Why become a member? ×

First Double Bass, on hold for now!!

jimbobothy

Hi folks,

Well as you can guess I'm looking to buy a Double Bass, I'm starting with classical studies then onto other bits and bobs.

I've seen some on the Thomann website that look ok, but I think I'd rather buy used as it's generally better value.

Anyone got some good suggestions for a decent beginner bass?

Cheers.

Edited by jimbobothy

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1382473691' post='2252699']
Best of luck with it and get watching Geoffs discover double bass videos :)
[/quote]

+1 ...and you are lucky enough to be maybe not so far away from maestro Geoff by the looks of things !

( in case you are wondering where to look try here http://basschat.co.uk/topic/215050-new-youtube-double-bass-lessons/ ! )

Edited by ubassman

Hey, Geoff is a about 40 minutes from me so I will probably consider getting some jazz lessons at some point. There is also a classical teacher even closer (err, about 2 miles!) to me called Jennifer Nicks. As I initially want to play classical I plan to at least start my Double Bass playing with her. I've also enquired about the Stentor Student II for sale on here, just have to wait and see how far away it is!! Cheers for the advice and comments anyhow, peace.

Edited by jimbobothy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Looked at one last night but a: don't know what to look for tbh and b: waiting for funds etc. I've been pricing up a new one as opposed to waiting until never never to get a good used one. Thomann do some interesting ones but I would really rather buy used, much better value. Anyhow I'll keep looking as I really want to start using a bow!!

Peace.

Hi again,

I know what you mean - I didn't really know just what to look for either....
It's a tricky game really
But I think that by going for a 2nd hand DB, you should get better value

Also, several BC'ers on here advised me to steer clear of G4music
as their basses may be problematic
I can't confirm that, but I did buy a case from them, and that was not a great service

I've heard people say that Thomann are better
and some have had good experiences with Geddo - their basses do look good!

I'd just say go & try a couple if you can
That wasn't easy for me, because not many shops stock them in my neck of the woods

You may also want to consider buying an electric DB to start off...
My 1st DB was a Stagg EDB
They are cheap, and you get a lot of instrument for your money!
Plus, I'm keeping mine for;

a - backup - in case of disaster
b - flexibility - I could play half a set with bass guitar and half with the EDB
c - I actually like it anyway
d - it folds down to a very portable size

I've seen them go on here in the for sale section for about £200
One was even going for £170 ish :o

Anyhow - just a few more thoughts for you

Cheers, and peace to you too :)

Marc

Edited by Marc S

[quote name='jimbobothy' timestamp='1382548321' post='2253543']
There is also a classical teacher even closer (err, about 2 miles!) to me called Jennifer Nicks. As I initially want to play classical I plan to at least start my Double Bass playing with her.
[/quote]

Jennifer Nicks is an excellent teacher. I have lessons with her and have been really pleased. Lots of luck with it!

Might be a good idea to get a lesson before you buy a bass. I found doing that very helpful when it came to buying second hand. Also, the teacher may know some instruments for sale.

I'd go for a bass sold on here by a known seller, if I were you. Buying new, the consensus seems to be for Gedo.

Best of luck with the search. :)

Hi,

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-4-double-bass-with-Ritter-case-and-bow-/161145113862?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Sting_Instruments&hash=item2584ff4d06"]This might be worth looking[/url] at if you can determine the origin of the bass. Not too far from you either.

Edited by TPJ

[quote name='TPJ' timestamp='1383911142' post='2270662']
Hi,

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-4-double-bass-with-Ritter-case-and-bow-/161145113862?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Sting_Instruments&hash=item2584ff4d06"]This might be worth looking[/url] at if you can determine the origin of the bass. Not too far from you either.
[/quote]

That does look good, although the seller says more about the case than the bass. A few questions are in order, but the seller sounds genuine enough.

Hey folks, I've messaged the seller so we'll see. I think I need a bass for my first lesson as I'll be being taught from my home, be a bit odd if I don't have one tbh. I'll have some funds to maybe get a newer one but I would prefer used, kinda like my things warn in a bit B), Anyhow cheers for the comments, keep em coming please!

When you first start playing DB it's difficult to know what feels right, and what feels good
as it may feel quite un-natural to begin with

When I was thinking about buying, someone suggested trying my local council
to see if I could hire one
That was a dead end for me - but maybe it's worth trying a local school orchestra?
They may let you have a go on a bass?

Also worth asking for tutors who have a spare /second bass
Must be one or 2 of those around?

Again, good luck & keep us posted
I'm so glad I got my first DB
Can't imagine being without it now :)

I bought my Gedo 5-string new and it sounds and plays great.

I have spent a lot of time listening to bass players sounds and have concluded that the variables are pretty wide. Agonising over buying basses is inevitable but essentially futile. Buy a Gedo that fits your budget and get on with playing the damn thing. Everything else comes from that, not from agonising over catalogues!

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1384507456' post='2277405']
I bought my Gedo 5-string new and it sounds and plays great.

I have spent a lot of time listening to bass players sounds and have concluded that the variables are pretty wide. Agonising over buying basses is inevitable but essentially futile. Buy a Gedo that fits your budget and get on with playing the damn thing. Everything else comes from that, not from agonising over catalogues!
[/quote]

Indeed :)
I think if I was going to get a new bass,
I'd go for Gedo - people on here seem to rave about them....

Listen to 'Caustic' on my Soundcloud page; that's the Gedo. Personally, I think it sounds remarkably like a double bass. Maybe not the best sound ever, I accept, but what do you expect for £1500?

Ironically, it sounds better now that I have been playing it a year longer!!

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1384524930' post='2277724']
Listen to 'Caustic' on my Soundcloud page; that's the Gedo. Personally, I think it sounds remarkably like a double bass. Maybe not the best sound ever, I accept, but what do you expect for £1500?

Ironically, it sounds better now that I have been playing it a year longer!!
[/quote]

Yes, I've heard some people say the sound of DB's actually improve with time...
There's a thread on here somewhere, discussing how this can happen....
Just hope my playing improves over time too ;)

EDIT: Sounds nice BTW!

Edited by Marc S