Why become a member? ×

RMS Wattage

sebastian

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1383344820' post='2263547']

Increase from the 11w one to the 60w one, same brightness. Because watts isn't the determining factor of brightness. Same way that it isn't the determining factor for loudness.
[/quote]
You are missing the point. Comparing fluorescent to tungsten is irrelevant. As you increase the wattage of either, the brightness increases. Nothing to do with loudspeakers at all.
Back to the original thread...

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1383346284' post='2263563']
You are missing the point. Comparing fluorescent to tungsten is irrelevant. As you increase the wattage of either, the brightness increases. Nothing to do with loudspeakers at all.[/quote]Au contraire. A higher sensitivity speaker will be louder than a lower sensitivity speaker with the same power applied. A speaker with lower frequency response will be louder at low frequencies than one with less low frequency response. If one only looks at watts one has no true inkling as to the actual result.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1383348530' post='2263591']
Au contraire. A higher sensitivity speaker will be louder than a lower sensitivity speaker with the same power applied. A speaker with lower frequency response will be louder at low frequencies than one with less low frequency response. If one only looks at watts one has no true inkling as to the actual result.
[/quote]

Plus same as with light bulbs, if you increase the applied power beyond the rating, they don't get louder, they get quieter, because they stop working.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1383344820' post='2263547']
Increase from the 11w one to the 60w one, same brightness. Because watts isn't the determining factor of brightness. Same way that it isn't the determining factor for loudness.
[/quote] so florescent tube bulbs give a wide frequency light in the greeny bit of the spectrum, and incandescent a narrower frequency of light in the yellowy spectrum.
What I'm wondering is what's better for metal?

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1383350230' post='2263614']
so florescent tube bulbs give a wide frequency light in the greeny bit of the spectrum, and incandescent a narrower frequency of light in the yellowy spectrum.
What I'm wondering is what's better for metal?
[/quote]
At last some sanity. I'd go for Black.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1383350230' post='2263614']
so florescent tube bulbs give a wide frequency light in the greeny bit of the spectrum, and incandescent a narrower frequency of light in the yellowy spectrum.[/quote]Flourescents waste less energy as heat. For proof, take a CFL and incandescent of the same lumens output, put your hands on each. :o
By the same token low sensitivity speakers convert less energy into sound, more into heat than high sensitivity speakers. Equal power applied, totally different results, by as much as a 20:1 ratio best case to worst. So you can have a 5 watt amp and speaker combination that has the same decibel output as another that's a 100 watt amp and speaker combination. Watts? Not totally irrelivent, but almost.

Edited by Bill Fitzmaurice

Thanks very much everyone for participating - I can see the conversation went a bit off topic :)

I'm now back with my new amp - and the winner is Gallien Krueger Fusion 550 - what a head!

After checking the SVT 4 Pro and the GK 1001RB I've also decided to test this one and it beats the other two no questions.

Ampeg didn't win this battle for the following reasons:

- they appear to not be very reliable - even the guy in the shop confirmed it.
- comparing to the GK Fusion 550 - even though both are suppose to run at 350W @ 8 ohms it was NOT delivering as much volume as GK with the same gain and volume position and with the flat EQ - really strange as I've also read about it a few times people were complaining about it not being very loud.
- the cost comparing to GK was much higher for not really much benefit - I got the GK for £713.00 when Ampeg was £1245.00

The GK is a serious beast - doesn't look like it at first and 500 watts doesn't seem to sound like much, but after plugging in my 5 string Warwick corvette with pretty tired DR strings and connecting it to my Carvin cab, the sound it produced was just unreal.

If you haven't yet I strongly recommend you guys try this amp next time you're in the music store.

Thanks again for participating and all the best everyone.

Edited by sebastian

[quote name='sebastian' timestamp='1383427101' post='2264464']
- comparing to the GK Fusion 550 - even though both are suppose to run at 350W @ 8 ohms it was NOT delivering as much volume as GK with the same gain and volume position and with the flat EQ - really strange as I've also read about it a few times people were complaining about it not being very loud.
[/quote]

Knob position doesn't relate to much, and flat eq and knobs in the middle are two totally different things.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1383430578' post='2264518']
Knob position doesn't relate to much, and flat eq and knobs in the middle are two totally different things.
[/quote]

I'm sure they are, but whatever way you wouldn't set it up - GK was still delivering more power and punch than Ampeg - hence I've decided to go for this one.

Edited by sebastian

[quote name='sebastian' timestamp='1383303923' post='2262811']
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and I was wondering if someone could help me out.
Basicaly, tomorrow I'm planning to purchase a new amp, but I want it to work with my existing cabinet : Carvin RL410T (here's the datasheet of this specific model: [url="http://www.carvinguitars.com/manuals/RL410T_Datasheet.pdf"]http://www.carvingui...T_Datasheet.pdf[/url]).

The amps I'm planning to test are:

- Ampeg SVT 4 Pro ([url="http://www.ampeg.com/pdf/SVT4PRO.pdf"]http://www.ampeg.com/pdf/SVT4PRO.pdf[/url])
- Ampeg SVT 7 Pro ([url="http://www.ampeg.com/products/pro/svt7pro/pdf/sw0787_revb.pdf"]http://www.ampeg.com...sw0787_revb.pdf[/url])
- Gallien Krueger 1001RB ([url="http://www.gallien-krueger.com/manuals/1001RB-II_700RB-II.pdf"]http://www.gallien-k...II_700RB-II.pdf[/url])

I haven't got a great knowlege in amp sector, even though I was playing bass for many years I'm more of the power switch and volume guy.

The cab has a power handling of 600 watts and nominal impedance of 8 ohms and i just want to make sure that whatever amp I'll choose, will work well with it. Obviously with the time I might consider upgrading the cab, but for the time being that's not on the menu.

What I specifically don't understand is the RMS wattage.
Taking the example of SVT 4 Pro, which has 350W rms @ 8 ohms on the power amp A and B.
Does that mean that I will be able to use it with the Carvin cab and will I only get 350W of power or - is this going to be too much for the cab?

As I said - I'm really new to all this and woud appreciate some help if possible.

Thanks.
Sebastian
[/quote]

I'm another that would echo the sentiment of just get the amp that sounds right for you and your music. It will be fine with your cab as long as you use your ears and listen for any farting/distortion which is a sign it's not happy and just needs some volume or EQ reduction.

As mentioned before there's some great amps for sale on here and I would heartily recommend the Mesa Boogie M6 Carbine.

Good luck!