Why become a member? ×

Rockschool or Trinity College for bass grades?

thebassist

I've been playing in bands for eighteen years but had my first bass/theory lesson last night and it really hit home how little I actually know. I did a bit of internet research and both seem to be well thought of but has anybody here done Rockschool or Trinity College bass grades? Better still, has anyone got firsthand experience of both? I'd really appreciate your opinions.

Edited by thebassist

I've only done Rockschool. I think it's a great resource, it's good for learning different styles and techniques and some essential theory and scales. Not had any experience of the Guildhall though so don't know how it compares.

I do think that the Rockschool Grades are a fantastic tool for anyone at a beginner/intermediate level. If you're more advanced as a player then they could still benefit you as an introduction to theory, but I think (blindly) that the Guildhall grades are more theory intensive. (?) I've been thinking about revisiting grades and doing the Guildhall grades myself for this reason.

I'm doing the trinity grade 8 now. I'd say its more enjoyable than the rock school as there 'real songs'. Even though they aren't transcribed to bit by bit they get the general jist of.

Then there's the improvisation and reading part. You choose one of them and then do it lol.

Then there's the 3 general questions like what do the knobs on your bass do etc. pretty hard to fail IMO

[quote name='ML94' timestamp='1383382228' post='2263761']
I'm doing the trinity grade 8 now. I'd say its more enjoyable than the rock school as there 'real songs'. Even though they aren't transcribed to bit by bit they get the general jist of.

[b]Then there's the improvisation and reading part. You choose one of them and then do it lol.

Then there's the 3 general questions like what do the knobs on your bass do etc. pretty hard to fail IMO[/b]
[/quote]

Referring to Rockschool here? Sounds familiar :)

[quote name='D.I. Joe' timestamp='1383391665' post='2263926']
Referring to Rockschool here? Sounds familiar :)
[/quote]

I think they nicked it from rock school. I've done that one as well. Taking out the scale portion and what chord is this etc. there pretty much the same aren't they

I got Rockschool Grade 3 with Merit after 6 months of playing and spending so much time on it held back my playing. I've improved a lot since I binned grades a year ago. I've taken a look at Trinity Grade 4 and although it has real recorded songs it doesn't have the technical exercises that you get with Rockschool ..... Scales, modes etc.

I suspect therefore that Rockschool is more involved but I might do a Trinity at some stage

[quote name='Mr Fretbuzz' timestamp='1383430149' post='2264517']
I got Rockschool Grade 3 with Merit after 6 months of playing and spending so much time on it held back my playing.
[/quote]

Interesting to hear that you found this, though the first one I did was Grade 4. I found that the grades helped me to improve my playing enormously; not just in terms of technical ability, but with musical understanding of a range of styles as well. I went through the grades while I was at college as I had free bass lessons as part of my course (which I did alongside A-Levels) and at the end passed Grade 8.

The higher grades are especially helpful in developing versatility with different styles and techniques and the Grade 8 exam features some ear training, improvising and transcribing exercises.

[quote name='thebassist' timestamp='1383580926' post='2266140']
I spoke to a guy who skipped grades 2 and 4 and regretted not doing them. I'll talk to my tutor again - I plan on becoming a tutor so my intention is to complete all of the courses so that I have firsthand experience of them myself.
[/quote]

Sounds like my situation too. I'm looking to begin tutoring and I'm thinking that using the grades would be a good way to go. When I started I went straight in at Grade 4 but I think that the way the books work is that they take you from the ground up, so would be useful for absolute beginners.

[quote name='D.I. Joe' timestamp='1383584465' post='2266206']
Sounds like my situation too. I'm looking to begin tutoring and I'm thinking that using the grades would be a good way to go. When I started I went straight in at Grade 4 but I think that the way the books work is that they take you from the ground up, so would be useful for absolute beginners.
[/quote]

Exactly, while I'm not a beginner myself I think I'll be able to better relate to what my students are embarking on if I've done all of the grades myself.

I don't have any experience with Trinity or Rockschool but you should definitely check out the Registry of Guitar Tutors bass grades ([url="http://www.rgt.org/exams/bass-guitar.php"]http://www.rgt.org/exams/bass-guitar.php[/url]).
They are recognized qualifications and the advanced grades (6,7 and 8) count as UCAS points towards university.
You learn scales, arpeggios, modes, bass patterns in different styles, improv, various aural skills and much more.
Plus you only have to buy three books at the most and can take any exam you like rather than them all.
It massively improved my playing no doubt!

[quote name='paulieaudiobloom' timestamp='1383692353' post='2267902']
I don't have any experience with Trinity or Rockschool but you should definitely check out the Registry of Guitar Tutors bass grades ([url="http://www.rgt.org/exams/bass-guitar.php"]http://www.rgt.org/e...bass-guitar.php[/url]).
They are recognized qualifications and the advanced grades (6,7 and 8) count as UCAS points towards university.
You learn scales, arpeggios, modes, bass patterns in different styles, improv, various aural skills and much more.
Plus you only have to buy three books at the most and can take any exam you like rather than them all.
It massively improved my playing no doubt!
[/quote]

Now that looks worth a look! Thanks :)