Why become a member? ×

Hofner Verithin bass badge in silver

ShergoldSnickers

Slightly unusual bass build this one. To say the least. I'm doing a Hofner Verithin badge in sterling silver for Dad3353 (Douglas), as he won the competition I set up on BC here a few weeks back.

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/218405-bass-guitar-badges-in-silver-or-gold-metal/page__view__findpost__p__2226938

After getting a suitable outine, this is taped (double sided) onto a sheet if 1mm thick sterling silver, and cut out by hand using a jeweller's saw. The excess all round is filed, and the next step will be to get all saw and file marks eliminated with varying grades of emery, getting finer and finer with each pass.

The silver is protected by a removable film of blue adhesive polythene — no reason to take this off yet. And after a little sawing:

A little extra is allowed for filing to a smooth profile.

And sawn:

And after some filing:

[quote name='blablas' timestamp='1382800995' post='2256718']
I like this kind of weird build diaries. :biggrin:
[/quote]

Weird..? The Verithin, or the Bass Metal Badge..? Seems a perfectly respectable occupation to me (...[i]but then, I would say that, wouldn't I..?[/i] :lol: ).

Faster, Snicks, faster. Patience is not my middle name..! :mellow:

You're lucky I don't play a 500/5, though, or you'd need an ingot..! Be warned; these instruments are slightly convex ('bellied'; think Les Paul top...). She's looking fine already. Put your orders in now, folks, to be in time for Christmas. Just think of the prestige. Hand-made to match your custom bass..! What better way to reconcile SWMBO to your favourite occupation..? It's working for me so far, anyhow..! :ph34r:
Faster, Snicks, faster..! :gas:

[quote name='ShergoldSnickers' timestamp='1382803546' post='2256763']
Put the lash down Douglas... and why does that big beefy chap keep beating that enormous drum? :unsure: :ph34r:
[/quote]

Sorry, Snicks; you see, I saw this film recently and ...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Cxf365YqWA[/media]

:yarr:

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1384181156' post='2273608']
Once finished, will this tend to tarnish?
[/quote]

If left in a chest of drawers for a long time it could, but worn reasonably regularly it should be absolutely fine. An alternative would be to lacquer it. I have one that was made over a year ago now and it's not got the slightest hint of tarnish, and still looks lovely and shiny. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Class, Snicks, sheer class..! Quel talent..! It's going to be a second Christmas when this comes through. The closer it gets, the more the waiting seems interminable. Can you not hear the tap, tap, tapping of feet, the drumming of fingers..? Roll on 2014... :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

[quote name='ShergoldSnickers' timestamp='1392391866' post='2368131']
Completed and delivered to Douglas in France. :)

[/quote]

... and gratefully received..! Magnificent..! A unique object, hand-made and fit for a king. I attend few functions these days that would warrant such attire, but it will take pride of place in my (admittedly limited, being the one and only piece..!) jewelry collection. I'll see if I can come up with a photo or two in the coming days to show it off along with my BC polo; be prepared for a shock. No, I shan't wait for fine weather for an outdoor shot. :mellow:
Thanks again, Snicks, and wishing on-going success for the aptly-named "Bass Metal Company".

[URL=http://www.smileyvault.com/][IMG]http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/CBSA/smileyvault-cute-big-smiley-animated-041.gif[/IMG][/URL]