Why become a member? ×

Oliv Strings, going crazy out of tune!?

SevenSeas

I just sold some Olivs but the D and G were not new when I got them. They de-tuned overnight often, depending on temperature and humidity change. But when playing them i didn't notice any meaningful tuning shifts. So in short I guess they do settle down but will never be completely stable tuning-wise (like any gut string)

I play raw guts which are a lot less stable than Olivs. The trick is put them on properly, so there is no slack around the tuning pegs. With gut strings, tuning has to become what you do as a habit. When they are new, yes, even between songs, but they do settle down fairly quickly (depending on how often you play of course). It's a case of like it or lump it really, a small price to pay for the awesome sound IMO. In saying that, if your strings are a few weeks old and they still loose tuning between songs, I think it's nothing to do with guts and more to do with your tuning pegs needing replaced or the strings being badly fitted.
Olivs are great strings, you've made a brilliant choice.

Edited by Rabbie

To be fair, lots of folk give guts such a terrible name but they really are not all that high maintenance, they do stay in tune once they stretch and if you are in the uk they really are not affected by climate changes unless you play whilst being cremated.