Why become a member? ×

Be honest now

norvegicusbass

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1382429451' post='2251907']
When I'm playing a line, I'm playing it because it sounds right. Which, by happy coincidence, must also mean the theory behind it is solid.
[/quote]

If it sounds right then it is right... You obviously have an inherent musical feel for what is right. I sadly don't... However with a thorough knowledge of which modes I can use over which chords, I find myself coming up with tuneful melodic basslines that I simply could not do naturally by ear... I find that through knowing the theory I am able to write much more interesting music than my natural ability would have allowed me too...

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1382294469' post='2250292']
To know what the notes are at each fret, and to know the relationship between them. I don't see how someone who knows where an A is, and where a C sharp is, and knows the relationship between them, plays them and doesn't hear how they sound from one to another, and that they're the first 2 notes from while shepherds wash their socks.

Same with the other intervals, and cadences. You hear amen at the end of a hymn, if you learn that's a plagel cadence, how'd you not know what it sounds like ?
[/quote]

I'm referring to people who self-study generally and not people following some formal study program. I make the observation based on the sort of questions that continually get asked a lot in the theory and technique forum, where people are essentially asking "what rule do I apply in situation x to tell me what to play" - thats not really how thoery works, its so that, as you point out, you develop a catalogue of sounds in your head to guide you.