Why become a member? ×

12AX7 Rocket Tubes

vocrockguitars

New pre amp tubes just released by rocket tubes. They come in 2 Variants. A low gain version labelled as CLEAN and a Higher Grade Version Labelled as NITROUS. We have put these in several amps and they sound very nice. Cryo Treated and other mod cons make these tubes an exciting new addition to the tube tone world. A great new Vacuum Tube. You can read info about them on
[url="http://www.rocket-tubes.com"]www.rocket-tubes.com[/url]

We are proud to be one of the first to get hold of these in the UK :) [attachment=146759:rocket-tubes-12ax7clean.jpg][attachment=146760:rocket-tubes-12ax7nitrous.jpg]

We have not removed the acoustic jackets since we have only just received these in stock from a UK supplier but we have tried them in several amps and we like them a lot. They are branded Rocket Tubes. On our testers and curve trace we have found both variants to be low noise and high quality tubes in terms of emissions and drive. There is roughly about 10% difference in ovrall gain between the Clean and the Nitrous versions with the Clean coming in the mid 90's and the Nitrous just over 100. We think these will be winners.

The original design had more [i]panache [/i]...

[URL=http://s1128.photobucket.com/user/h4ppyjack/media/Just%20Stuff/Sundry/Valve_zps329a2c58.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/h4ppyjack/Just%20Stuff/Sundry/Valve_zps329a2c58.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='vocrockguitars' timestamp='1382534507' post='2253297']
We have not removed the acoustic jackets since we have only just received these in stock from a UK supplier but we have tried them in several amps and we like them a lot. They are branded Rocket Tubes. On our testers and curve trace we have found both variants to be low noise and high quality tubes in terms of emissions and drive. There is roughly about 10% difference in ovrall gain between the Clean and the Nitrous versions with the Clean coming in the mid 90's and the Nitrous just over 100. We think these will be winners.
[/quote]

12AX7 should be 100 as per data sheet (got data sheet for these?), 90 is pretty flawed. Which is kind of standard for modern valves, but testing them and calling the flawed ones a feature is well dodge. Unless they are loads cheaper because they are seconds.

Edit:
[quote]state-of-the-art technology[/quote]

Ha

Edited by Mr. Foxen

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1382635506' post='2254832']
Also afaik there are very few valve factories in the world so unless you commission one to build to your specs (rather than just badging them for you) surely you are left with grading what they send you.
[/quote]

The come in a tolerance range. These seem to be tested and the on spec ones labelled "nitrous" and the 10% under spec ones labelled "clean". The +10% ones presumably go elsewhere.

[quote name='matybigfro' timestamp='1382869726' post='2257284']
Those labels make it look awfully like they're just rebranding any old crap
[/quote]

That's how all valves produced in the last 20 years are sold. Even "as an added feature, these valves don't work properly" isn't even a new one.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1382877835' post='2257418']
Not convinced, but pass my compliments on to whoever designed your website - looks great
[/quote]
+1 too bad it fails on android.
I would totally get these bulbs on visual design alone!

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1382659907' post='2255253']
The come in a tolerance range. These seem to be tested and the on spec ones labelled "nitrous" and the 10% under spec ones labelled "clean". The +10% ones presumably go elsewhere.
[/quote] if you were clever you kept the +10% ones and sold them as super nitro....

A lot of Negative comments. Presumably you guys that have bad things to say have all tried these. Where did you buy them from.

Just to clarify the Clean ones are 10% lower in gain and offer more clean headroom than the Nitrous ones. As a point to note, we test thousands of valves a year and actually all the 12AX7 we have come across (direct from the main factories still producing valves and pre tested) come with gain ranging anything from 90 to 114. 100 is just a ball park figure in the valve specifications. Before anyone comments on original Mullards they also have a massive gain range. Due to the nature of how innards are put together and always has been. Being a valve tone junky I quite like the character and variation you get from tubes anyway.

What we can say about these Rocket tubes is that we like the sound a lot. Can the guys that are dissing them expand on what you don't like about the tone or are you speaking from not having tried them.

You might have been better off posting this in our Affiliates Forum. This is where businesses promote and sell their wares. Plus, I'm sure these are fine valves, but you are up against members who are more than savvy when it comes to the handful of factories that make them and how some might put an acoustic jacket over the usual brand markings. You're on a highway to nothing here quoting figures, certain members will keep you going round in circles all day.

Good luck!

[quote name='vocrockguitars' timestamp='1383047919' post='2259441']
A lot of Negative comments. Presumably you guys that have bad things to say have all tried these. Where did you buy them from.

Just to clarify the Clean ones are 10% lower in gain and offer more clean headroom than the Nitrous ones. As a point to note, we test thousands of valves a year and actually all the 12AX7 we have come across (direct from the main factories still producing valves and pre tested) come with gain ranging anything from 90 to 114. 100 is just a ball park figure in the valve specifications. Before anyone comments on original Mullards they also have a massive gain range. Due to the nature of how innards are put together and always has been. Being a valve tone junky I quite like the character and variation you get from tubes anyway.

What we can say about these Rocket tubes is that we like the sound a lot. Can the guys that are dissing them expand on what you don't like about the tone or are you speaking from not having tried them.
[/quote]

I bought them from China, just like these were (unless they are rebranded Russian ones, which I've also tried, but I got those from redistributors in Europe who test and grade them and don't pretend the bad ones have a special feature). I didn't put them in magic jackets though, if they need help with microphonics I put them in the bin. There are only about 4 places making valves in the world, who make maybe up to half a dozen 12AX7 variants each, and something like 200 rebrander on those same valves.

Also, original Mullard tolerances were much higher than a 24% range. 40 year old Mullards may well have a poor tolerance due to the ravages of time.

Agreed about there only being a handful of current manufacturers. I have no doubt that those Rocket tube guys have purchased them from one of the main stay current manufacturers but they are claiming they have carefully selected and graded these as well as having them cryo treated. The jacket they put on is to help in the area of microphony not to hide a bad tube. All we are saying is we have tried these and think they are great. Has anyone else. We would like to hear comments about anyone else who has tried them and can comment on the tone. Mr Foxen, thank you for your comments. Are you saying you purchased your rocket tubes from China. What did you think of the tone.

[quote name='vocrockguitars' timestamp='1383061100' post='2259666']
Are you saying you purchased your rocket tubes from China. What did you think of the tone.
[/quote]

No, just generic chinese valves without branding, branding is cost that contributes nothing. The tone depends on the amp, as long as the valve is right, the circuit is the determining factor in how things sound. The ones that ineeded 'help n the area of microphony' get binned, as do the ones that are enough under spec to affect tone of the amp got binned. If I knew what manufacture these were, I'd be able to get more specific, hence asking in the first post.

Edited by Mr. Foxen