Why become a member? ×

Genz Benz bargains?

Mace

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1383821724' post='2269473']
Just wondering would Bassdirect/The Bass Gallery match the price that GAK are offering these cabs for?
[/quote]

I assumed not... The gallery have one in stock but it's £805. (*edit* just checked and it's now out of stock)

I could have picked it up on my way home from work yesterday....

With my previous experience of GAK I may hold off on the cover until it actually arrives as well!

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1383821724' post='2269473']
This is a great idea. However GAK do not actually have the cabs in their warehouse yet. Ok, all should be good to go by the end of next week according to GAK, but you never know. I would prefer to wait until I actually have the cab in my possession, then get the cover.

Just wondering would Bassdirect/The Bass Gallery match the price that GAK are offering these cabs for?
[/quote]

I guess it depends if Fender offered to sell them at the cheap price they did to GAK. GAK are a huge buyer, so probably get massive discounts.

It DOES make you wonder how much these actually cost in labour/parts to make. It also makes you not want to spend £1000 on a cab ever again. The Faital drivers in this cab are pretty expensive!

I'm guessing somewhere along the line someone is potentially losing money, but selling a LOT of stock to clear up.

The bizarre thing is, I was very patient with buying a neo 212, and I did a lot of research around it.

This cab consistently gets good reviews, its light, its high end, and its well engineered.

I was so close to ordering the older NeoX model, then they changed to Faital drivers, then I again almost ordered.

I was incredibly patient, then this!

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1383822317' post='2269489']
The bizarre thing is, I was very patient with buying a neo 212, and I did a lot of research around it.

This cab consistently gets good reviews, its light, its high end, and its well engineered.

I was so close to ordering the older NeoX model, then they changed to Faital drivers, then I again almost ordered.

I was incredibly patient, then this!
[/quote]

I wasn't even really on the look out for a 212 to be honest, I only play small venues at the moment and my current rig is more than enough, but this is too good a deal to turn down... That's a lot of cab for £379...

I need a head to go with it now, thinking either the Streamliner 600 or a Aguila TH 500...

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1383822060' post='2269481']
I'm guessing somewhere along the line someone is potentially losing money, but selling a LOT of stock to clear up.
[/quote]
I spoke to Mark at Bass Direct a while back about the Genz offers and his version of events is this. Fender bought Genz, (along with some other soon to wound up brands), but did not put much budget into advertising. Sales dropped and in an attempt to get some money back they are just clearing out stock at stupid prices.
I am assuming this is stock they inherited as part of the GB purchase, so what the items cost to manufacture is pretty irrelevant. This could then result in th brand then being dropped.
I think it unlikely BD will price match as the cabs are not actually in stock, the first condition in any company price-matching.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1383822488' post='2269492']
I wasn't even really on the look out for a 212 to be honest, I only play small venues at the moment and my current rig is more than enough, but this is too good a deal to turn down... That's a lot of cab for £379...

I need a head to go with it now, thinking either the Streamliner 600 or a Aguila TH 500...
[/quote]
I guess the Streamliner/Shuttle would be the best match, particularly at these knock down prices. But what about after sales support/service on Genz Benz amps?. After all it appears they are being phased out by Fender

Edited by leroydiamond

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1383823057' post='2269510']
I guess the Streamliner/Shuttle would be the best match, particularly at these knock down prices. But what about after sales support/service on Genz Benz amps?. After all it appears they are being phased out by Fender
[/quote]

Yes I am a little concerned about any potential warranty issues, amps do go wrong after all... I'm also not sure about the tube preamp in them - would that not make them a bit delicate for bumping around in the front pocket of a gigbag?

Damn good price though...

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1383823672' post='2269528']
I was really close to ordering the Bergantino CN212. Some say it has the edge over the Genz Benz, but I cannot imagine this edge being worth an extra £571!
[/quote]

Berg cabs have an excellent reputation, and although tonally I don't think the pevious AE212 was for me, (very wide modern tone, lots of low end, polite mids) the CN212 seems to be a very very well regarded cabinet. It will be the highest quality, and is 1lb lighter than the NX2 212 T.

As you say, the Berg cabs are a lot more money, and boutique in a sense. The Bergs will hold their value pretty well, and the Genz will probably sell for more once the sale is over.

BTW - Do not worry about the warranty. They are not allowed to sell the units without a warranty. Genz are serviced by Fender UK.

Genz are no more, but the key staff are apparently working inside Fender on new amps. You can also still contact the Genz staff on Talkbass.

If I was looking for a new amp, I'd snap up a Streamliner 900, Shuttlemax 9.2, Shuttle 9.2, or the Shuttlemax 12.2. I have two Genz amps which luckily were very low priced, so I haven't lost out.

The warranty issue is exactly the same as if you bought a different brand, eg Aguilar. UK service centres will deal with it.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1383823424' post='2269519']
Yes I am a little concerned about any potential warranty issues, amps do go wrong after all... I'm also not sure about the tube preamp in them - would that not make them a bit delicate for bumping around in the front pocket of a gigbag?

Damn good price though...
[/quote]

I've been gigging my Streamliner for a couple of years now (ish), it lives in a padded laptop rucksack with my leads, it goes in the back of my car or in the van, depending on gig arrangements, and it's been absolutely fine, apart from the intermittent light thing, which it did from day one anyway, and is completely irrelevant for me.

M

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1383825989' post='2269570']
If I was looking for a new amp, I'd snap up a Streamliner 900, Shuttlemax 9.2, Shuttle 9.2, or the Shuttlemax 12.2. I have two Genz amps which luckily were very low priced, so I haven't lost out.

The warranty issue is exactly the same as if you bought a different brand, eg Aguilar. UK service centres will deal with it.
[/quote]

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1383826384' post='2269576']
I've been gigging my Streamliner for a couple of years now (ish), it lives in a padded laptop rucksack with my leads, it goes in the back of my car or in the van, depending on gig arrangements, and it's been absolutely fine, apart from the intermittent light thing, which it did from day one anyway, and is completely irrelevant for me.

M
[/quote]

Thanks gents that's reassuring, the STM600 looks about right for my needs...

Although I'm fighting the urge not to order the 12.2 and another one of the remaining NX2-212s... in reality I'm unlikely to ever need that much power.

Cheers

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1383825989' post='2269570']
Berg cabs have an excellent reputation, and although tonally I don't think the pevious AE212 was for me, (very wide modern tone, lots of low end, polite mids) the CN212 seems to be a very very well regarded cabinet. It will be the highest quality, and is 1lb lighter than the NX2 212 T.

As you say, the Berg cabs are a lot more money, and boutique in a sense. The Bergs will hold their value pretty well, and the Genz will probably sell for more once the sale is over.

BTW - Do not worry about the warranty. They are not allowed to sell the units without a warranty. Genz are serviced by Fender UK.

Genz are no more, but the key staff are apparently working inside Fender on new amps. You can also still contact the Genz staff on Talkbass.

[/quote]

Very interesting. I am tempted to go for a streamliner or shuttle to go with the cab. Which would you or anyone else here suggest I should snap up?. I play in a classic rock covers band and either use a Sadowsky J bass or a Fender pre cbs jazz

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1383827908' post='2269607']
Very interesting. I am tempted to go for a streamliner or shuttle to go with the cab. Which would you or anyone else here suggest I should snap up?. I play in a classic rock covers band and either use a Sadowsky J bass or a Fender pre cbs jazz
[/quote]

Streamliner - Warm, thick tone. It has a very nice high end, the sparkle is there but its warm! It's a very classic tone.

Set flat, the bass is quite huge, and the mids need a bump. But bass at 10 and mids at 2 and its stunning. Really nice. It can also do extremely loud clean tube tone, and you can add grit if you want it.

Shuttle/Shuttlemax - Clear, precise, more 'flat'. Very modern. It will warm up, but its much more quick and modern sounding. Lot's of detail.

At the current prices I'd get a Streamliner 900, Max 9.2 or Shuttle 9.2.

Mark @ BD has the Max 9.2 and it is a very cool amp. Ultra flexible. It won't however have the warmth of heft of the Streamliner.

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1383827908' post='2269607']
[/quote]
Depends what sound you're after. The Streamliner gives a rich, warm sound along the lines of Trace Elliot or Ampeg with some 'valve' drive on tap if you want it. The Shuttle is a crisper sound and has some shaping filters onboard. I use a Streamliner 600 in a classic rock band through a 2x12 cab and it ticks all the boxes for me.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1383822488' post='2269492']
[/quote]

Yup. Me too. I fancied a change, but I was perfectly happy with my Compact. This sale was perfectly timed for me. Now I just need to sell my Compact... damn the stagnant market!!

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1383827606' post='2269600']
Thanks gents that's reassuring, the STM600 looks about right for my needs...

Although I'm fighting the urge not to order the 12.2 and another one of the remaining NX2-212s... in reality I'm unlikely to ever need that much power.

Cheers
[/quote]

I had the same thought. I'm actually more keen on the Uber 15 setup.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1383829719' post='2269662']
I had the same thought. I'm actually more keen on the Uber 15 setup.
[/quote]

I'm getting more tempted by the minute.... that 12.2 looks superb, with the valve channel and the FET channel and the ability to blend the two. Have you tried one?

Right must actually do some work today instead of coming on here and buying Genz stuff from GAK... who started this thread? its all your fault...

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1383830505' post='2269680']
I'm getting more tempted by the minute.... that 12.2 looks superb, with the valve channel and the FET channel and the ability to blend the two. Have you tried one?

Right must actually do some work today instead of coming on here and buying Genz stuff from GAK... who started this thread? its all your fault...
[/quote]

I have a Max 9.2 otherwise I would have opted for the 12.2.

Really flexible super cool amps IMO. Every feature/EQ knob is actually worthwhile.

Come to think of it...now I'm tempted for a Max 12.2 ARGHHHHH

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1383831656' post='2269701']
The fet channel on the 9.2 max is brilliant too, that's something the streamliner hadn't got, all the Genz heads have a place even the 3.0 is a great head as a super tiny spare with a di too.
[/quote]

I've heard rumours the 3.0 may well may a come back with Fender.