Why become a member? ×

Which Budget 'Les Paul'? Recommendations?

discreet

[b]Which Budget 'Les Paul'? Recommendations?[/b]

Did a quick search but couldn't find specific info on this - sorry if it has been covered...

I need a guitar for a recording project requiring 'that' humbucker sound, so I'm thinking LP. So I don't have to spend forevever on t'internet browsing through the no doubt hundreds of options, can anyone recommend a budget LP that has 'the sound' and is actually playable? I don't want to spend more than a couple of hundred, if possible.

Doesn't have to be a Les Paul if it sounds right, by the way.

I thank you! :)

I can help!

Check THIS out:

[IMG]http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e256/Moos3h/null_zpsf1ba7924.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e256/Moos3h/null_zps087a063a.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e256/Moos3h/null_zps84c5ebdf.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e256/Moos3h/null_zps12b0bf95.jpg[/IMG]

Tokai Les Paul - just had a setup and restring and sounds and plays every bit as good as the 'real thing'

It is for sale and I'll do the classified listing now :)

Cheers,
James

Can`t make a better recommendation than a Tokai Les Paul. Many Les Paul players use their Tokais as the main axe and their Gibsons as backups, not cause they don`t want to damage a 2 grand Gibbo, but cause they prefer the Tokai.

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1382909520' post='2257996']
Years ago, I had a hondo2 . I was looking on eBay recently and they are highly respected 'lawsuit' axes apparently.
[/quote]

Unfortunately there are two different types of Hondo II. A few are very nice indeed, but most are the worst kind of cheap far-eastern firewood.

[quote name='Ancient Mariner' timestamp='1382971962' post='2258615']
I like my Tokai very much - one of the best Les Pauls I've played anywhere at any price.
[/quote]

Well that's good to know -thanks - as I'm buying James' white Tokai 'Love Rock' (above). :gas:

[quote name='Ancient Mariner' timestamp='1382971962' post='2258615']
I like my Tokai very much - one of the best Les Pauls I've played anywhere at any price.
[/quote]

Ditto. I had an '80s Love Rock that was fantastic. It's with a guitarist mate now, who much prefers it to his Gibson.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1382963506' post='2258441']
Unfortunately there are two different types of Hondo II. A few are very nice indeed, but most are the worst kind of cheap far-eastern firewood.
[/quote]
Quite so. I had one of the "nice" ones - solid timber body, carved top, set neck, etc but most of them are nasty plywood Korean unpleasantness, from the era when Korean guitars were really not very good at all.

Good choice with the Tokai Discreet - looks gorgeous in the pics & you can't go far wrong with Tokais.

Jon.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1382963506' post='2258441']
[/quote]

This, my first guitar was a Hondo Les Paul copy and it was terrible.

My money would go on a Gordon Smith, I have a GS2 and it's great.

Unfortunately not all Tokais are quite so wonderful these days. Since they started outsourcing some manufacturing in places other than Japan the quality hasn't always been up to the classic Japanese instruments that made the Tokai name.

I've seen some Tokai instruments that are little more than generic copies that just happen to have a Tokai logo on them. IMO they are doing little for Tokai's reputation.

A new MIJ Love Rock will cost you somewhere between £1000 and £3000...

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1383038722' post='2259283']
Nice six stringer Mr discreet :) even though you have turned to the dark side lol
[/quote]

Thanks, but I haven't really... just meddling with forces I do not understand. :)

[quote name='oggiesnr' timestamp='1383044215' post='2259357']
I'm wondering just what the definition of "budget" is :)
[/quote]

In this case a couple of hundred quid.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1383056753' post='2259598']
Thanks, but I haven't really... just meddling with forces I do not understand. :)

In this case a couple of hundred quid.
[/quote] Phew forces you do not understand can be dangerous I heard that playing a 6 string can unleash all kinds of demons its a bit like the Necronomicon in the Evil Dead........Just be careful mate lol :)