Why become a member? ×

Your best amp for ACG....

LukeFRC

So right up there with are Fodera's to much, does it work with metal and what bass is best.....

another highly subjective thread containing no absolute truths, just opinions!

So all you ACG users.... I have an ACG pre in my main bass, massive wide warm sound is how I would describe it- it seems to bring out the harmonics and sounds great....

But what amp (or amp type) do you find it works well with? I've tried woolly valvey stuff (ashdown) big sounding solid state stuff (tecamp puma 1000) and recently found it sounds good plugged straight into the poweramp of my puma.
What do you find works, sounds good - and why?

I don't have any particular amp or cab when using my ACG bass. In order to get the bass sound of the bass i have to adjust the preamp when using different amp/cab, because each brand voice my bass different.

For your reference i use Ashdown LB30 (all valve) and TC BC212 and my ACG 5 string sounded a beast.

Edited by badboy1984

I've used mine with:

Genz shuttle - sounded vacuous and displeasing
Acoustic Image Focus II - sounds crisp and beautiful
MB MLII & III - sounds rich and fruity while still retaining the clarity

All through an EAD Foundation 212 cab which is lovely and transparent and puts out exactly what I put in! I also had a Barefaced S12t before that but the EAD is clearer in all respects

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1382347250' post='2250800']
I've used mine with:

Genz shuttle - sounded vacuous and displeasing
Acoustic Image Focus II - sounds crisp and beautiful
MB MLII & III - sounds rich and fruity while still retaining the clarity

All through an EAD Foundation 212 cab which is lovely and transparent and puts out exactly what I put in! I also had a Barefaced S12t before that but the EAD is clearer in all respects
[/quote] it's interesting how the amp makes such a difference. I'm kinda torn between a cleaner than clean amp for it or something more trad and rock

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1382355611' post='2250992']
it's interesting how the amp makes such a difference. I'm kinda torn between a cleaner than clean amp for it or something more trad and rock
[/quote]

I always start with my pre set nice and neutral and if the amp provides a good firm sound to start with I can then do minor tinkering with the filters to get a wide variety of sounds out of it, if I have to bend the filters in order to get a reasonable sound out of the amp in the first place there aren't as many sonic places I can go from there...that's my theory anyways ;)

Edited by andydye

• 2 months later...

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1387824755' post='2316189']
I don't own an ACG but I imagine you want something that will let the natural tone of the bass shine through and pick up every nuance. The Phil Jones range is very accurate, articulate, clear and uncoloured to my ears.
[/quote]

Another Phil Jones vote from me. It's only the baby double 4 but it really lets the acg tone shine through. Gives it another dimension compared to the ashdown I previously used.