Why become a member? ×

Strings that didn't impress you.

Dom in Dorset

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1382809579' post='2256869']

Re. buying Rotosound strings back in the day , how soon we forget in these days of the internet and the instant global exchange of information what things were like back in the olden days . If you wanted some new strings for your bass you went to the shop and asked for bass strings . A man with a beard muttered something about " these are alright" and you gave him some money , he handed you the packet of strings ( usually Rotosound) and took them home on the bus . There was no discussion about what you wanted , liked , didn't like ect. You then used the strings until they broke or wore out . Kids nowadays have no idea . And there was only three channels on T.V and on Sunday it was mainly religious programmes .

How have you been going on with those Cobalts , Dr T? I didn't like what I perceived to be a slightly higher tension , and I thought the sound was perfectly O.K , but no better than say a regular set of EB's or similar . In terms of performance , I can't see how they justify the price . I think they feel a lot like stainless steel under the fingers , too (that's not a criticism, just an observation.)
[/quote]

The other thing about back then was you bought the bass in the shop - I'd never have dared ask anyone to order anything!! And a lot didn't get sold with cases. I did know of someone who ordered a left handed pre EB Ray however - probably the only way you'd ever see one!! Perhaps that's why non mainstream colours are so rare in this country?

Re Cobalts Dingus, they really did work a treat on my Classic Ray - that upper mid boost was really useful and the lack of new string zing was also good. Extremely loud as well. I've had a set on a Bongo 5 for nearly two years now and they're still fine. Not sure on tension but if they have more it's very marginal. You're right that they feel different from nickel rounds - I thought they felt a little bit different - not as harsh as stainless though.

I would still pay the extra - not something I would do with the Roto flats again!! They were quite expensive also!!

I found out that MM changed the string spec on new Rays about 78 - going from flats to rounds. As a total devotee of Bernard Edwards who famously used a 77 Ray I put Thomastiks on my Classic - phenominal sound and it is still possible by boosting the treble to get a nice slap tone if you need it - think popping that sounds like Bernard Edwards on We Are Family. I've never been able to achieve that before but it's flatwounds, it appears.

Edited by drTStingray

Of all of the strings I've tried over the years, there are only two types that came straight off my bass again:

Rotosound Solo pressure wounds - bought on the grounds that they are supposed to be smooth yet bright, but they were just as lumpy as rounds
Elites Rounds - totally uninspiring

Rotosound Swing were ok enough to stay on the bass, but not enough to buy another set once spent

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1382874760' post='2257371']
The other thing about back then was you bought the bass in the shop - I'd never have dared ask anyone to order anything!! And a lot didn't get sold with cases. I did know of someone who ordered a left handed pre EB Ray however - probably the only way you'd ever see one!! Perhaps that's why non mainstream colours are so rare in this country?

Re Cobalts Dingus, they really did work a treat on my Classic Ray - that upper mid boost was really useful and the lack of new string zing was also good. Extremely loud as well. I've had a set on a Bongo 5 for nearly two years now and they're still fine. Not sure on tension but if they have more it's very marginal. You're right that they feel different from nickel rounds - I thought they felt a little bit different - not as harsh as stainless though.

I would still pay the extra - not something I would do with the Roto flats again!! They were quite expensive also!!

I found out that MM changed the string spec on new Rays about 78 - going from flats to rounds. As a total devotee of Bernard Edwards who famously used a 77 Ray I put Thomastiks on my Classic - phenominal sound and it is still possible by boosting the treble to get a nice slap tone if you need it - think popping that sounds like Bernard Edwards on We Are Family. I've never been able to achieve that before but it's flatwounds, it appears.
[/quote]

Yes! You went to the local shop and looked at what they had in terms of basses and chose from them . We were lucky that there were three shops in town that sold decent quality basses , but I still remember vividly the first time I ever went to the Bass Centre at Wapping and they had such a selection of sumptuous high-end basses that I had previously only ever seen on T.V or in magazines that I was almost overwhelmed . It was literally like being transported to some kind of bass guitar heaven . Back in those days they had the most amazing stock of any shop in the World , and they even had loads of different brands of strings to choose from ( but they always tried to flog you Elites) . Even now , I wish I could recapture the thrill of visiting that shop in its' heyday back in the 1980's . I think ordering basses ( and wider choice of strings) is a symptom of the increased amount of information consumers have nowadays and the creation of far more specific demand . The internet has been instrumental in that , no doubt . No one ever bothered about what basses weighed in those days either . If it was heavy , that was just another sign of quality.

I can certainly see how some folks would take to Cobalts , but for me , like so many other more expensive strings, they were decent but not outstanding and I would be more inclined to buy two sets of ordinary EB'S than one set of Coblats , but that is with the caveat that, of course, that taste in strings is a highly subjective and personal thing. I like EB strings on a Music Man bass just fine, for example , but I'm not that keen on them on anything else I've tried them on .

I've been toying with the idea of putting some flats on a bass recently , and the thought had crossed my mind that , instead of putting them on a Precision like most folks seem to I might put them on my Reflex to get that '70's Bernard Edwards -like thump . The idea is quite appealing and I may well explore that in the near future. Am I right in thinking that those Thomastics put far less tension on the neck that regular flats?

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1382791697' post='2256596']
I think Rotosound are great-sounding strings , but it's just everything else that goes with them that puts me off . The actual tone fresh out of the packet is fabulous , but ... we all know it doesn't last long enough and the fret wear is frightening .
I used to like Elites Stadium Series , but I'm sure that they aren't the same as they used to be because they seem to die off much quicker and don't sound as good as they used to . Back in the 1990's they used to last for ages and sound great, but now they sound so-so and die off quickly.
[/quote]
I have found this to be very accurate from my experience too.

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1382882361' post='2257496']
I have found this to be very accurate from my experience too.
[/quote]

Imagine if Rotosound developed a string that sounded like the classic RS 66 but consistantly had a decent life and didn't eat your frets . That would be worth paying for , and it would sell truckloads if Rotosound marketed it properly . It's long overdue for Rotosound to put in some research and development to try and catch up with the competition and modernise their designs.

Edited by Dingus

I've found that the trick with Rotosound roundwounds is not to buy them from a shop where they may have been sitting for quite some time on the display rack and already gone off in the packet, but to get from direct from Rotosound themselves at trade shows where they will normally be brand new off the production line.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1382881672' post='2257483']

Yes! You went to the local shop and looked at what they had in terms of basses and chose from them . We were lucky that there were three shops in town that sold decent quality basses , but I still remember vividly the first time I ever went to the Bass Centre at Wapping and they had such a selection of sumptuous high-end basses that I had previously only ever seen on T.V or in magazines that I was almost overwhelmed . It was literally like being transported to some kind of bass guitar heaven . Back in those days they had the most amazing stock of any shop in the World , and they even had loads of different brands of strings to choose from ( but they always tried to flog you Elites) . Even now , I wish I could recapture the thrill of visiting that shop in its' heyday back in the 1980's . I think ordering basses ( and wider choice of strings) is a symptom of the increased amount of information consumers have nowadays and the creation of far more specific demand . The internet has been instrumental in that , no doubt . No one ever bothered about what basses weighed in those days either . If it was heavy , that was just another sign of quality.

I can certainly see how some folks would take to Cobalts , but for me , like so many other more expensive strings, they were decent but not outstanding and I would be more inclined to buy two sets of ordinary EB'S than one set of Coblats , but that is with the caveat that, of course, that taste in strings is a highly subjective and personal thing. I like EB strings on a Music Man bass just fine, for example , but I'm not that keen on them on anything else I've tried them on .

I've been toying with the idea of putting some flats on a bass recently , and the thought had crossed my mind that , instead of putting them on a Precision like most folks seem to I might put them on my Reflex to get that '70's Bernard Edwards -like thump . The idea is quite appealing and I may well explore that in the near future. Am I right in thinking that those Thomastics put far less tension on the neck that regular flats?
[/quote]

I remember going to an embryonic version of the bass centre in Romford - fantastic as you say - they had a wall of Trace Elliott stacks/combos. My Ray came from one of five or so shops in Birmingham - I had a choice of that one or one at another shop - both were sunburst when the go to was natural - still I was happy enough with it!

I'd say the Thomastik flats are on a par, tension wise with EB group 3s. Both are virtually the same as standard guage roundwounds in that
context. They are quite pricey but I love the tone. The group 3s are also v good though - still get bags of mwah from the 3 band fretless with them.

I think flats on a Reflex would be great - they certainly are on a Ray and I've heard they are on a Bongo.

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1382890662' post='2257613']
I remember going to an embryonic version of the bass centre in Romford - fantastic as you say - they had a wall of Trace Elliott stacks/combos. My Ray came from one of five or so shops in Birmingham - I had a choice of that one or one at another shop - both were sunburst when the go to was natural - still I was happy enough with it!

I'd say the Thomastik flats are on a par, tension wise with EB group 3s. Both are virtually the same as standard guage roundwounds in that
context. They are quite pricey but I love the tone. The group 3s are also v good though - still get bags of mwah from the 3 band fretless with them.

I think flats on a Reflex would be great - they certainly are on a Ray and I've heard they are on a Bongo.
[/quote]

That shop in Romford must have been Soundwave . I never went there , but I remember perusing their advert amongst the gear reviews in the back pages of Sounds magazine and wishing that I could go there and buy all sorts of things that were beyond my pocket . They had things like Steinbergers that were brand new in those days and cost the astronomical sum of £999 . In 1982 that was [u][i]a lot [/i][/u]of money for most people .

The Thomastics sound like a good bet , but I will look at the available gauges in the Group 3's , too .

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1382887860' post='2257581']
I've found that the trick with Rotosound roundwounds is not to buy them from a shop where they may have been sitting for quite some time on the display rack and already gone off in the packet, but to get from direct from Rotosound themselves at trade shows where they will normally be brand new off the production line.
[/quote]
I'd still rather spend the money on pick and mix sweets or something if I was at a trade show, just order some proper strings online when you get home :D

I'm not a fan of any stainless roundwound, but the strings that I was least impressed with were Rotosound Jazz Bass 77's. The worst thing about these strings was the fact that I really wanted to like them. The monel alloy is singly the best ever feel for a string that I've ever come across. It just feels lovely and soft, almost alive. They have a great sound, but the let down is the monumentally tight tension they have. I really tried to live with them, but it was impossible. I had them on my slim necked TBird and the tension kept making me think they were going to snap the bass in two.

It's a real shame, because if Roto could make a low tension flat wound monel string, I'd be right on them and let the La Bellas go.

Worst strings I ever tried were DR Neons. I really wanted to like them since I simply loved the looks. Problem was they sounded extremely dull, muffled, lifeless etc. Like completely dead strings fresh out of the box, with a strange and sticky rubber-like feeling as a bonus. :mellow:
Pretty much the same experience with Black Devils, but with less stickyness. More like plastic instead of rubber...

All uncoated strings I've ever used (and that's a lot) disappointed me in terms of life span.

I somehow always come back to Elixirs, especially since the coating was altered and there is no more flaking and the slippery feel is pretty much gone. The Stainless Steels are my new go-to strings, very impressed by those!

yea. recent Elixirs are WAY better than the old ones.... very good strings for sure. I've used them happily.

I loved rotos when I was 14.... hate them when I'm 44. way too rough. always hi beams (or fat beams, same thing imho) or sunbeams (for more mids, less sizzle) for me. for cheap d'addario XLs are a close replacement compromise between those two models.

used fender flats once.... couldn't shift out of first gear.

used EB slinky styles a few times.... always hated their feel and lack of longevity. They make great guitar strings though.

[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1382989876' post='2258913']
Nice to know I'm not the only one that hates Rotosound...
Actually I thought Fender and D'Addario nickels were the same strings? I use both types and can't say I've noticed a difference?
[/quote]

interesting! I wouldn't be surprised to find that fender doesn't actually make their own strings ... rebadged d'addarios are much more likely.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1382695626' post='2255476']
I fancied trying something different on one of my P basses and had an amazon voucher, so I've just ordered a set of D'addario Pro Steels. Cost about £15 with postage.
[/quote]

I too just ordered a set of Prosteels for my P bass.

For me, Dr Lo Riders and Rotosounds disappointed me. Good sound but just too rough for my fingers. Horrible for doing slidy / bendy / vibrato stuff, felt like sandpaper. The Rotos deadened pretty fast, the DRs lasted a good while, at least. I'm all about steels that DON'T kill your fingers and knacker your ability, personally. But I do have thin fingers, they're probably better for blokes with proper beefy mits.

Edited by rhythmbug

Before I became a flats afficionado, and Rotos were getting on my teats for being ropey, I tried DR Fat Beams on my P which I liked very much - for a roundwound string. When new, they sound like the lower strings of a piano especially when played with a pick, but quickly settle down to a very nice thump - but with a fair amount of harmonic content. If I hadn't discovered flats I would still be using them for sure. High quality and well-made.

[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1383068751' post='2259841']
They both have the individually coloured ball ends to identify each string.
[/quote]
The colour coding is different and Fenders are lower tension. If D'Adario make Fender strings they use a different recipe.
I also thought the Fenders I tried were awful, not a patch o D'Adario.

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' timestamp='1383161913' post='2261089']
The colour coding is different and Fenders are lower tension. If D'Adario make Fender strings they use a different recipe.
I also thought the Fenders I tried were awful, not a patch o D'Adario.
[/quote]
Fender strings are made by D'Addario, but Fender strings are not merely repackaged D'Addarios, i.e. Fender flats are not Chromes.