Why become a member? ×

Tutors midlands area

stingrayPete1977

OK folks my function band has gone pear shaped and I am not feeling the elc bass much really so I really need to see if I can find a tutor and get my mojo on with the upright. I have been working through Geoff's discover double bass lessons online which as we know are excellent and if I cant find anyone local I might have to take a drive up to see him in person yet.

I could do with some pointers regarding the bow and a tutor to try my bows out to see if they are ok etc likewise my DB just in case I have some glaring issues I have missed, very possible!

I am based near Stafford but google does not bring much stuff up at all, I have found this guy
[url="http://www.musicteachers.co.uk/teacher/d5366783dedb5969e22b"]http://www.musicteachers.co.uk/teacher/d5366783dedb5969e22b[/url] Paul Jefferies but I have no idea about him, not too far being in Burton so I might drop him an email and see what he says.

Tim Toft's are quite near to me so I was thinking I should ring them and ask if they know a local tutor too?

Any thoughts or suggestions? :D

I am listening to David Wong playing with Hank Jones to get me in the zone, which I am liking a lot :D

I want to be able to at least get a tune out of the bow, make sure the bass and the bow are as they should be, make sure I am holding the bass correctly and make sure my left and right hand techniques are heading in the right direction. That will take a lesson on its own and more probably so lesson 2 would be to get me walking better to some simple jazz tracks etc, after that who knows. :)

If you stomach travelling to Birmingham there's bound to be someone there who could teach you, possibly a jazz student at the Conservatoire (for jazz) or a CBSO player (for classical). The very fine jazz trumpeter Percy Pursglove is also a superb bass player and teaches at the Conservatoire. He lives in Nuneaton but you might be able to see him in Birmingham. Also do you have jazz gigs that happen near your locale? If so, try and get in contact with the musicians and see if they can help you out.

[quote name='mtroun' timestamp='1382201113' post='2249259']
If you stomach travelling to Birmingham there's bound to be someone there who could teach you, possibly a jazz student at the Conservatoire (for jazz) or a CBSO player (for classical). The very fine jazz trumpeter Percy Pursglove is also a superb bass player and teaches at the Conservatoire. He lives in Nuneaton but you might be able to see him in Birmingham. Also do you have jazz gigs that happen near your locale? If so, try and get in contact with the musicians and see if they can help you out.
[/quote]
Looks like I need to do a bit of digging then, thanks.

[quote name='FLoydElgar' timestamp='1382212116' post='2249443']
Jamey Aebersold backing tracks... all 106 books... Learn them... you'll be fine...
[/quote]

That may take some time...

Have you thought about Skype lessons? The John Patitucci artistworks thing seems quite clever. I'm pretty sure at least one basschatter is signed up. If you want me to get in touch with any bass players at Birmingham, they are friends of friends for me. There's a fine bass player studying there now called James Banner, in his final year.

[quote name='FLoydElgar' timestamp='1382370638' post='2251342']
In what way does that take time ?!

It's lesson books used by everyone who plays jazz he can start off at vol 1 and progress with transcription books... But hey what did I know
[/quote]

I meant it would take a long time to learn and master playing over all the different tunes that are presented in the different Jamey Aebersold books. While some of the Aebersold volumes are designed as practice aids for particular problems, the majority are collections of rhythm section backing tracks for practicing particular tunes. Some of the Aebersold books have classic status such as the Cedar Walton one, others I'm not very fond of. Lots of teachers discourage their students from practicing with Jamey Aebersold books but they have their place imo. They certainly aren't any substitute for studying with a more experienced player.

1. Buy Ed Friedlands book on walking bass lines. (understand all the approaches, chromatic, double chromatic, scalar approach, dominant approach) there are indefinitely more but it's a good place to start.

2. If you understand basic harmony, I would suggest writing walking bass lines in 2 and in 4. (4 to start off with) using the triads of each chord but making sure the line is smooth. ( I don't know how to describe this in writing) (Take a jazz standard for example Autumn Leaves) So I recommend a Fakebook or the online Irealbook is also very good.

3. To start off with you want to make sure you're using the strong/weak beat rule. So beats 1 and 3 are strong so if you were walking from.

CM7 to Dm7b5. You could play, C, Eb, G, Bb (the arpeggio) and then for Dm7b5 you would come back in the direction you started. So Ab, F, D, C. (another arpeggio just a different inversion)

It's really hard to explain just by typing so I recommend a good teacher, If you can write bass lines using the methods above but if you can focus on staying in half and 1st position. To start off with, this would be useful.

Learning how to write bass lines which voice lead from the chord to start off with would be very useful and out of all the different teacher I have had this has been the most beneficial. (but this is just my opinion, it's neither right or wrong`)

[quote name='ubassman' timestamp='1382536814' post='2253342']
...I think trying to find a good tutor is kind of the idea behind starting this thread ! ;)
[/quote]

My bad, didn't read the whole thread.

If you're some what close to Birmingham I would sent the Conservatoire an email. If you have any local jazz jam sessions go to them and look for a teacher or if you know of any other well regarded bass players locally get a recommendation.