Why become a member? ×

why some (mainly Fenders) & not others?

Horizontalste

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1384375770' post='2275993']
What if you customise the Fender in a workshop you built without planning permission?
[/quote]
Then I would retrospectively apply for it if, after research, I ascertained it was necessary. Should it transpire that the workshop was built illegally, then I would remove it from the bedroom.

If you customise your Fender bass by less than10% you don't need planning permission, but you will need a Building Regulations certificate, issued once it has been inspected by your local Council. This does not apply if you modify it in a conservation area, in which case you will need the permission of the Conservation Officer. Pre-CBS basses are usually listed Grade II, and protected by English Heritage, which means it is a criminal offence to modify them

People like fiddling with stuff. Go to a car parts store on a Sunday and there'll be a queue of people buying stuff to bling up their car. Same with PCs. Almost anything really.

But my car seems to work ok without new 'rims' or an extra-noisy 'silencer', my PC is fine without having fans with LEDs and fancy internal wiring and my two basses seem to sound pretty good in their original state so I'm obviously not qualified to comment.

[quote name='GuyR' timestamp='1384383807' post='2276168']
If you customise your Fender bass by less than10% you don't need planning permission, but you will need a Building Regulations certificate, issued once it has been inspected by your local Council. This does not apply if you modify it in a conservation area, in which case you will need the permission of the Conservation Officer. Pre-CBS basses are usually listed Grade II, and protected by English Heritage, which means it is a criminal offence to modify them
[/quote]
:D

At least the repeat Fender Bass Buyers have preconcieved ideas of what parts should be on the bass when they buy it. According to them. There are a lot of Fenders around, and a good number of models that spin-off from the originals. I've had G&L's, and Rickenbackers that I didn't change anything on them, other than the strings. The enormous parts availability for Fender Is the deciding factor for the mods though.

Edited by gsgbass

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1384363008' post='2275731']
folk buy a Fender whilst thinking as they pay over their money that they will change loads of things on it to try to get it to sound in some way different. If it's not what you want why not buy something that's nearer to what you want?
[/quote]

Because in some cases, that "ideal" bass might not exist, or might be impossible to source (due to availability, cost, etc).

For example, Bobby Vega (to the best of my knowledge) has EMG pickups in all his (Fender) Jazzes. If he likes the way a Fender J plays, but prefers the sound of an EMG J set to the stock pickups, what's the issue? I think he is qualified to make such a judgement and entitled to act on it... B)

Some people seem to go out of their way to look for things to worry about! :rolleyes: :)

[quote name='GuyR' timestamp='1384383807' post='2276168']
[/quote]

Excellent!! And even more hilarious if you've ever had to deal with these kind of issues... :rolleyes: :lol:

Wouldn't it be boring if everyone played a burst and tort fender.....oh mostly they do right now if watching Glastonbury, v festival, and jools Hollands show is anything to go by!

Look at minis, no two are the same as they leave the factory and the standard ones won't stay that way long as there are parts a plenty on Ebay to bolt on, doesn't hurt the resale value or even increases it just like with fenders.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1384417328' post='2276332']
If you bought something other than a Fender it was because that was the bass that suited you and there was therefore little need to modify it.
[/quote]

I think that is a massive over-simplification.