Why become a member? ×

Just had my first lesson with Jake!

stingrayPete1977

As promised by Jake (jakenewmanbass) ages ago he said if he was coming this way he would let me know so I could get a proper lesson, he did and he has given me one (two hours) :D
Lots to practice but it was just what I needed, no one had tried my bass or my bow other than other electric bass players so it was a nice start when they both passed Jakes test, onto standing and supporting the bass where he has got me balancing the bass better which no matter how many clips I had watched I couldnt fine tune it, arm weight and finger spacing/hand shape, various note stops and then shifting in quite a few ways leading to some fairly complex slides etc. Finished with some bow technique so I finally now how to hold the damn thing!

If I take my time and apply all the little bits he has taught me im sure they will add up to a big step forward, over to me to practice now.

Thanks again Jake, really good way to spend an evening :)

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='FLoydElgar' timestamp='1383819255' post='2269432']
Awesome !! What books are you working from?!
[/quote]
I have been working from the Rufus Reid book for a while, Jake could tell exactly where i was up to ability wise already and the things he has showed me should help me progress both more quickly and maybe more importantly with a much better technique.

[quote name='fatgoogle' timestamp='1383870130' post='2270370']
Great news. Just keep getting regular lessons now.[b] It takes a long time to become critical of your playing and practice[/b] and thats where a teacher becomes useful. Always be critical of everything you do and practice.
[/quote]
These are wise words, I guess it's adopting this idea that can prevent bad (or old) habits creeping in, and a teacher serves as a reminder.
What's hard for Pete is there appears to be no one close enough to have a regular lesson, I just popped in as I am working up north for 4 days.

Edited by jakenewmanbass

That's exactly my problem, ideally a monthly two hour lesson would keep me ticking along nicely, ok a weekly one would be better but work and life gets in the way so i will take a month or two to implement each thing I'm taught. Fingers crossed Jake will be passing through early next year so he can call in again and see if I'm improving.

• 1 month later...

I also have just had my first lesson with Jake. As a new DB player, I worked through some of Geoff's video's first through the Discover Double Bass website which were really helpful (and completely recommended) to give me a start, but no replacement for a teacher who is honest and critical!
Jake is a really easy going and approachable and listened to what issues I was having and what I wanted to achieve and made suggestions, particularly concerning my posture, arm and finger positioning. It is amazing what a difference a small adjustment can make to your playing and it is difficult to see all these things yourself. I have loads of information to digest and some basic practice lines to help. Hopefully i can keep it up without drifting back into bad habits, and will definitely be visiting again after Christmas.
Thanks Jake, you have my recommendation...