Why become a member? ×

Cheap loud amp...almost zero budget!!

Jamesemt

After a few years away I'm starting to develop the desire to play again. Problem is that I sold my amp and cabs...and I'm looking to gig again.
I amassed quite a lot of nice basses which have slowly been sold off leaving me with a few including my Sadowsky which I would never part with. This just leaves me needing an amp but I'm not flush for cash anymore.
I'll be looking at going into a twin guitar setup playing hard rock stuff - Velvet Revolver type music. From previous experience I know I need loads of power and I've a dodgy back so Peavey stuff is out. Throughout my previous bass life I could never get my head around some high powered amps being quiet (PF500) so I understand I can't go on solely wattage alone.

Best sounding previous setup was Genz Benz Shuttle 312 with a 2x10 extension cab but I feel I was missing something and would possibly like to try 15s.

Budget wise, absolute maximum of £300 but closer to £200. If I wait til the new year I could possibly turn that into £500...Any ideas? As you can probably gather from my last rig I hate weight, which I reckon is going to be my biggest problem.

Edited by Jamesemt

[quote name='Bolo' timestamp='1382570293' post='2253941'] .... it's usually two out of three when it comes to loud, lightweight, low price. [/quote]

+1

A small light amp should be attainable for £300. Go used, and a GK MB500 will be perfect, for example. Loud as hell. Or a Markbass LMII or III.

Cabs will be a bigger problem, where the loud/light/cheap triad is the most obvious. Sounds like your main problem will be getting the speaker area to cope with high volume, as I'm guessing you won't be able to afford the newer high displacement speaker-loaded cabs like Barefaced etc.

Ah, I was assuming that the budget for an "amp" meant "amp" not "amp and cab, or combo".

I'd say that neither the Genz contour amp or TC BG combos have a hope of coping with a loud 2 guitar hard rock band, which is what the OP has given us the impression is his new playing environment. And I'm assuming here that you will have no PA support for your bass. If you only need stage monitoring and your bass will be going through FoH, that's a whole new kettle of fish, and a Genz COntour combo or TC BG combo might be fine for that.

My suggestion of an MB500 stands for £200-£300 loud, light amp. Now, if you're wanting cabs to go in that budget too, you are wasting your time. Start saving or sell your Sadowsky.

Edited by hamfist

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Jamesemt' timestamp='1382559066' post='2253760'] I've a dodgy back so Peavey stuff is out. [/quote]
[quote name='thunderider' timestamp='1384004712' post='2271779']ebay.....80s peaveys...very cheap very loud...[/quote]

:rolleyes:

In terms of "bang for your buck", amp-wise- a second-hand Hartke LH500 would fit the bill perfectly. Even new they are around £250 :o Very loud but also very clear.

Getting a loud cab that is light? That is a real problem. What do you call "light"? Neodymium drivers do not come cheap (although some are cheaper than others).

As Hamfist said, try to sell some of your other gear (or maybe look for trades - your bass for someone else's neo cab) and get your budget up closer to £400 for a cab. That will (almost) bring you into used Barefaced territory (if you are lucky!). Or if GAK have any of those 212s left (at £379).

But you don't have a lot of options at your price point - not if you genuinely want a cab that is loud but light.

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Jamesemt' timestamp='1382559066' post='2253760']Best sounding previous setup was Genz Benz Shuttle 312 with a 2x10 extension cab but I feel I was missing something and would possibly like to try 15s.[/quote]

Not sure what you thought you were missing, but if it was bottom end there is no guarantee that 15s will give it. That is more down to the design of the cab, not the diameter of the speaker(s) in it.

More bass usually involves a bigger box to house the speaker, which also makes it heavier - making your goal of a light cab even more difficult to achieve! Sorry to be the bearer of bad news... :(