Why become a member? ×

Skype Lessons

ubassman

I have lessons via Skype because I live in the depths of northern Scotland. It works out well for me as travelling to a tutor would take ages. If I'm struggling with bow holds or whatever, I sometimes move the camera around so my tutor can see (must be a bit weird at her end I guess). I've had a couple of lessons in person as well when I've been passing through London and that's been useful too and has made the Skype lessons more effective. I think you just need to be a bit more patient with it as sometimes it takes a bit longer to explain what your question / problem is.

The other thing I've found is that Skype can be quite slow in the evenings and is better in the mornings - I don't know why that is.

So, I think the best way is to have one or two lessons in person if possible, so you can figure out what your major issues are, then use Skype.

Tamsin

[quote name='Tamsin' timestamp='1382624737' post='2254583']
I have lessons via Skype because I live in the depths of northern Scotland. It works out well for me as travelling to a tutor would take ages. If I'm struggling with bow holds or whatever, I sometimes move the camera around so my tutor can see (must be a bit weird at her end I guess). I've had a couple of lessons in person as well when I've been passing through London and that's been useful too and has made the Skype lessons more effective. I think you just need to be a bit more patient with it as sometimes it takes a bit longer to explain what your question / problem is.

The other thing I've found is that Skype can be quite slow in the evenings and is better in the mornings - I don't know why that is.

So, I think the best way is to have one or two lessons in person if possible, so you can figure out what your major issues are, then use Skype.

Tamsin
[/quote]

Welcome to BC Tamsin ! Out of interest does your tutor in London use Skype with you (may be useful for others to know if there are Skype tutors out there who they are and where they are based )?

No we sit there for hours and it's very hands on... But haven't studied with Tom but my tutor is a recent graduate of royal academy and recently joint the bass section of
London Philharmonia. He's a friend Aswell as he teaches me too. He's to busy to teach but only does it cos I'm commited and wanting to go to the academy too.. So yeah worth a try I do enjoy tons Bottesini albums!

Thanks for the welcome ubassman! Sorry, probably should've been clearer - its the same tutor via Skype and the lessons in London - we mostly do Skype lessons, as I'm not in London very much, but it's been helpful to have a couple of in person lessons when I can.

I found a tutor through this site: http://www.thetutorpages.com/tutors/classical-double-bass-teachers/classical-double-bass-lessons/230

It lists ones who are able to do Skype lessons and gives a bit of info about each person. I picked the one who mentioned the most orchestral stuff (Vera Pereira) as that's mostly what I play. I emailed a couple of folk and Vera seemed the most helpful, then we did a trial lesson for free. I'd say its worked out pretty well, although I do feel sorry for her when she's listening through headphones - must be ghastly having all my dodgy intonation being beamed straight into your head!!

I currently have Skype lessons with American saxophonist Bill McHenry. I've also had one off lessons with various folks who it wouldn't be easy to meet in person.

I have also benefitted enormously with face-to-face lessons for many years. I don't think it would have been easy to pick up the fundamental aspects of playing from a skype call. You really need someone there to observe you in detail. But then again, I've only ever had skype lessons recently and my lessons tend to be more concept driven than demonstration driven.

I teach in school and learning suffers a lot from lack of contact time, the problems stemming from having to meet the needs of everyone all in a short space of time are probably more of a problem than physical distance. So perhaps skype lessons with a more experienced tutor would be more beneficial than face-to-face with a less proficient teacher.

I can also vouch for Thomas Martin as a teacher, though since I don't live too far away from him I chose to have lessons in person. He's probably great for adult learners who don't have much experience with the instrument but are keen to learn. As far as classical technique goes I'm more in the beginner camp and I found him a very accomodating teacher, but also one who challenges students without overloading them.

[quote name='mtroun' timestamp='1382722416' post='2256008']
I currently have Skype lessons with American saxophonist Bill McHenry. I've also had one off lessons with various folks who it wouldn't be easy to meet in person.

[/quote]

Thats brilliant Mark ! impressive stuff - love that way technology can leap over the pond like that !