Why become a member? ×

Bravewood vs Fender Custom Shop

cameltoe

I've started to dream about my next bass. After dabbling with mid-price instruments for the past few years (£500+) I'm ready to now spend some serious cash. Also, as I seem to be playing less and less, I feel one really good bass would be a better option for me than the current 3 mid-priced ones I have.

I have played a few things over the years and the solid, dependable Precision Bass is what works for me. More specifically than that, I seem to prefer the older, vintage designed or inspired models. I like the way they look, but I just find they feel more comfortable and playable.

I am looking, realistically, 6 months down the road before I am ready to order, but I like knowing what I am aspiring to! I find the GAS helps when it has a focus! I was dabbling with the idea of a JV series, but really, I want to push the boat out and buy my perfect bass.

It will be a '57 style P bass. That's all I know at this point. I want it to be custom made, as I have a few specifics that I haven't found as available options on current off-the-shelf basses, and have narrowed it down at this point to Fender Custom Shop or Bravewood.

Bravewood states he's not taking any more orders, but he is local to me. I love the way his guitars look, but I have never seen or played one in the flesh. I love the idea of the hand-crafted instrument, every part hand cut and finished.

Custom Shop, I've played a '57 style and liked it, a lot, however it didn't feel like £1000 more guitar than my current precision. However I feel it's a safer option so to speak, as it's still Fender. If I felt like something wasn't right, or it didn't match my description perfectly, I'd have better comeback.

So, any further opinions from CS and Bravewood owners would be gratefully received!

Throwing something different into the mix, have you tried the Roadworns? Based on the 50s/57, and I think they are incredible. Don`t go a bundle on the fake relic looks but the playability and resonance of these basses is just amazing.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1383778067' post='2269152']
Throwing something different into the mix, have you tried the Roadworns? Based on the 50s/57, and I think they are incredible. Don`t go a bundle on the fake relic looks but the playability and resonance of these basses is just amazing.
[/quote]

Yes, I am currently the proud owner of one in Fiesta Red.

I've also considered adding a Sunburst to the mix as I also think they are that good. (and actually have a wanted ad up to that effect)

Ideally though, I'd want another colour, (maybe white blond...mmm) plus 1.625-ish slim profile neck, as I find these massively easier to play due to my thick, stubby working class fingers.

I've heard the actual '57's didn't have 1.75" width necks at all, more 1.68 ish with a V taper which made playing even easier.

Edited by cameltoe

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1383778236' post='2269154']
Is it a relic you're after ?

There's a Nash is the sales section.

I played a bravewood relic a few years ago, it was really quite odd, it didn't just look old, but it felt it too, it genuinely seemed to be old.
[/quote]

I have reservations about Nash on first glance. The lack of available neck options (stuck with 10" radius, for a start) and that they use a replacement parts supplier but won't say who. I heard it used to be Allparts.

I also think some of the relic'ing looks just weird- some look really good, but some look like they've just had a belt sander taken to one corner of them.

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1383778319' post='2269155']
(and actually have a wanted ad up to that effect)
[/quote]

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/220448-fender-roadworn-jazz-sunburstrosewoodtortie/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/220448-fender-roadworn-jazz-sunburstrosewoodtortie/[/url]

The bravewood was probably the most realistic looking relic that I've seen.

More often than not they just don't look right. You think, well why would the paint be worn off there ? I mean who wears clothes with sleeves made out of sandpaper ?

I think fender started using poly finish in about 1963, that just wouldn't wear on the top through the action of someone's sleeve.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1383779493' post='2269173']
The bravewood was probably the most realistic looking relic that I've seen.

More often than not they just don't look right. You think, well why would the paint be worn off there ? I mean who wears clothes with sleeves made out of sandpaper ?

I think fender started using poly finish in about 1963, that just wouldn't wear on the top through the action of someone's sleeve.
[/quote]

I don't think fender started using Poly in 63. It was later.
Finish wears off if you play a lot. I know because I have done it. Even the 70's fender paint rubs through to the sealer.

Bravewood (as I've said before) are very good. He made my wife a '63 replica in Daphne blue, unreliced, with an 'A' width nut.
Email him. You're looking at about £1500 for a build by him.

I could post some pictures of my '57 but I've done it before but there is a picture on the Bravewood site. It's the bass owned by a certain ex policeman (Sting)

I owned a Bravewood Pbass for a while - one of the few basses I regret moving on (I'm a J bass player, really). The neck was fantastic, body was light and the whole bass was resonant and a joy to play. However, there are reports of poor customer experiences here (search?) and I've got a Bravewood J neck that has a persistent fretting issue.

I'd suggest going to meet and discuss what you want him before you make a decision.

Edited by BassBod

i have 2 Bravewoods -one is a giutar i bought 2nd hand which gave me confidence in ordering a jazz bass.

The ageing and finishing is as good as anything out there and better than the Fender equivalent, I think. In particular the impression of wear on the neck is very impressive. I have original '62 and '65 custom - colour jazz basses and it doesn't look, or play like an impostor.

The customer sevice aspect of the order was fine and the bass was delivered on time. You get the impression from the website that John probably doesn't have much patience with time-wasters or high maintenance customers As production is tiny,they seem to hold a good proportion of their value as well.

That is lovely.

Aside from the customer service issues, and how the relic'ing feels and looks, what are they like to play?

My Eureka bass moment came when I first played my Roadworn. It just felt right in a way I can't describe. My American Standard was a very good instrument, but I didn't feel any kind of connection with it, as such. It was more like a very well engineered tool. The RW felt like my arms had grown a bass, if that makes any sense at all. I'm hoping to achieve that same feeling with my next bass.

I used to have a Bravewood.

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/120144-separated-at-birth/page__p__1103936__hl__separated%20at%20birth__fromsearch__1#entry1103936

It was lush. I sold it because I NEEDED something else. It turns out that I did not need it after all, but it was too late by then. Ho hum. As GuyR said, it held up just fine against my 66 and ticked all the same boxes for me. I would not hesitate to go down the same route again. If he did 5 strings I would just flog all I have and order a J5 and a P5 and be done with it all.

Mr Police Squad - I am glad my wife is not a bassist as well otherwise we would be drowning in basses!

owen,
we are drowning in basses!!
Between us there a 6 P basses alone,
not to mention the other stuff.

I did have a slight issue with my Bravewood Sting bass. It rattled a bit, so I took it to my local tech (who is a genius) and he gave a clean bill of health.
He told me to change the strings and hey presto, problem solved. In fact I put the strings onto my JV-62 Squier and then the Squier exhibited the same problem.
I used my Bravewood for a 5 hour rehearsal last Sunday. It's light and sounds just like Stings. Watch the Police DVD, 'Certifiable'. It sounds great

I'd have a bravewood in a flash... I've spoken to John and he's a nice guy to deal with...

I was going to go for a mid reliced jazz replica but my money ran away.

My gas is cured now however. (secret fender)... don't tell the missus.

Owen, Living the dream.....very nearly :D

My brother has a Bravewood '68 strat replica (large headstock , maple board, black like Blackmore) and it's lovely. It's also got a nitro finish (it should be poly by '68) but John doesn't do Poly.

John said it would be about 9 months, so the laquer can properly cure before relicing. It took 9 months and he sent me the odd update and even some photos before he started relicing it. He is a massive Sting/Police fan and he's also a great bass player and gigs a lot round his area. He let me collect the bass and we went out for a curry aswell.

I'll check out Crinson guitars too