Why become a member? ×

KGB "Status Series II" Replica

steve-soar

This is my KGB Status replica, made for me in 1986 by Keith Bennion of KGB Musical Instruments, Birkenhead.

Back in the early 80's, when Rob Green released his Status basses and guitars, the impact that these instruments had on people was amazing.

Steinberger had already released their carbon-composite basses but they were IMO totally blown away by the beautiful, bass shaped designs of Status.

Being a Level 42 fan, 20 years old and unaware that I was suffering from G.A.S. (which has become a lifetime condition), I contacted Green Machine Technology and enquired about getting a bass built.

End of story.

They didn't build them in left hand, as the moulds were too expensive to produce.
I was gutted.

So I went to KGB and asked Keith if he could build me a copy. The only dimensions we had that were 100% accurate were the scale length and a review that had stated the overall length of the bass, oh and a few photos.

After deciding on the best woods to emulate the graphite neck and the sound that it gave, we decided on a two piece Canadian Hard Rock maple through neck, with the blackest piece of Ebony I have ever seen for the fingerboard.
The body was to be Hondo mahogany and the facing was the now ultra rare Brazilian rosewood.
ABM and custom hardware and a change of pickups, from Kent Armstrong to EMG's, with a Kent Armstrong 18v active eq.

Anyway, here are some photos of the bass during the stripping back of the black finish I had Keith put over all of that beautiful wood, back in 1992 (I thought it would look cool-what a dick).
I used Nitrmorse and sanded it back through the grades to give to Keith for a respray.

The bass is at KGB having the work done, which includes the respray, routing for an East U Retro and a part refret.

I'll post some more when the bass has been put back together.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='224653' date='Jun 23 2008, 12:32 AM']Memrees, like the co....[/quote]

Memrees indeed, I met Keith in the 80s a few times. I think he routed one of my basses or an extra P pickup and he used a Select P for a template. Went back as it didn't fit the EMG and it was then when we discovered that they weren't the same size. Did the adjustments FOC.

Top bloke.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='228857' date='Jun 29 2008, 08:10 AM']That's come out really nice! Apart from the odd spacing of the controls & no graphite neck/body strip on show, you could mistake it for the real thing![/quote]Cheers. Yeah, the control spacing I didn't notice that for a while and we even thought of spraying the centre black when it was being built but I wanted it to still be its own bass and the maple is lovely.
It cost me £600, I use to pay £25 every Friday evening after work and Keith would show me what he had done.
It took almost a year to build but if I'd have waited 15 years I could have had a real Status when they finally started making lefties.
The next bass on my list is a King Bass. :)
Tell me O.T.P.J. has the neck profile changed between the Series II and S2 Classic and is the King Bass different again?

[quote name='steve-soar' post='229005' date='Jun 29 2008, 01:51 PM']Cheers. Yeah, the control spacing I didn't notice that for a while and we even thought of spraying the centre black when it was being built but I wanted it to still be its own bass and the maple is lovely.
It cost me £600, I use to pay £25 every Friday evening after work and Keith would show me what he had done.
It took almost a year to build but if I'd have waited 15 years I could have had a real Status when they finally started making lefties.
The next bass on my list is a King Bass. :)
Tell me O.T.P.J. has the neck profile changed between the Series II and S2 Classic and is the King Bass different again?[/quote]

You know what? I like this body more that the real Status, you have a great bass mate and hope you enjoy it more than I'm enjoying it's looks.

Keep the lows mate.

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='230478' date='Jul 1 2008, 01:04 PM']Beautiful looking bass Steve.

I was a big Mark King fan, and always wanted a Status series 2, I remember when they first came out.

A 6 string kingbass is on my list, hopefully later in the year.[/quote]Hi Kev thanks mate, I was a fan too but as you listen to other bassists, and more importantly listen to what is music, you realise that your super hero was "only human after all" :huh:
You're getting a King Bass? and the other one?

[quote name='Merton' post='230491' date='Jul 1 2008, 01:23 PM']Steve, that is gorgeous![/quote]Cheers Merton. I've put those silly skinny wires on it and I'm having a good time with it. (How did I use to use 30-90's?) :)

Edited by steve-soar