Why become a member? ×

Vintage v52 or Squier classic vibe tele

Greggo

As above anyone got any experience of either the above teles?

The Vintage v52 is much cheaper by about £100and has the much praised Wilkinson hardware on.

But then the CV series by Squier, certainly in regards of their basses, get much love so I'm thinking this must ring true of guitars also.

They both seem similarly matched in a lot of ways except price. I have guitars to sell but would probably only raise enough for Vintage alone, would have to fork out a bit for CV but whether it's worth it would be interested in opinions either way.

Thanks

Edited by Greggo

I played a Squier CV in a music shop today and it feels well built, nice fretwork and played really well (and importantly soudned like a tele should).

I dont know of anywhere that has a Vintage v52 to play, so that would have likely been a risky online order.

Im thinking the Squier may be worthwhile definiitely. Got a few guitars to part ex in, will re-visit monday to see what the craic is

I've got a Vintage bass and that's very well made but because it was stingray copy it didn't sound much like one because of cheap stock preamp.

I imagine there guitars are better though because Trevor Wilkinson is a guitarist by trade anyway I believe.

When I played it on Friday it did look feel and sound the part! My mate has an MIJ tele and quality wise was in par with definitely. The vintage is cheaper though but the set up could potentially be awful but then that's not a massive issue.

I'd take the CV anytime... I played one at PMT whilst amp shopping, It sounded stunning through a super champ x2 and felt great to play.

We had a Vintage LP goldtop in the house a while back - good guitar and P90 sound but not in the same league as the CV.

[quote name='OldG' timestamp='1382855905' post='2257171']
I'd take the CV anytime... I played one at PMT whilst amp shopping, It sounded stunning through a super champ x2 and felt great to play.
[/quote]
Sorry for hijacking the thread a bit but what did you think of the X2? A friend of mine is looking at a new amp mainly for home use and I reckon one of these fits his bill perfectly (he's also looking at a Vox VT4 but I think the Fender is the better bet albeit £11 more).

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1382866177' post='2257254']
Sorry for hijacking the thread a bit but what did you think of the X2? A friend of mine is looking at a new amp mainly for home use and I reckon one of these fits his bill perfectly (he's also looking at a Vox VT4 but I think the Fender is the better bet albeit £11 more).
[/quote]

Ok, I was looking for something that made an MIA strat and a MIJ tele sound fantastic - and give that 'joy to play' feel back from the amp...

The X2 absolutely blew me away with it's beautiful 6v6 fender sound - it has a12ax7 valve in the pre to warm up the amp modelling and 2x 6v6's giving 15w AB valve power....

If I googled correctly, the Vox is SS with a only 12ax7 in the preamp and 40w SS power - I didn't try one,tbh - the SS poweramp crossed it off my list

[quote name='OldG' timestamp='1382871043' post='2257302']

The X2 absolutely blew me away with it's beautiful 6v6 fender sound - it has a12ax7 valve in the pre to warm up the amp modelling and 2x 6v6's giving 15w AB valve power....

[/quote]
Thanks for that, nicely done sir.

As you were everyone, back OT :)

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1382887814' post='2257578']
I played a Vintage reliced strat a while back, the frets could have been finished better, felt a bit scratchy.
[/quote]

Scratchy frets are always a pain on lower end instruments. It's just one more thing that needs to be sorted out stopping you from just enjoying playing it.

The Squier CV frets were spot on.

• 3 weeks later...

I have had both.
I have had several Vintage guitars and basses, including the V52. Good guitars for the money, although the fret ends on all of them needed a bit smoothing. The hardware is good but the pickups could do with changing and Wilkinson make a higher quality alnico pickup for the 52 tele which is excellent, only around £25 and well worth it. Still makes it significantly cheaper than the squier but somehow I never held onto them very long and the resale value is a bit naff.
The Classic Vibe Squier was excellent straight out of the box, maybe only the quality of the pots let it down which got a bit scratchy after a couple of months, and I wasn't keen on the super thick gloss finish, but otherwise hard to fault and hits above its weight.
I would say, try to get a CV tele used for around the price of a new Vintage and you have a winner.

• 5 weeks later...

This GAS is still present,but I think the Squier CV is the way to go. Not played a V52 still but have read that a lot of people were not happy with the fret finishing on Vintages. (I have a Vintage bass that has a few nasty fret ends).

I'm working on selling/trading a few guitars / basses to try get one, although market is pretty slow. I should pay the subs really and try flogging on here!