Why become a member? ×

12AX7 Rocket Tubes

vocrockguitars

[quote name='Biaeothanata-Bassist' timestamp='1383103392' post='2260260']
I'm really interested in trying each of them out, especially the "Nitro" one in my Hartke LH500 to see what drive it can produce from the amp.

Heck, if they're no good, they're no good! I'm not going to pass judgment on them until i've tried them.

If they do suck, i'll stick a Groove tubes gold in it. Simple.
[/quote]

LH500 pre is designed to be clean all the way, and with no post gain volume control, a higher gain valve will just make the volume control work a bit earlier.

That's fine by me, the amps volume needs to kick in a bit earlier than it does to me anyway.

I'm not on about getting valve distortion from it, just a bit more drive from the pre amp to make it a bit richer on the harmonic side. That's what I did with an old Trace Elliot I used to use. Regret ever selling it but this Hartke is a great amp

Edited by Biaeothanata-Bassist

[quote name='vocrockguitars' timestamp='1382533866' post='2253285']
New pre amp tubes just released by rocket tubes. They come in 2 Variants. A low gain version labelled as CLEAN and a Higher Grade Version Labelled as NITROUS. We have put these in several amps and they sound very nice. Cryo Treated and other mod cons make these tubes an exciting new addition to the tube tone world. A great new Vacuum Tube. You can read info about them on
[url="http://www.rocket-tubes.com"]www.rocket-tubes.com[/url]

We are proud to be one of the first to get hold of these in the UK :) [attachment=146759:rocket-tubes-12ax7clean.jpg][attachment=146760:rocket-tubes-12ax7nitrous.jpg]
[/quote]

The website doesn't say a lot, there are no prices and i'd like to know what factory they came out of? I'm not a huge fan of the chinese cheapo 83's. Can't see the jacket doing a lot for microphonics.

quite a few other websites offer matching services like this.

[quote name='umph' timestamp='1383176614' post='2261344']
The website doesn't say a lot, there are no prices and i'd like to know what factory they came out of?
[/quote]

"Unfortunately we are not at liberty to reveal our sources but what we can tell you is that the tubes that reach our distributors are of a small proportion of tubes that actually pass our criteria of testing. There are a lot of tubes that do not meet that criteria. We send the top tubes to be cryogenically treated and then re-test before final distribution.

Currently we are only supplying to a handful of European and US distributors and do not deal with non Trade or public retail. Sorry about that. Unless you are a trade or tube retailer. If you are, we can discuss minimum quantity criteria and price breaks with you."

So you can't find out where they're from and you can't buy them. I'd stick with Watford Valves, frankly...

Edited by discreet

The biggest tube makers used to be Russia because a bundle of Russian military systems still run with tubes, the MiG 25 still flys in active service and uses tubes!

Since they began a hard modernisation process the demand for tubes dried up in the Russian military and so the factories closed.

I would bet my bottom dollar there are military warehouses and storage yards in Russia with boxes of thousands of mint NOS 60's tubes sitting there doing nought...

Edited by throwoff

[quote name='Bolo' timestamp='1383213079' post='2261516']
So how come nobody in w-europe is manufacturing übertübes? (Now there's a brand name!) There is obviously a demand. Is it filthy labour-intensive work that only illiterate exploitable peasants will take?
[/quote]

Horrible chemicals needed to do it right mean massive costs to set it up and be safe and healthy for workers.

[quote name='throwoff' timestamp='1383222911' post='2261708']
I would bet my bottom dollar there are military warehouses and storage yards in Russia with boxes of thousands of mint NOS 60's tubes sitting there doing nought...
[/quote]

There are tons, but they are often not direct equivalents to in amplifiers. Few dodge ebay sellers selling them as such anyway.

I've spotted 'em on ebay at £24.95 a pop..

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12AX7-ECC83-Rocket-Tube-Preamp-Valve-NITROUS-GRADE-Higher-gain-Guitar-or-Hi-Fi-/231076387104?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Valves_Vacuum_Tubes&hash=item35cd39d920#ht_1592wt_958"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12AX7-ECC83-Rocket-Tube-Preamp-Valve-NITROUS-GRADE-Higher-gain-Guitar-or-Hi-Fi-/231076387104?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Valves_Vacuum_Tubes&hash=item35cd39d920#ht_1592wt_958[/url]

Not sure I'd be willing to throw that much money at 1 pre-amp valve. I recently bought a quad of Shuguang EL84s for my Leak for the same monies. And inspite the stigma of 'Made in China', they're great sounding. These may well be from the same factory..

[quote name='VTypeV4' timestamp='1383239196' post='2262025']
Not sure I'd be willing to throw that much money at 1 pre-amp valve.
[/quote]

Me neither, especially as I suspect a Russian Electro Harmonix 12AX7 would do the same (or better) job for less than a tenner.

These won't fit in any of my amps, as all my amp have valve cans for the preamp tubes. They look like shugangs to me by looking at the guts. I have tried their top end ECC83 via pm componets (golden dragon) they are actually quite nice. They are very warm, in fact too warm for me in my gear as its all valve and high voltage. But suspect they would be very good in a hybrid amp which you are looking for maximum warm.
In my humble opinion there are two modern production valves that are good, that is the Gold Lions (russia) and the Full Music (china) Both have zero microphonics, balanced, smooth and very linear. The full music is the best it has a huge sound stage and a very low noise floor. Totally overkill for a bass amp but great in my stereo.
I hear Rode have started putting them in their mics, they used to put telefunkens in..... But if you can find one to buy you are a better man than me, as they a produced in small quantities by a very old man in china!

[quote name='dan670844' timestamp='1383245510' post='2262136']
... as they a produced in small quantities by a very old man in china!
[/quote]

... in a cave on a hillside, visited by his acolytes, and every now and then he has to stop to spin a prayer wheel or two and meditate.

;)

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1383249126' post='2262223']
And chant the mantra....

[s]Nyam-yo-ho-matamp-barefaced-handbuilt-tonejunki-ren-yo-ho[/s] Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii-watt..!
[/quote]

Fixed :mellow:

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1383240200' post='2262043']
Me neither, especially as I suspect a Russian Electro Harmonix 12AX7 would do the same (or better) job for less than a tenner.
[/quote]

Found EHX valve to sound good for dirty stuff, but die pretty soon, lots of them end up in my bin.

[quote name='dan670844' timestamp='1383245510' post='2262136']
These won't fit in any of my amps, as all my amp have valve cans for the preamp tubes.
[/quote]

I'm sure 10 seconds with a scalpel would solve that, but then you'd lose the bit of shrink-sleeve, uh, I mean "acoustic dampening technology" ;)