Why become a member? ×

4x10 Dilemma

NJE

Well I haven't been to Bass Gear or Bass Direct yet, simply because I have been having a slight mental breakdown figuring out what I need and what I can move easily without spending £1500. I am on the verge of changing the whole rig at the moment.

Because I have always had relatively low powered heads I have always had 4ohm cabs to get the most out of them. This limits my choice of single cabs to an extent, so I have been thinking about higher powered heads and not necessarily driving at 4ohm.

Looking at possibly going to a Tonehammer 500 or the AG500 at the moment (although tempted by a EBS HD350) and starting off with just a single DB112 cab until I can get one secondhand somewhere.

On the off chance, anyone using a single DB112?

I am a massive fan of the Aguilar DB cabs, but there is a caveat to that:

A) - The prices for the DB cabs now are, IMO, too high. I bought a DB212 for a little bit more than the current price of a DB112 (brand new as well).
B ) - 1 DB112 cab will struggle if you are going from a 4x10 and want to retain most of the volume. In fact, it just won't work. You will be pushing one speaker very hard.
C) - A DB112 cab is not light, if you compare it to many 2x12s on the market. Eg, the Berg CN 212 is around 46lbs, the GB NX2 212T is 47lbs. They will absolutely outperform a single 12.

I own a DB212 and the tone is fantastic. It looks great, has a tone I prefer, and is plenty loud enough. I could not rehearse with a DB112 that well, never mind gig, unless its quite a quiet band or they don't have a lot of stage volume.

Despite all this, the DB112/212 is still one of my favourite cabs for tone.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='NJE' timestamp='1384021718' post='2272061']
Well I haven't been to Bass Gear or Bass Direct yet, simply because I have been having a slight mental breakdown figuring out what I need and what I can move easily without spending £1500. I am on the verge of changing the whole rig at the moment.

Because I have always had relatively low powered heads I have always had 4ohm cabs to get the most out of them. This limits my choice of single cabs to an extent, so I have been thinking about higher powered heads and not necessarily driving at 4ohm.

Looking at possibly going to a Tonehammer 500 or the AG500 at the moment (although tempted by a EBS HD350) and starting off with just a single DB112 cab until I can get one secondhand somewhere.

On the off chance, anyone using a single DB112?
[/quote]

Just saw you are using the reidmar. Have you thought about 2 EBS classic line 1x12s

I don't know what the DB112 is like at all so can't comment.
As far as heads go, there are some that hold their power a lot better than others and I found the TH500 a little quiet and something lacking in the preamp. Genz shuttles are dirt cheap now new and I always like Markbass stuff. The Orange Terror bass 500 is a loud monster, but rather featureless, but it will put out 500 watts into a 4 or 8 ohm load.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1384026402' post='2272147']
I am a massive fan of the Aguilar DB cabs, but there is a caveat to that:

A) - The prices for the DB cabs now are, IMO, too high. I bought a DB212 for a little bit more than the current price of a DB112 (brand new as well).
B ) - 1 DB112 cab will struggle if you are going from a 4x10 and want to retain most of the volume. In fact, it just won't work. You will be pushing one speaker very hard.
C) - A DB112 cab is not light, if you compare it to many 2x12s on the market. Eg, the Berg CN 212 is around 46lbs, the GB NX2 212T is 47lbs. They will absolutely outperform a single 12.

I own a DB212 and the tone is fantastic. It looks great, has a tone I prefer, and is plenty loud enough. I could not rehearse with a DB112 that well, never mind gig, unless its quite a quiet band or they don't have a lot of stage volume.

Despite all this, the DB112/212 is still one of my favourite cabs for tone.
[/quote]

I am glad I posted that question I think I needed someone to tell me it was a daft idea. I suspected I would struggle with one DB112, and right now because of the prices 2 is going to be out of my range unless 2 pop up secondhand. I think I got a bit too excited after looking at the aguilar site, DB cabs are very nice looking things.

Big fan of DB cabs but MM20 is right... DB112 alone is a bad idea...esp if coming down from a decent 410.
You might pick up GS112's more easily but again, you'll need two.
Same chassis, completely different bias.

I have a couple of Berg AE112's I might sell...

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1384074755' post='2272387']
Big fan of DB cabs but MM20 is right... DB112 alone is a bad idea...esp if coming down from a decent 410.
You might pick up GS112's more easily but again, you'll need two.
Same chassis, completely different bias.

I have a couple of Berg AE112's I might sell...
[/quote]

Potentially very interested if you are thinking about moving some bergs!

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1384082705' post='2272485']
If you are happy with EBS you should consider their 2x12 Neo. Only 24kg, an easy one handed lift. Great sounding cabs, I had one for years and only sold it because I was seduced by the lure of a 4x12!
[/quote]
[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1384092512' post='2272616']
The NX2 is now £399 at Bass Direct. Save yourself a lot if hassle and get one! It's basically almost half price!

The NX2 will get very close to 4x10 volume and punch, beating some of the more normal mid priced 4x10s easily.
[/quote]

That Genz is an amazing deal! However, my issue with my current cab is size more than the desire for 12" speakers over 10". I was looking at single 12's so that it was two small lifts instead of one big lift. To be honest weight isn't really a huge factor its more about whether I can get them in the car without folding seats down and get them up and down my stairs without marking walls and taking out banisters.

I thought a single 2x12 cab might be an option but after some research, they are all basically the same size as my neo 410 give or take an inch here and there. So I think its definitely two 1x12 cabs now or two 2x10 cabs otherwise its not worth the hassle swapping my cabs.

I have picked up my EBS 110 today and compared it size wise to the Bergs available. I am still a bit mystified as to how they can make such small cabs have such deep and powerful bass and give as much power as they seem to......seems like witchcraft to me!! :lol:

Well I have taken the first step, my cabs are up for sale although the second I pushed the 'post' button I felt a bit sad about selling the 4x10. After all this fuss and bother they probably wont even sell, but I am going to try and get two 1x12 cabs now and see how it goes, fingers crossed!!