Why become a member? ×

If cost was no object, which bass?

AM1

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1382969166' post='2258558']
How about something built by Jon Shuker and Sheldon Dingwall and then finished by Ritter. *Drooooooools
[/quote]

I doubt that any of those 3 would entertain doing something like that!

I'd ask Yamaha to make me a replica of James Lomenzo's Custom Shop BB bass (below)

Wired slightly different to the Attitude II basses but has the same concept and the body is a bit smaller than a standard BB. The neck also draws me in with the black binding and diamond inlays. Also, that burst... Oh! Only differences I'd have in it though are the pickups, I'd swap the 2 Dimarzio P pick ups for a pair of Seymour Duncan SPB-4s (Steve Harris signature pick ups)

[quote name='AM1' timestamp='1382296793' post='2250361']
Howdy

Tough question, but if money was no object and you could literally have any bass on the planet, what would you choose and why?
[/quote]

A Stingray.
Fiesta red, with maple fingerboard.

I guess I'm not particularly exotic in my tastes.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1382299956' post='2250436']
I'd keep the basses I've got and buy an Aston Martin.
[/quote]

ha ha ... yep,

Very happy with my basses and I am not after anything, so I'd be spending on something else..and and Aston sounds the ticket...assuming I also could afford to run it.
Lottery win and a new additional bass might be on the cards ...along with quite a few other things, but I don't think my basses need changing atm..

I'd have Alembic build me a Musicman (with Gibson Ripper pickups/wiring on either side of the MM pickup) / Rickenbacker 4001 / Fender Jazz setup with 3 necks (fretless 5, fretted 6, fretted piccolo 6)

oh and it would have some wild colorful in-your-face wood grain finish (burled something or other in translucent glow in the dark rainbow-on-angled-viewing blue/pink)

oh oh oh and I'd definitely get my fretted SUB's 14th fret evened out too since it would no doubt STILL be my #1 fretted bass.

I'd also get my fretless SUB's fingerboard slightly leveled up at the highest area (20th fret area) since it's a tiny spec buzzy there if I am being really really picky) since it will always remain my #1 bass to play.

Edited by donkelley

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1382981516' post='2258771']
And they would be your first choice of builders for that much each?
[/quote]

Yeah, most playable and best sounding basses I've ever played were either Shukers or Dingwalls, the nicest finished basses I've ever seen have been Ritters. :D

I'd take the pickups & preamp out of my EBMM 25th HSS 4 string, ditch the neck pickup, and fit them into the American Jazz deluxe I sold recently (2009 model with the smaller body in sunburst, tort pickguard and I'd change the rosewood neck it had for maple). Most comfortable and lightweight bass I've ever played but I'm a sucker for a maple board and want a passive option. The 25th gives me the sounds I want, the jazz deluxe the comfort and feel and with maple, the looks. Not that I've given this much thought of course!

[quote name='GrammeFriday' timestamp='1383257829' post='2262389']If money were truly no object, you could do both![/quote]

Yeah, well, yeah I suppose.

I saw a thing the other day where Lewis Hamilton was saying when he goes to India it really upsets him to see all the child poverty and he's done a couple of appearances for UNICEF because he feels so strongly about it. But of course he's also amassed a huge personal fortune and then moved to a tax haven so he could keep all of it. I'm not sure hoarding money is the best way to get people out of poverty but what do I know.

I feel bad enough spending a few hundred quid on a bass tbh.