Why become a member? ×

No Bands...

vmaxblues

I'm in a similar position although I have been asked to play for another band. We've had couple of rehearsals but the music isn't challenging and my hearts not in it. It's all a bit boring so I'm probably going to day bye bye and take some time out, maybe pop along to the local jams and just see what happens.

As for selling any gear, not a chance. I'll keep it just in case.

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1383162108' post='2261097']
I`m in the same position myself. Fed up playing with muppets, I mean, other musicians. Think I`m going to take some time out and reflect.

What I am going to reflect on, I haven`t a clue.
[/quote]

+10000000000000000

There must be something in the air, I'm out in the cold at the moment too. But seriously what is WRONG with other musicians???

Im going to hibernate for the winter, I'm trying to sell off some of my gear and by a new rig, change my sound and try again in a different scene.

Flakes, the lot of them!

I'm seriously considering turning it in on a band I'm in. I'm supposedly in because of the way I play but am being constantly pressured into playing in a way that is very not me...ie soloing etc. Just can't be arsed with it. And then there's the fact no one else seems to put any effort in. Thankfully however I've got another band, so not a total loss :)

I have a few irons in the fire but I'm just not feeling it lately. I'd like an upright gig but I don't feel good enough to try joining anyone decent yet. Without sounding like an arse I can play it and I'm sure there are many players gigging on elec bass at a similar standard to my upright standard but its a long way off my normal ability on elec bass if that makes sense?

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1383167108' post='2261189']
I have a few irons in the fire but I'm just not feeling it lately. I'd like an upright gig but I don't feel good enough to try joining anyone decent yet. Without sounding like an arse I can play it and I'm sure there are many players gigging on elec bass at a similar standard to my upright standard but its a long way off my normal ability on elec bass if that makes sense?
[/quote]

Best thing you could do mate is find someone decent to play your upright with. Just dive in there, it's the only way to improve really.

Edited by miles'tone

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1383167108' post='2261189']
[/quote]

Join somebody sub-decent, and drag them up with you :)

Edited by alyctes

Well my musical career didn't get far. Was in a band since April, it dominated my life and stopped me doing other things that I loved, got replaced (sacked) last week. Do I want to get back on the merry-go-round?
Perhaps not. I'll sit on the fence in case anything comes along, but I won't hold my breath.

Is it the time of year? I left the band I'd been in for a couple of years (my heart wasn't in the musical direction the lead guitarist was dragging us in) to join a straight-up classic rock band. The singer of that band left because he wasn't happy with the direction the band was taking (he's more of an Indie singer) and we've struggled to find singers to audition, let alone find one who has the right voice for the band.

So, I'm torn between going back to my old band (the singer is playing bass but finding it cramps his ability to bounce around on stage - and if they want me) and just hanging on hoping a decent rock singer emerges. Or looking for an entirely new band. Or hibernating.

The trouble for me is that without a set of songs to work on, I lose my commitment to practice.

Depends how much you want it really...

I've been responding to online adverts looking for bass players, got another band to jam with next week. It seems to work quite well, they send me some tunes, I send them some examples of my playing. If they like it I learn a couple of their tunes and go for an audition. I've tried a couple that didn't work out, no biggie though, I'll just keep looking.

My problem is that I work full time and have a decent career that is way more important to me than music... the people I hook up with seem to be in the "rock stardom is my only hope" mindset.

[quote name='Jacqueslemac' timestamp='1383209421' post='2261463']

The trouble for me is that without a set of songs to work on, I lose my commitment to practice.
[/quote]

This is my problem also, it's hard to keep the work rate up knowing I won't be letting the side down by not learning stuff.

I love playing, and have been working my ass off in bands for the last 18 months, I feel really flat and struggle to get excited about playing to be honest.

Will survive this winter of discontent, working on my own playing and will emerge in the spring a better player.... At least that's the plan!

The band I was with since 2008 broke up at the beginning of the year so I've had quite a lot of time away from playing. I met up with a couple of bands in the summer and all of them had specific bass lines that they wanted me to play which is fair enough but not at all what I'm prepared to do unless I'm doing covers and being paid.

I've since decided not to bother with another band right now and I've chosen instead to study bass grades.

Edited by thebassist

I do wonder what I'd do when my current band finishes - not that is yet (that I know!). In fact, I don't think I've ever been happier....which would make things even tougher.

The thought of again, trailing the classifieds, the false starts.....I think I'd definitely have some time out to re-charge, and get some enthusiasm back.

Seems like it IS that time of year as I was recently 'released' by one of the bands I am in (female fronted covers band). They had parted with their young guitarist and bassist and myself and a guitarist stepped in. They still had a gig booked and since we weren't ready yet the previous incumbents were asked to dep. You can guess the outcome......

Yup, "we'd like to come back"...."yeah, go on then". Never mind, it wasn't really me, just a chance to get back gigging again after so long out.

Still, it has allowed me to concentrate on my main project of original material and we now have our first gig booked in December Yaayyy!!!

[quote name='AntLockyer' timestamp='1383220191' post='2261662']
I'm the opposite, massively enjoying everything and new opportunities presenting themselves all the time.
[/quote]
I have always found getting gigs quite easy (not always good gigs) and im sure one facebook update would get me a gig within a week, im just not really feeling it. I have a wrist injury that is looking like I will be permanantly not as good as I was, that could cause me a problem if any local bands that know me find that im not as good as they remember seeing me with other local acts :D

Edited by stingrayPete1977

It seems like I am always the one arranging everything, sorting out personnel, rehearsals etc... and everyone else lets me. The guitarist I have worked with over the years has just pulled the plug on the latest project and effectively killed it! I don't think I have the energy to set something else up. if something comes along where I can just turn up and do the job I will consider it.

It's not easy being the bass player you know.....

[quote name='Phil Adams' timestamp='1383208566' post='2261454']
Well my musical career didn't get far. Was in a band since April, it dominated my life and stopped me doing other things that I loved, got replaced (sacked) last week. Do I want to get back on the merry-go-round?
Perhaps not. I'll sit on the fence in case anything comes along, but I won't hold my breath.
[/quote]+1 to "it dominates your life" mate