Why become a member? ×

My Warwicks (UPDATED)

rjb

Hello all, here are my bass playing toys!

Warwick Thumb NT (2005)
Warwick Streamer Std 1PU (2000) with modded Seymour Duncan electronics
Ashdown 130 Electric Blue Combo

[attachment=9902:warwicks_rjb_s.jpg]

That is all!

Cheers,
RJB

UPDATE: Now have a new ThumbBO4....
[attachment=13374:DSC00117small.jpg]

Edited by rjb

Hey Josh,

Love it - really dark with loads of midrange (trying to avoid the "g" word). :)

It complements my Std (which has a more old-school p-bass sound due to it's single pup) very well.

Rick

Edited by rjb

I'm not a great fan of Warwicks as u all know, and always considered them a bass for young bass players for some peculiar reason, but these look great.
I wish someone would tell me what the heirarchy in Warwicks ie: which is the best/most expensive models in some sort of value order.

Edited by phsycoandy

[quote name='phsycoandy' post='226112' date='Jun 24 2008, 07:02 PM']I'm not a great fan of Warwicks as u all know, and always considered them a bass for young bass players for some peculiar reason, but these look great.
I wish someone would tell me what the heirarchy in Warwicks ie: which is the best/most expensive models in some sort of value order.[/quote]

Hopefully this should be of some help then :) : [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=19186&st=0&start=0"]The Warwick Heriarchy.....in short.[/url]

Though we forgot to mention that the most expensive Warwick is the Jonas Hellborg model, closely followed by NT Vampyres, but is a case of looking at retailers and seeing all the prices to get the picture.

[quote]Hey Josh,

Love it - really dark with loads of midrange (trying to avoid the "g" word). wink.gif

It complements my Std (which has a more old-school p-bass sound due to it's single pup) very well.

Was thinking of topping out my collection with a little Fender Mustang sidekick for these two.

Rick[/quote]

Why avoid saying "Growl"?? They are absolute dogs :huh:

But again man congrats on the bass and soon enough I'll be getting mine.

[quote name='matt_citizenbass' post='226029' date='Jun 24 2008, 04:54 PM']nice basses man!

what happened to the streamer?[/quote]

Nothing! There's just a lighter area of grain on one of the Carolena wings and the light in my room makes it stand out. I bought it partly because of that quirk - it's a very noticable trait and it adds a bit of character. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the wood itself. I'll add a pic to show it better....

[quote name='phsycoandy' post='226112' date='Jun 24 2008, 07:02 PM']....and always considered them a bass for young bass players for some peculiar reason.....[/quote]

Well perhaps at one point, but I think the britpop/post punk revival scene has made Fenders cooler to younger kids these days. Warwicks now have a bit of an older "muso/metal/jazz" tag. If I was to turn up for a jam with The Kooks (oh, the horror) they'd no doubt make me switch to a Fender so a not to ruin their "image"! :)

Furthermore the the Thumbs in particular really don't suit the low slung, "rock star" style of play. You have to sling them high like a "jazz-dude" to keep the buggers still due to the short horn and small body.

Edited by rjb

• 2 months later...

Have recently bought a ThumbBO to complete my 4 string Thumb collection. :huh: Bought this from Benwhiteuk and have given it a full wax refinish.

Fun to see how they differ when lined up. The BO's body is longer to accomodate the neck pocket. The BO has the friendlier balance of the two and is lighter (and brighter) to play. The NT is much more "hardcore" :) - those with fragile spinal columns would do well to stay away. :huh:

[quote name='rjb' post='283807' date='Sep 14 2008, 06:24 PM']Have recently bought a ThumbBO to complete my 4 string Thumb collection. :huh: Bought this from Benwhiteuk and have given it a full wax refinish.

Fun to see how they differ when lined up. The BO's body is longer to accomodate the neck pocket. The BO has the friendlier balance of the two and is lighter (and brighter) to play. The NT is much more "hardcore" :) - those with fragile spinal columns would do well to stay away. :huh:[/quote]

Just looking at that pic reassures me why I prefer a NT Thumb over a BO, it just looks amazing :huh:

[quote name='Josh' post='283829' date='Sep 14 2008, 06:56 PM']Just looking at that pic reassures me why I prefer a NT Thumb over a BO, it just looks amazing :huh:[/quote]

I've actually been very pleased by how different they actually are. The BO is much brighter and has a simpler 2 band EQ. Of course, the NT blows it out of the water with an even bigger middy sound, but the BO is much lighter to play and as a result will mostly likely be taken gigging.

As for the look, though the NT's bubinga is much prettier, I'm still digging the BO's "driftwood" look. :)

ooo Matron, what a lovely pair you have there :huh: Nothing compares to “The Sound of Wood”! [color="#808080"][size=1](IMO)[/size][/color]

Really glad you’re enjoying the diversity of the 2 and the different feel/sound that the BO can offer…I never realised how different the body shape was though! Crazy!

Hopefully your back can survive a 2 hour set now :)