks bad on some Nash basses, but the main reason I'm put off is the off-the shelf assembly of unknown parts. At least with Fender CS I know it's good fender parts, and the Bravewood is completely hand made, for less than both!
[/quote]

So why the need to replace your Roadworn?

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1384085999' post='2272530']
So why the need to replace your Roadworn?
[/quote]

No, the part about me 'just fancying a new bass' was entirely accurate! But then how many people who buy and sell on here really [i]need [/i]a new bass?

I would also like to replace the 3 I currently have, with one really good one.

I agree, it's probably better to play as many as I can til one speaks to me than rush a decision.

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1384088052' post='2272560']
No, the part about me 'just fancying a new bass' was entirely accurate! But then how many people who buy and sell on here really [i]need [/i]a new bass?

I would also like to replace the 3 I currently have, with one really good one.

I agree, it's probably better to play as many as I can til one speaks to me than rush a decision.
[/quote]

It's taken a while but when my 1983 USA Standard Jazz found me, it felt like a very special moment, it's a wonderful bass. But I do realise there are soft issues too, it's never all about practicality, more like a love affair.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1384048065' post='2272333']

[/quote]

This is very sound advice on many levels , but at the same time I have to say, that is a perfectly reasonable course of action to take a punt and order a custom bass , or buy a bass you have never actually played , providing you are willing to accept that it is a gamble. If I think about it, I didn't play any of the basses I have bought in the last twenty years before I bought them , and even if I had I would still have bought most of them , including the ones I didn't like that much . It's very easy to fall in and out of love with basses. I have got basses now that I ordered because they interested me , didn't like when I got them and then grew to love them over time. I would never have had that rewarding relationship if I had based my decision on a half hour demo in a shop. By the same token, I have bought basses in the past that I tried in shops and enthusiastic about and then never really gelled with in the long term . It's all so hit and miss.

If there are very definite things you are sure you do and don't want then a custom order can at least help you check off that list of requirements. A lot depends, of course, on how important the money is to you and how much you can realistically expect to recoup if your custom build doesn't come out how you would like and you want rid. Nowadays , if I order a bass and it is dissappointing for whatever reason , then that is no great shock, surprise or tragedy to me. You just have to accept it as part of the game. The more research you do beforehand , the more chance there is of a satisfactory outcome, but be aware that you are taking a risk , regardless.

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1384088052' post='2272560']
....it's probably better to play as many as I can til one speaks to me than rush a decision....
[/quote]

+1

I'd read so many good reviews about Nordy basses that when a P5 came up I rushed over to try it.

I spend over 2 hours playing backwards and forwards between the Nordy and my Lull PJ5 and while the Nordy sounded good, was comfortable to play and would have worked well in all my bands, the Lull just sounded so much better. There was nothing I could do to EQ the Nordy to sound good enough to challenge the Lull.

Be prepared to quickly move on any bass you've bought without hearing first.