Why become a member? ×

Recommend some pedals!

mikebass84

I am currently using the Zoom B9.1ut multi effects pedal and I am really enjoying it but I am thinking about branching out into a small pedal board. I only really use OD/Fuzz/Distortion, Phaser, Chorus and a little bit of Wah but that's not really important.

So what pedals would you recommend? I don't want to be spending an absolute fortune so maybe something like £40-£60 per pedal

Many thanks in advance

Mike

Going by what you've said you use on the Zoom, I'd look at getting an [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]OD/Fuzz/Distortion, Phaser, Chorus and maybe a Wah. :)[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]What sort of dirt do you use on the Zoom? Get the actual pedal that you use the emulation of, same with the other pedals.[/font][/color] You'll struggle to get a good wah for £60 though.[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color]

the bass big muff is probably closest to the muff model, but none of the big muffs are very pricey. I would see if you can try the different models out in a local shop to find the one you like.

No idea which boss pedal that model is supposed to be, there are loads, but you're probably using a clean blend on that patch? Which make make it more complicated to replicate.

[quote name='mikebass84' timestamp='1383047518' post='2259435']
Yeah I have a clean blend with the OD chanel. I think it's modelled on the OD2 pedal but not totally sure without looking.
[/quote]

Yeh, so the OD2 doesn't have a clean blend built into it, you'd have to use a seperate blender pedal. The ODB3 is the only boss pedal I know has a clean blend, and this wouldn't do what you are after. I like the OD2 clean-blended on bass, great pedal, not sure what other pedals are our there which sound similar and already have a clean blend, sorry!

BTW, you can use your Zoom along with individual pedals. You're probably wisest to ge the dirt pedal first as multi units usually don't have anywhere as good a dirt as the boxes they emulate.
So you could put a Muff/XBD between your bass & the Zoom & as you get more pedals use the Zoom with the other pedals just for the FX that you rarely use.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1383053801' post='2259536']
BTW, you can use your Zoom along with individual pedals. You're probably wisest to ge the dirt pedal first as multi units usually don't have anywhere as good a dirt as the boxes they emulate.
So you could put a Muff/XBD between your bass & the Zoom & as you get more pedals use the Zoom with the other pedals just for the FX that you rarely use.
[/quote]
I was considering doing this. I like the chorus sounds I can get from the zoom but the drive chanel isn't enough

I used to have one of these - they're great pedals and this is a pretty great price too: [url="http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Electro-Harmonix-Little-Big-Muff-Pi-Pedal/EWW?origin=product-ads&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&utm_campaign=PLA+Electro-Harmonix&utm_content=5cnuRSqv|dc_pcrid_34026996439_plid__kword__match"]http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Electro-Harmonix-Little-Big-Muff-Pi-Pedal/EWW?origin=product-ads&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&utm_campaign=PLA+Electro-Harmonix&utm_content=5cnuRSqv|dc_pcrid_34026996439_plid__kword__match[/url]__

• 2 weeks later...

So I borrowed a Big Muff from a friend of mine as she no longer needs it and so far it's sounding pretty good.
I am running my signal chain Bass>Muff>Zoom>Amp. Would it be worth while running the pedal thru the effect loop on the zoom or is it better just before/after the zoom?

The good thing about running it in the FX loop is that you can run a clean signal aswell, and it also means you can choose to have the muff after some other effects (compressor for example). I like putting things like that in the FX loop of my zoom b9.1ut mainly for the clean mix blend.