Why become a member? ×

Combo Recommendations Please.

Fingerslikesausages

I have been gigging for just over a year, mainly pubs, with a [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Trace Elliot 2 x10 - GP12 SMX 300w Combo. [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]This is a second hand unit, which at the time was all I could afford.[/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]Have to say, I've never really got the measure of it, and the sound is not really what I want. We play 60's, Mod revival and a bit of Ska as a five piece with rhythm and lead guitars. We're quite loud and as I'm always stuck at the back in some tight spaces, the dynamic of this combo never cuts through. [/color][/font]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I am considering an Ashdown Electric Blue 15-220 Evo III Combo, which sits in my price range of around £350. Anybody got any comments on the unit, or recommendations for similar units which could give me more bang for my buck, or something that would come in a bit more commercially priced and still deliver.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Being quite new to this, I'm completely in the dark about Heads and Cabs, so haven't really thought of this as an alternative. Again any suggestions would be appreciated.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Thanks[/font][/color]

Personally I'd rate the Trace way above the Electric Blue. If you can't get the sound you want from an SMX pre amp you' definitely won't get it from the Ashdown IMO. Maybe describe what sound you're after and what you don't like about the Trace.

I had the same amp- and in the 90s used it for a ska band- was perfect for that. You are right in that its very heavy but can go blisteringly loud. Just really, really get to know the EQ and save your money. This amp will be all you need- forget the GAS, just take some time. At the very most get yourself a pedal like the VT Bass etc. What bass are you using- your sound will be more limited to this, your strings and most importantly your fingers. Most amps can sound just like any other in my experience ( well behind a drummer, guitar, keys, vox etc. You just need it to cut through.

I'd also rate the TE way above the EB, even if I never got a sound out of a TE that suited me. IMO TE is just better gear.

This is the problem with combos; if you don't like the amp you've got to sell the speakers as well. Two things: get away from a combo as soon as you can and/or get a trolley.

What's your budget? Used Hartke gear is a reasonable price, sounds good and is reliable.

The TC BG250 combo seems to get some good comments. A friend of mine has one and uses it very successfully for rehearsal and gigs - plenty loud enough he reckons. And it weighs in at something like 16kg.

TC have just released an updated range of BG combos, so the original BG250 I'm referring to may be on discount.

Best thing is to try some before you buy, if you can. Only you know what you need.

Cheers

Geoff

Read this:

[url="http://mail.foretold.nl/foretold/equipment/GP12SMX.pdf"]http://mail.foretold.nl/foretold/equipment/GP12SMX.pdf[/url]

It's very usefull for getting to know how trace gear works (especially the EQ and compressor) and may help you obtain better results from your amp. I would buy a Trace SMX over a Ashdown any day!

Cheers

I had the TE 4x10 combo. It was a loud combo, but didn't have the sound I wanted & weighed more than the car it went in.
I now have a Markbass 2x10 combo which is a lot louder, a lot lighter & most importantly, has the sound I want.
Downside... it was a good bit more than £350 (but worth every penny).

Whilst [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/212791-warwick-410pro-300w-rms-cab-with-profet-32-amp/"]Lurksalot's Warwick Rig[/url] may not be anywhere near you, it demonstrates the sheer amount and quality of rig you can find your budget.

I'd certainly recommend a decent 300-500W amp with a medium-large format cab like a decent 4x10" or a 2x12". If you have a look on here, gumtree or ebay and find something you think you like then feel free to ask us if it's any good.

How about my Roland D-bass 210 combo ?
I will be listing it in the for sale section very shorty.
Its a pro spec 400watt unit which can produce just about any tone you want & it is loud/punchy as hell,you will certainly be heard using this.
I have gigged it for just over 4 years & it has been brilliant,pretty light too plus it has quick release caster too,so it you are feeling lazy you can just wheel it around.
Yours for a paltry £250 including Roqsolid cover.
P.s. I would only sell through bssschat to make sure they get their fee :)

+1 for the TC BG250 combo.
I sold my Ashdown mag300 210 earlier this year, I just couldnt get the sound I wanted out of it no matter how i set the eq, gain, etc
Also i was pushing it to keep up with our mad drummer ( my brother - he only has one volume level on the drums - LOUD) and guitarists using 80 - 100 watt marshalls

I got myself a BG250 115 and it is the dogz bollox
easy loud enough although on paper it is only 250 watts and the ashdown was 300 watts
great tone, light and easy to set up and use. the toneprint works well although I leave mine on the duff mckagan chorus for when we play any GNR stuff
mine was a shade over £300 in the summer but I think they have gone up in price now and also have some other models 210, 212 etc

I would recommend taking your bass to the music shop and trying a few out till you find one you like

also +1 for the trace will be better than the ashdown too