Why become a member? ×

A first go on the new Zulu Bass.

xilddx

It's a heavily modded Squier VM Jag but the pup and tronics are original so you are hearing the sound of the Squier. It has active 3 band and a single humbucker like a Stingray. It's got La Bella Black Nylon Tapewound 760N on, 115-60 gauge. It's going to be used solely for the deep dubby sounds of London Zulu.

I put this together quickly last night to try it out. Into Logic via my POD with a patch I made specially.

[url="https://soundcloud.com/silddx/zulu-bass-demo"]https://soundcloud.c.../zulu-bass-demo[/url]

Edited by xilddx

Very nice Nige! That's a cool 50 or so seconds you've put together there... I want to hear the rest of it now :D

Bass sounds great. Punches through like a good 'un. I've been following your build diary and it looks great too. Especially with the new strings - and of course, [i]the[/i] scratchplate. I want one.

Thanks Paul :)

I really like the sound of it, it's got a pretty fast attack which makes it sound punchy I think, must be the pickup placement and the fact its a HB, noticeably different to the slight spongyness of my Jazz neck SC. Probably the strings too. It's a lovely combination.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1383270162' post='2262513']
Thanks Paul :)

I really like the sound of it, it's got a pretty fast attack which makes it sound punchy I think, must be the pickup placement and the fact its a HB, noticeably different to the slight spongyness of my Jazz neck SC. Probably the strings too. It's a lovely combination.
[/quote]

Nige, the tracks REALLY good too!

It really reminds me of the assassins creed soundtrack which I picked up in a special edition boxset.

If you good Jasper Kyd : Assassins Creed you should get some good results. The two sound nothing alike but I think the interwoven rhythms are what I'm being reminded of.

Infact here's a track for you
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcsWMSCBZRM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcsWMSCBZRM[/url]

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1383298385' post='2262668']
Bloody hell, 60-115. I hope i never have to shake your hand I'd never be able to play again!
[/quote]

:D I have small and delicate hands mate, the compliance of the strings is quite soft, they feel as easy to play as the 40-95 sets I normally use.

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1383298577' post='2262673']
Good sound and bit of tune by the way!

Also it's a shame you don't know the name of the chords in that other piece. You could but a horrible melody over it. A bit like God Eaters of Alien Love Secrets by Vai.
[/quote]

Cheers man, oddly I can imagine melodies over those chords :)

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1383299244' post='2262690']
Nige, the tracks REALLY good too!

It really reminds me of the assassins creed soundtrack which I picked up in a special edition boxset.

If you good Jasper Kyd : Assassins Creed you should get some good results. The two sound nothing alike but I think the interwoven rhythms are what I'm being reminded of.

Infact here's a track for you
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcsWMSCBZRM[/media]
[/quote]

Thanks mate, I quite like that, will check em out.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1383270162' post='2262513']...must be the pickup placement and the fact its a HB, noticeably different to the slight spongyness of my Jazz neck SC. Probably the strings too. It's a lovely combination.[/quote]

I've been mucking around with a DIY project at home and I'm starting to realise that pickup placement makes a [i]huge[/i] difference. Interesting string choice too - lots of good reports about La Bella black nylon taped. I'm very unadventurous when it comes to strings... I need to get out more and live a little in that respect.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1383299866' post='2262707']I have small and delicate hands [/quote]

It's all about the gloves, innit. I bet you use Fairy mild washing up liquid too ;)

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1383301159' post='2262749']
I've been mucking around with a DIY project at home and I'm starting to realise that pickup placement makes a [i]huge[/i] difference. Interesting string choice too - lots of good reports about La Bella black nylon taped. I'm very unadventurous when it comes to strings... I need to get out more and live a little in that respect.

It's all about the gloves, innit. I bet you use Fairy mild washing up liquid too ;)
[/quote]

If you think how a string sounds, its harmonic overtones vs the fundamental, depending where you pluck it, and which part of the string is being picked up by the pickup, it starts making more sense. I think having the pup nearer the bridge quickens the attack and diminishes the presence of the fundamental.

I use Ecover Camomile and Marigold. No gloves :)

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1383267984' post='2262501']...I put this together quickly last night to try it out. Into Logic via my POD with a patch I made specially.

[url="https://soundcloud.com/silddx/zulu-bass-demo"]https://soundcloud.c.../zulu-bass-demo[/url]
[/quote]

Nice little demo, Nigel. I think I detect a modicum of oriental influence in the compo..? A pleasant change from the 'disco big beat' or 'metal thrash' often encountered.
The bass sounds fine; even 'brighter' than I would have credited (I use Trubass 88 black nylon...). Listening on 'phones, so maybe missing some sub-bass. A good job, anyway; thanks for sharing...

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1383302345' post='2262772']
Nice little demo, Nigel. I think I detect a modicum of oriental influence in the compo..? A pleasant change from the 'disco big beat' or 'metal thrash' often encountered.
The bass sounds fine; even 'brighter' than I would have credited (I use Trubass 88 black nylon...). Listening on 'phones, so maybe missing some sub-bass. A good job, anyway; thanks for sharing...
[/quote]

Cheers Dad. Arabic and African.

The LaBellas have a thin metallic top end and a a sort of low mid thump to them. I've used them before on a headless, and on a fretless. I really like them, very high quality and they feel lovely.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1383302215' post='2262769']If you think how a string sounds, its harmonic overtones vs the fundamental, depending where you pluck it, and which part of the string is being picked up by the pickup, it starts making more sense. I think having the pup nearer the bridge quickens the attack and diminishes the presence of the fundamental.

I use Ecover Camomile and Marigold. No gloves :)[/quote]

Wise words mate. I really need to start getting my head around the 'physics' of bass playing (I'm typically too entrenched in the techy side of production).

I use Ecover too. Cuts through the grease, is kind on my skin and good enough to drink! It's a win.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1384456264' post='2277018']
I don't know... You youngsters today. It sounds like your heating's on the blink. I know a good plumber if you need those radiators fixed.

NURSE!
[/quote]

[b][color=#ff0000][size=6]NURSE!![/size][/color][/b]

Nice Bass I listened to the sound clip and it sounds very Indian inspired to me I liked it wasnt so sure about the "ravey" bit though sorry. Just to think 12 months ago I would of just turned it off after a few seconds and said well that is s--t but when you play an instrument seriously you tend to appreciate all kinds of music :) good work mate :)