Why become a member? ×

If cost was no object, which bass?

AM1

I have the Bass I have always wanted, it cost me £250. I could happily spend £400 on upgrades for it, though. There are a couple of Basses I fancy, the most expensive of which is about £600 brand new.

If money really was no object then I would build myself a fully fitted out workshop, take classes in Bass building and design and build my very own Bass from scratch. To be honest, I haven't put much more thought into it than that.

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1382375737' post='2251430']
If we're talking celebrity basses I'd go for Lemmy's maple boarded Rick. Just to see if it really is a Rick. And then publicly burn it if it turns out to be a 'faker, just to keep JH happy. :)

Oh, and welcome back to the forum Anne Marie. :)
[/quote]

Why thank you kind Sir :-)

No one has said a GB or a Status Empathy yet. You're all sacked! :-)

There's something not right when all my top five dream basses all cost more than a "sensible" small car! *

* sensible, what's that?!

Until recently, one of them would have been a Gibson Thunderbird, but OH LOOK I'VE JUST BOUGHT ONE.

That leaves a US Fender Precision on the list - have to say, I was quite taken with the 2011 and 2012 ones I tried not long ago. Kind of tempted by a Ric as well, but I've never actually played one! I do quite like the look, and Roger Glover and Lemmy have demonstrated that they can be made to sound good. But if money were no object, I expect I'd have time to shop around.

And of course, if money were no object, I'd like to [i]try[/i] an Alembic...never been a fan of active basses generally, but some of those videos of John Entwistle's isolated bass have got me reconsidering.

[quote name='Bo0tsy' timestamp='1382532723' post='2253260']
What is that bass??!! - in a strange way I kinda really like it! Does it come in a four string! :D
[/quote]

It's on the ritter website here [url="http://www.ritter-basses.com/item_info.php?i=459"]http://www.ritter-ba..._info.php?i=459[/url] check out the other pics...

Its called 'The Birthday Party Bass'.. apparently ..

I think it's brilliant....

Edited by CamdenRob

Only one??

Tough choice, it would probably be another Roscoe, almost certainly a Century Signature, with some gorgeous wood on it and things and stuff, and maybe not a 35" scale, or maybe, and it would have to be as light as my current bass (which is light as a feather), and it would need to oooze funkiness striaght into me, and be all fab and whatsit :gas: !!!!

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1382345743' post='2250763']
Scott LaFaro's reconstructed bass (as Danny Thompson won't be selling 'Victoria' any time soon!)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fqQ9dCk9oU[/media]
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I5-PgCFlx1k#t=10"]http://www.youtube.c...5-PgCFlx1k#t=10[/url]
[/quote]

I played that bass! It is UNGODLY good!

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1382373990' post='2251405']
American Standard Precision. Get one and get a seat at the top table of bass ownership - at the head of the table where the King sits.

From about £500 used to £1050 new - so money is indeed no object for most people.

No better bass. Accept no imitations. Strap on. Rock.
[/quote]

Tried one. Was more impressed by a Squire Jazz.

As for which bass I'd get if money were no object, I'd simply have to play as many as possible until something inside me says "that one".

[quote name='AM1' timestamp='1382296793' post='2250361']
Howdy

Tough question, but if money was no object and you could literally have any bass on the planet, what would you choose and why?
[/quote]

Jack Casady hollowbody Epiphone. Reports are about 98 percent positive; most are gushing. I play a Fender jazz; I think the change would be fun.

W.

[quote name='gsgbass' timestamp='1382581001' post='2253975']
I used a Rickenbacker 4003, that cost a bit more than the Fender American Deluxe. For what I've found for myself, an American Standard, or an American Deluxe Jazz is great without worrying about money being no object. I could have spent more but I don't need to.
[/quote]

Hmmm, I kind of agree. I (mostly) use a Stingray 5, I bought it used and it's exactly what I need, so I don't need to spend any more.........but........I'd love a Wal.

[quote name='EmmettC' timestamp='1382610499' post='2254266']
Hmmm, I kind of agree. I (mostly) use a Stingray 5, I bought it used and it's exactly what I need, so I don't need to spend any more.........but........I'd love a Wal.
[/quote]

I thought the Ricenbacker 4003 was a bit better than a Fender Jazz, until I did some studio work in Nashville, TN. I switched back to a Fender Jazz.