Why become a member? ×

Orange Crush

ali-stare

the other night i was playing on a mates Orange rig. My god it sounded fantastic, however at around £2000 a shot its a bit out of my price range. I was wondering if anyone had tried the cheaper Crush series and what are they like compared to their bigger valve brothers?

ali

I had one - it was quite good, bearing in mind it's a 12" speaker. Quite heavy for a low powered amp but good for practice. I'm not sure it would be loud enough to gig with in a full band situation, though.

I would love a little valve combo - do they exist? This is exactly the sort of thing I expect Orange to make.

Here's a crush 50 miles from me:http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Orange-Crush-35B-Bass-Guitar-Combo-New_W0QQitemZ330138717881QQihZ014QQcategoryZ10171QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Edited by paul, the

[quote name='ali-stare' post='23599' date='Jun 26 2007, 04:12 PM']the other night i was playing on a mates Orange rig. My god it sounded fantastic, however at around £2000 a shot its a bit out of my price range. I was wondering if anyone had tried the cheaper Crush series and what are they like compared to their bigger valve brothers?

ali[/quote]

The Crush range are nothing like the valve amps, they're good though. I think the 35B sounds a lot better than the 20B because the 20B has what sounds like some kind of built in limiter that kicks in at relatively low volumes (some people might like this, I don't). They're simple, well built, sound pretty good and they're cheap. Don't expect them to sound anything like the AD200 though... that amp is £1200 for a good reason :)

[quote name='thumbo' post='23816' date='Jun 26 2007, 11:20 PM']The Crush range are nothing like the valve amps, they're good though. I think the 35B sounds a lot better than the 20B because the 20B has what sounds like some kind of built in limiter that kicks in at relatively low volumes (some people might like this, I don't). They're simple, well built, sound pretty good and they're cheap. Don't expect them to sound anything like the AD200 though... that amp is £1200 for a good reason :)[/quote]

^ This

The 12" speaker isn't bad either, I personally find it much better than the Peavy Microbass I own (and we all know good they are), it produces a nice bit of volume and low end.

Minor side effect I have, it resonates nicely with certain items in my room at certain notes, which does make some horrid noises, but that's not the fault of the cab, that's mine for putting those items in the room.

High and Low inputs are a nice touch, EQ is well...functional, the extra line out is a nice touch as you can just wack a tuner in it.

Considering mine was £99 delivered from GAK the other year, it's good for that sort of money.