Why become a member? ×

Which Budget 'Les Paul'? Recommendations?

discreet

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' timestamp='1383075452' post='2259962']
My recommendation would be "don't buy a Les Paul, because they're supremely uncomfortable". Looks like it's been overtaken by events though :P Still, it does look pretty...
[/quote]

Yes, I noticed there are no contours as such... good job I won't be gigging with it.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1383118371' post='2260276']
Contours are for wimps...
[/quote]

I'd love to see a GUS bass like yours without any contours. It actually could look awesome if the was no rounding on the metal :D

Those Vintage (brand) V100's are nice guitars and go for little money secondhand. You could go the Epi route. I really like the Les Paul Ultra III. The Zakk Wylde sig is also a really nice guitar. I've been using mine a lot lately.

Tokai looks like a good 'un. Getting a LP for the sound is a great reason... I can't think of many others though. :unsure: I had an 80's Custom a few years ago, and had to let it go after about 9 months of trying and failing to get on with it - fabulous sound as you'd expect, but it was heavy and awkward, and the upper fret access was truly awful - not to mention the pots that worked backwards! I was SO disappointed! :(

Still - I got my money back with a few quid on top when I came to sell it, so not all bad news. :)

Thanks guys. It has 'the sound' for sure, but it [i]is[/i] quite heavy and not as comfortable as a Strat. But I was expecting that.
Of more concern is that fact that the neck is way too short, it's got too many strings and it's hurting my fingers! :D ;)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1383246493' post='2262162']
Thanks guys. It has 'the sound' for sure, but it [i]is[/i] quite heavy and not as comfortable as a Strat. But I was expecting that.
Of more concern is that fact that the neck is way too short, it's got too many strings and it's hurting my fingers! :D ;)
[/quote]

Mark, keeping it just between us, that`s cos it`s a guitar :lol:

• 1 month later...

We supported Midge Ure last year and he went onstage with an "out of the box" Vintage V100, a Vox valvetronix amp and a Marshall blues breaker pedal oh yeah and a shed load of talent (and sadly a shed load of ego) He reckoned it was every bit as good as any of the genuine Les Paul's he owned.

Personally I have a Tokai ALS48 which it better than our guitarists genuine Les Paul but I did swap the pickups out for better ones as the originals lacked sparkle

• 2 weeks later...

Depending on what you all mean by cheap; an original Yamaha SG1000 (or 1500 or 2000 or 3000) are very good value for a guitar that really is consistently better than 98% of Gibson Les Pauls.
You can get a well-used and still-great '70s SG1000 for around £500 to £600, if you look hard and are patient.
They are virtually indestructible and sound incredible.

Dunno if theyre available anymore but Sheridan A250 is a killer Les paul custom level cheapie. Heres a demo of one : [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixGG_SzNB38[/media]

i bought one for £179 off ebay a year or so ago and it gets played more than my les paul custom that cost 12x the same amount! I think Westfield imported them and they can still be found here and there but reputation has caught up with them and they now go for about twice what i paid for mine. Heres an example (this is not a recommedation for the site but they were the only ones with stock i could find at the time) [url="http://www.drumandguitar.co.uk/products/122-Sheridan-Guitars/1003-Sheridan-A250-Black-Beauty/"]http://www.drumandgu...0-Black-Beauty/[/url] If you look at the youtube link above he shows the guitar to the camera at the end and you can see the guitar in a more close up way. In summary then, glad the OP has a Tokai but if anyone else is looking for an affordable CUSTOM type Les Paul, Do check out the Sheridan A 250 it punches phenomally above its weight.

Edited by basslondon

Some of the cheaper non-SD Blackout Les Paul copies are outrageously good for the money.

http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/guitars/electric_guitars/charvel.asp?index=0&ord=1

Know the OP is sorted but it's always good to add to the database!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1383246493' post='2262162']
[/quote]

Jeez, I hear you. Every time I give guitar a go, I do it for six months and then get fed up with sore fingers and feeling like I'm playing with a toy guitar. This time I WILL stick to it!

[quote name='merello' timestamp='1388687158' post='2324871']
Some of the cheaper non-SD Blackout Les Paul copies are outrageously good for the money.

[url="http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/guitars/electric_guitars/charvel.asp?index=0&ord=1"]http://www.richtonem...p?index=0&ord=1[/url]

Know the OP is sorted but it's always good to add to the database!
[/quote]

In the spirit of adding to the database, I had an ESP KH-203 that was great, cost about £250 off ebay too. But with no contours it was bloody uncomfortable - are all LPs contourless?!

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1386530499' post='2301133']
We supported Midge Ure last year and he went onstage with an "out of the box" Vintage V100, a Vox valvetronix amp and a Marshall blues breaker pedal oh yeah and a shed load of talent (and sadly a shed load of ego) He reckoned it was every bit as good as any of the genuine Les Paul's he owned.
[/quote]

Was going to mention this - I saw him in one of those 80s revues last year with the V100 & Valvetronix - sounded great out front.