Why become a member? ×

cabinet covering..... what to choose

ben_eat_pie

hi there,

the main idea behind this post is to find out if there is any difference in the sound depending on a vynil/carpet/bare wood.

it seems the more prestigeous/older cabs are vynil covered, does this mean a thing...

also who like's what.... your veiws on aethestics please!

ben

[quote name='ben_eat_pie' post='223604' date='Jun 21 2008, 02:37 PM']hi there,

the main idea behind this post is to find out if there is any difference in the sound depending on a vynil/carpet/bare wood.

it seems the more prestigeous/older cabs are vynil covered, does this mean a thing...

also who like's what.... your veiws on aethestics please!

ben[/quote]
green vinyl

and no it wont affect the sound

Should you ever build a BFM cab Bill gives options on carpet type coverings and paint such as Duratex. There doesn't seem to be any sound factor in these choices - that's a more fundamental aspect of the design in his case.

I suspect if you're renovating something it would be best to stick with something akin to the original cover?

Hi folks,

I have taken to using ABS plastic as the covering with aluminium edging and steel corners... makes it a bit more roadworthy for my liking.... rather than my poor mates who shell out on new viynl covered cabs only to have them look 10 years old after 12 months of gigging... I also like metal grilles for the same practical reasons...

However, two cabs i built for home use are recalimed solid oak, although still with metal grilles... if anyone is interested, I will add a few pics when the first of the ABS covered cabs are finished (over next month or so when i get through current busy period)...

I imagine there will be differences in dampening of material coverings, but whether or not the effect is discernible or measurable is another thing - construction matrial for main body of the cab and the drivers used will have most effect...

:)

Edited by male33lancs

[quote name='ben_eat_pie' post='223604' date='Jun 21 2008, 02:37 PM']...the main idea behind this post is to find out if there is any difference in the sound depending on a vynil/carpet/bare wood....[/quote]
Covering makes no difference to the sound of a cab at all.

Tolex rips at the slightest knock and tough paint finishes chip as soon as you look at them. In my experience unless you want the expense and extra weight of Mesa Boogie Road Ready type cabs then carpet is the best finish. Carpet can get manky over time, so get a cover, and then it won't!

[quote name='yorks5stringer' post='224214' date='Jun 22 2008, 04:09 PM']+1: I was going to suggest get a Roqsolid or similar cover if you want to protect the cab, irrespective of covering[/quote]+1. You should always invest in some decent, padded covers.
You wouldn't put your bass in the back of the van without a case or gig bag, would you?

this is good guys thanks for the o[pinion. my ashdown combo is carpet, and i put it in the back of my mums car once, forgetting she'd had some fecking hay in there/.... and it's still there.... the hoover won't even get rid of it... has anyone invented a spray you can apply to vynil to minimize damage? something like a seethrough resin?

ben

[quote name='ben_eat_pie' post='224856' date='Jun 23 2008, 11:26 AM']this is good guys thanks for the o[pinion. my ashdown combo is carpet, and i put it in the back of my mums car once, forgetting she'd had some fecking hay in there/.... and it's still there.... the hoover won't even get rid of it... has anyone invented a spray you can apply to vynil to minimize damage? something like a seethrough resin?

ben[/quote]

yeah thats the only real problem with carpet, mine has wood splinters underneath it from the wooden frame we have to put it through to store it under the stage. :)

[quote name='ben_eat_pie' post='224856' date='Jun 23 2008, 11:26 AM']this is good guys thanks for the o[pinion. my ashdown combo is carpet, and i put it in the back of my mums car once, forgetting she'd had some fecking hay in there/.... and it's still there.... the hoover won't even get rid of it...[/quote]

[quote name='lowhand_mike' post='226758' date='Jun 25 2008, 03:46 PM']yeah thats the only real problem with carpet, mine has wood splinters underneath it from the wooden frame we have to put it through to store it under the stage. :)[/quote]

Try a clothes brush, that's what i use, works a treat.

[quote name='ben_eat_pie' post='224856' date='Jun 23 2008, 11:26 AM']...my ashdown combo is carpet, and i put it in the back of my mums car once, forgetting she'd had some fecking hay in there/.... and it's still there.... the hoover won't even get rid of it...[/quote]
Try the upholstery attachment. That got all the cats hairs out of my carpeted cabs.

[quote name='Finbar' post='227741' date='Jun 27 2008, 01:48 AM']The Rhino covering on my Schroeder cab looks as though it should stand up to the rigours of gigging pretty well. Doesn't look as good as carpet though.[/quote]

I was going to say that as well.

I like the carpet covering on my 1210R and thought the Rhino covering on my 1212L was a good idea but it somehow makes the cab look like its made of plastic. certainly cheaper looking IMO.
Then again i suppose ill get used to it and it does seem to keep it cleaner.

Also, the Velcro pads on my MB head bag now dont hold the amp on to the cab (not that it moves anyway)

Edited by dave_bass5

• 1 month later...

I had an Ashdown 210T 300 and 1x15 deep. Yes the cats got at them too, but I discovered the sticky roller that you can buy for removing hair from clothes gets the worst of it off.. If you get the cab really dirty, then you will have to go over it and tear off a few panels of sticky form the the roller, but it generally does the trick.

BTW, does anyone know someone that can re-cover a tolex cabinet?

I went to Marshall and they said they would not re-cover my VBC810 but sell me a replacement cabinte & re-fit my speaker in it for £350 !! I certainly can't afford that at the moment so what options are there please, anyone, help?

Try Matamp, I've heard they would do cab and amp re-covers. Nice team they've got too.

[quote name='Stripey1960' post='259095' date='Aug 10 2008, 12:45 AM']BTW, does anyone know someone that can re-cover a tolex cabinet?

I went to Marshall and they said they would not re-cover my VBC810 but sell me a replacement cabinte & re-fit my speaker in it for £350 !! I certainly can't afford that at the moment so what options are there please, anyone, help?[/quote]